1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

do you trust dmoz?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by trichnosis, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't, I was too lazy, but I wish I would have, that is kind of funny.

Why? That's not within the guidelines, and I've yet to see an editor even say it's a factor. I think that getting your site established can certainly help, and showing that your site has staying power can likely be a bonus, but neither is strictly a factor in the editors decision to add it or not.

I've seen brand new sites listed within weeks and there are sites that are several years old that do not have a listing...

Qryztufre, Jul 21, 2008 IP
    Bryce likes this.
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Does it matter if a site is new or old ? I thought as it conforms to the listing guidelines then it could be listed. Just an opinion.

Wow that's really a long time to wait and a very sucking criteria to get listed. How about those sites that are listed that have a geocity / yahoo domains. That sure would not pass a listing or does it.
    Kidding aside I have a site that is even referenced by MSN Encarta but is not listed in DMOZ and its doing good in SERPS.

My question is do I like it to get listed ?
    Yes of course.
    Can it get listed ?
    No it can't.
    Does it bother me ?
    No
    Why ?
    Because that's the way it is if your Public Enemy No.5 (no.1 is gworld) :D

popotalk, Jul 21, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre and Bushranger like this.
  3. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    ooh! Actually the site should be http://worldfamousebooks.com. Mistakenly, I've mentioned my borolook.com site.

Thanks

ASPMachine, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  4. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the point. Why should DMOZ editors have to keep chasing sites that appear and disappear. Not unlike having sex, staying power rules.

I used to think that age of a site and it's importance in it's field shouldn't play a role regarding if it were listed in DMOZ or not. That was until I became an editor for the now defunct ZEAL directory and I saw all the "new" sites that "expected" to be listed just because they spent a few hours creating a site.

Well, you just scored a few backlinks for both of your sites here on DP (which carries a lot of weight), so I humbly suggest you abide yourself with what you've already accomplished and...

The link you just tossed is registered...

Creation Date: 13-Jun-2007

not to mention it's a PR1 site. So if Google is categorizing your site as PR1 which essentially translates to "needs work" - how do you expect to get an authority link from DMOZ when Google views you site as trivial ?

I humbly suggest you spend a little more time exploring this forum and learn a bit about what dictates a website's rankings because all the sites you've shown so far are pretty much entry level.

Not to mention, if you want an authority directory link, why not just spend the $299 and get a Yahoo Directory listing ??? Seems you want it all and want it for free...

Bryce, Jul 21, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  5. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually buddy, I am trying to get backlink to my both of the sites, but get failed. Are there any chance to get listed on Dmoz if I submit my both sites on higher PR directories? I'm always trying to get PR on my new site borolook.com but getting failed. Is really Yahoo Directory can help me get listed on Dmoz and PR to my both sites.

Thanks

ASPMachine, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  6. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    It is just a directory , it seems that it is not as important as before. You don't need to depend on it too much when you expand your business on internet market. Isn't it ?

justinlorder, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  7. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Look at your signature. Evidently you're an expert on directory submission so why are you asking me???

I love it... experts at directory submission touting other people because they can't get into DMOZ. Just like those "SEO Experts" who can't do a simple 301 redirect. Totally bonee ..

Bryce, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  8. john.fisher

john.fisher Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ still the best directory and very valuable to others

john.fisher, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  9. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm doing the submission service for money. I get bored to submit my own site to all these free directories.

ASPMachine, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are many sites with a PR1 and even PR0 within the directory, so that is not really a deciding factor.

I've not looked at this other site though, so maybe that PR IS indicative of something ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  11. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have a problem with dmoz, it's a bit overrated IMO

Brandon Sheley, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  12. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i do not think that DMOZ is the best directory. it has started to become SPAM directory. The expersite of DMOZ is being spam and it's currently a secret paid paid directory. if they convert dmoz a real paid directory, i think it will be more fair.

the price for having a listing on dmoz is 30-150$ on english categories. this price goes to 400$ under world category. you need to pay this money to an editor.

i hope that spam directory is overrated but i do not think that . having a link on dmoz effects your google serp. this is why people pays for listing on dmoz.

god bless you

a clever person who wants to understand the truth.

trichnosis, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  13. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    A clever person would realize that bad mouthing a Directory and it's editing community with total lies, is a very poor way to get his site listed. The ole "You're crooked, list my site to prove you aren't" is so old and transparent that it's laughable.

By the way, nothing that gets said by people on any forum (good or bad), would affect whether their site got listed or not. (with the possible exception of trying to bribe an editor)

Editors don't judge site owners/submitters, they only judge the content on a site and whether it would be useful for the category. It wouldn't matter how big a moron you were personally, it has nothing to do with what we do as editors. (of course I'm a retired editor right now, but that should give my words a little more weight)

crowbar, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  14. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    here is an editor who wants to defend the dmoz.

but i'm allways asking same question to all dmoz editor but they do not answer it.

i saw a web site which created over 800k with automatic queries. this web site has 2 LISTING on dmoz. i have reported it 15 months ago but nobody has deleted that cheater from dmoz listing. but my normal web site is deleted. can you explain me why?

for that time frame , that cheater is getting better & better serp with the help of dmoz. what's the name of that? supporting the cheaters or spammers

when dmoz have no answer or do not want to answer, they giving the same stupid answer:

* i ignore messages

* No website is guaranteed a listing (if you pay an editor or make a spam web site, it will have guaranteed listing:p)

* your website was found not to meet our standards (i have found and reported spam web sites 1 year ago. if the spam web sites stays and normal web sites are deleted, dmoz standart has changed to give a better support to SPAMMERS:rolleyes:)

note: jimnobble who is a dmoz meta editor has banned me because of this thread

15. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No he hasn't. He banned you from RZ for ignoring a direct instruction from an Admin there - as you very well know.

jimnoble, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You gotta be careful more on your words. I might put a belief in your post. ;):D

popotalk, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is that how the Zealots judge a site ? Page Rank ? Trust me you don't wanna know how easy it is to achieve Page Rank. The experts at the Directory Forum could give you an idea about that. :)

18. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Spare me the conjecture please. My statement regarding PR was to make a point that a site having a PR greater than 1 - might actually have some authority and be worth listing in DMOZ. btw, Zeal directory has been closed for years, in case you didn't notice.

If you don't mind me asking, what is RZ ?

Bryce, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  19. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    1) you are not playing fair. you are not honest. you have banned me because this thread. you were looking for a reason to stop my voice on RZ and you have CREATED it.

2) and you are trying to change the main subject. do you have anythink about reply 74?

20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well in my stint at DMOZ I never listed a site based on PR but on content. Yes I know about ZEAL and some of them who migrated to DMOZ; editors had a hard time training them as they know not what they do. :D
    Resource Zone is the unofficial forum of DMOZ and where you'll find most of the gang members. :D