1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

do you trust dmoz?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by trichnosis, Jul 18, 2008.

1. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    no, I am concerned because there are theories that a dmoz listed site might be given an added boost in search engine results compared to an equal site that does not have a dmoz listing

that is a very real concern and your sour grapes comment is extremely insulting

canam, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is his statement about sour grapes more or less insulting than yours that indicates you assume editors are shady?

robjones, Jul 19, 2008 IP
    Bryce likes this.
  3. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're so thin skinned that you find my saying your argument sounds like "sour grapes" extremely insulting, you might want do yourself a favour and stop tossing around non-factual conspiracy theories or at least be prepared for a backlash of criticism.

Now, to put an end to this monkey business, let's see your site that DMOZ won't accept. Perhaps somebody here can enlighten you as to why you are not being accepted.

Otherwise, your point is mute.

Bryce, Jul 19, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  4. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you are correct but i saw a web site which created over 800k with automatic queries. this web site has 2 LISTING on dmoz. i have reported it 15 months ago but nobody has deleted that cheater from dmoz listing. this is a honest thinks. dmoz editors are playing fair

i think 15 months is a big & big time frame for deleting from the directory. am i correct?:D

i have also opened a thread on resource zone about that cheater but dmoz editors does not want to hear or accept it.

i'm sure if i paid one of the editors or make a SPAM web site, everythink will be better and quick. because i see DMOZ is giving 2 listings to the spam web sites.

i agree with you. i hope google will less importance to the spam directory (shortly, you can say dmoz to that:p)

i was thinking that this is you .

i'm not slandering any web site or any person.

here what i live:

1) i have wrote an abuse report a spammer (a web site which creates over 800k pages with automatic queries). This spammer has 2 listing on dmoz.
    2)after i one year, i saw that my NORMAL web site has been deleted but the 2 LISTING OF THAT SPAMMER STAYS ON DMOZ

this spammer is also my competitive web site.

how can you explain this? is dmoz supporting spammers? (i'm sure every editor will say that NO to the question but the real answer is YES)

i have also opened a thread on resource zone about the problem but that thread is closed. as i understand from this dmoz does not want people to learn real or does not want hear that they have made wrong this.

and one more bad side of dmoz is connecting. most of dmoz editors uses the same sentences:

* i ignore messages
    * No website is guaranteed a listing (if you pay an editor or make a spam web site, it will have guaranteed listing:p)
    * your website was found not to meet our standards (i have found and reported spam web sites 1 year ago. if the spam web sites stays and normal web sites are deleted, dmoz standart has changed to give a better support to SPAMMERS:rolleyes:)

* do you have any reason to explain why the spammer is there over 2 years and my NORMAL legal web site is deleted?

* do you have any reason to explain why my abuse report is not checked over 15 months?

i do not believe "a few bad apples". i think there must be a better reason.

trichnosis, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep. That proves they don't delete editor profiles after departure, not that I'm still an editor.

I'd address the other statements, but I see no reason to waste everyone's time... you appear to have that function covered already.

robjones, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  6. baybossplaya

baybossplaya Active Member

Best Answers:
    hell nah....

baybossplaya, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  7. vaiokid

vaiokid Peon

Best Answers:
    I DO NOT TRUST THE DMOZ too

vaiokid, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  8. maviyalniz

maviyalniz Peon

Best Answers:
    Google trust DMOZ... and we mus trust Dmoz :)

maviyalniz, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  9. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't submit a site to dmoz, I don't support what they are doing in any way shape or form. They are elitist and subject to corruption, and I certainly hope that google gives them no extra consideration over any other directory of similar profile.

canam, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  10. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    green rep for trichnosis for being a voice of logic and reason

and thanks for the red, Bryce

canam, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  11. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i mostly intrested this part but nobody explains me why?

i believe dmoz must be a real paid directory. dmoz is currently a secret paid directory:p i think netscape is loosing this but editors are earning great money:D

trichnosis, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  12. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Get your facts straight buddy... btw, it's not like rep from you matters anyway but thanks for the negative rep. I'd neg rep you back but with your attitude, you obviously won't last very long on this forum and it would be a waste of a rep point for me considering you're on your way to being banned for playing games trying to start flame wars and neg repping people who disagree wth you.

You're not only a crybaby and a sadly misinformed individual who believes in unrealistic conspiracy theories, you're a total wonker on top of it.

grow up. :p

Bryce, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nice logic! I assume you would do ANYTHING that Google says then?

What type of proof is needed? Yes, if an URL is publicly listed as being sold, the site is removed as is the editor. Of course, for that reason such things do not happen often... so is it any wonder most of the free lance listings do not list the sites? With the number of completed sales of DMOZ listings, it should at least be an indication of something, shouldn't it?

There are MANY threads here on Digital Point in the buy/sell/trade forums that list services where the URL of the site is not listed... Your logic seems to indicate that those sales never actually take place and should not be considered proof that such a sale has ever happened.

DMOZ listing price list

While I do think there is some corruption (from the top to the bottom) I do think that MOST editors are not that bad...

I'd also like to back you up in saying that DMOZ does not seem to remove ex-editor profiles, as mine is still listed as well, and I am pretty sure they like me even less then they like you ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  14. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    Sitting over the smoke-scaffold is better than trying to get list on Dmoz. It's just a headache and nothing.

ASPMachine, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    a link is better then no link, so I'm not sure I follow what you are saying... mind explaining?

16. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    After submitting my site, I am visiting Dmoz everyday with the hope that one day I get place on it, but, now it's more than 6-7 months passed, no result. Can you tell my buddy, why I am not getting listed on Dmoz? Is my site http://borolook.com is not fit for Dmoz or they are just waiting to get paid something from me?

17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    http://borolook.com/search.asp?pl=a&title=DMOZ&submit=Search

Because you list them @ 7 in your SERP for DMOZ, lol.

What category? How long ago did you submit? How old is your site? Is there content? Does it conform to their guidelines? Does the category you submitted to have an editor?

Don't bother paying, you run the risk of getting your site banned forever...

18. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    I have submitted on http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Searching/Multi-Search/ category 6-7 month before. My site is on 2nd year and I was read the guidelines and I've not found anything to get reject.

19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    What makes your search engine a multi-search?

From what it looks like to me, it's just a regular old search engine and would not fit where you submitted...

I could be wrong though, as I just use Google so I really have no idea about any other search engine ;)

20. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:

Your site isn't two years old heck, it's not even 6-7 months old. What did you do? Submit it the day you registered it ?? Anybody can do a whois lookup and see...

Not to mention you only registered the domain for 1 year. I'd suggest you register your domain for at least 5 years and wait a few years before re-submitting it to DMOZ. btw, you're site doesn't even have Google pagerank yet.

Bryce, Jul 21, 2008 IP