1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

enlighten you guys about directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Danielregwan, Jul 19, 2008.

1. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    "directory submissions are dead unless you got money for quality directories and there aren't many of those.

Yes 5$ is a tremendous amount to spend :)

i earn probably 10 times more then you online, but hey I'm the newbie.. have a nice day and this is the last time I'm going to contribute in this forum
    because of people like this guy.. that can't stand the lack of there own knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Then you are a very rich guy who doesnt know about SEO or PR :)

scoobby, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  2. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

I'm quite reasonable, but I don't see the point of simply agreeing with someone just to keep the peace. If entertainment is why most seek conflict, then they eventually get ignored by me, they will learn little and likely get banned for fighting and not contributing. Result - problem solved.

Keeping subjects on topic is a job for Moderators, not members. But let's keep it on-topic hehe

Event_King, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  3. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Well said. It's the traffic that's the most important thing.

4. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You dont need to agree with people to keep peace but there are ways to disagree with people without it turning into a war. Look, jiten just disagreed with me and we are both fine and dandy, I even repped him for a good point.

SilkySmooth, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  5. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    yes it is a good idea. Which website advertised on the taxi? Bet that wasn't cheap!

6. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @EK: This was off topic so I tried to PM you my response but you have disabled your PMs. The website was a real estate website. Builders are using all form of advertising including TV / Radio commercials to sell their upcoming projects.. Their websites are just placeholder for their maps and sales brochures.

I have seen classified website rubru.in putting their banners on cars and auto-rickshaws and jaaydaad.com (another real estate website) using cars and even scooters for their publicity.

The kind of time and money you have to put in to promote a website depends totally on 'type' of website and existing competition and expected revenue from the website.

Some have to go to lengths of buying television ads but for some directory submissions are enough. I have one website for which I only have forum links. I am just experimenting to see if they are 'ANY' good. Though common sense tells me they are not.

jitendraag, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  7. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    You'll probably get more PR from the forum posts, but the directories will help you more in the SERPs. Google favors related links. Forum posts in related forums will help your SERPs, but posts in unrelated forums won't. Your signature of "yellow fever" is wasted in this forum as far as the SERPs are concerned because it isn't even closely related to web directories.

freelistfool, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  8. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @freelistfool: My opinion about PR from forum SIGs differ from yours. I think directory links (even the free ones) are better at that.

You are partially right about SERPs when we talk about non-related website. Because you are probably assuming that just like my NSE site and OP's yellow fever site all links would be out of place in forum.

A movie review website would make sense in a movie discussion forum.. similarly there are other niche forums and related website could benefit from direct traffic as well as 'related content' on the forums.

jitendraag, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  9. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

I didn't disable my PM, but it was set to 'Receive Private Messages only from Buddies and Moderators' - so please PM me the url as I'd like to check this taxi advertising out - thanks.

10. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    After so many backlinks from one domain, the value of the backlinks are reduced. On a small scale (< 100 posts) your theory may be correct. But on a larger scale, your comparison of gaining PR from forum posts to directory submissions is flawed.

Most directories only have PR on the homepage because their directories are not optimized to retain and distribute PR. In many cases the directories are strong enough to push PR to the category pages and listings, but the directory owners have not taken the proper steps to do so. I made a post about optimizing directory pagerank a while back that covers this topic. I have seen more directories using the methods I and others have described, so that is encouraging.

There are a variety of ways to get backlinks to ones site. Directory listings, combined with other methods, can help offpage SEO efforts. And in some cases, directory listings can improve traffic as well.

Directories are far from dead. What has faded is the desire of some directory owners to maintain and invest in their directories.

snowbird, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  11. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    @ Snowbird - Exactly, and this practise might be an indicator for some quality and doing the right thing by supplying traffic - which is what resources should be doing right.

Ahhh, but not only are directory operators failing to run the sites, the advertisers lose out and pull their ads, never to return. Word of mouth spreads about the directories bad reputation and then we all get a bad reputation. One by one directories are dropping like flies and this isn't made up, I have clear evidence of massive link buying here:

SEO Round Table

Selling PageRank?

Source: http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/000604.html

Google nukes directories: http://www.blogstorm.co.uk/google-nukes-directories/

I'm sure if I looked I'd find hundreds and probably thousands of directories all flogging PR. I think it's awful :(

12. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks and when you left me rep it was gray so I didn't get any point for it :( thanks anyway :)

Anyway, back on topic. A directory purposes just like a phone book to help visitors find your website. So if a directory is getting you backlinks, thats just a few bonus, and if you get lucky enough to get a little PR boost from it, your getting even more luck.

Directories aren't meant to get PR, they are meant to direct visitors to sites that search engines haven't necessarily "captured"

Ben-AceofTech, Jul 19, 2008 IP
    syted and Spider-Man like this.
  13. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's because he's got negative rep (red) so cannot pass on positive or negative rep to anybody else, only grey which has no potency.

Some rep from me for your insight into the industry.

syted, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  14. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You clearly missed the day when Google started manipulating toolbar pagerank so link buyers like yourself stopped buying PR from directories, didn't you? :rolleyes:

mikey1090, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  15. Ben-AceofTech

Best Answers:
    I've never purchased links in directories, I just go for the free ones :)

16. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think Mike's comment was aimed at me :p

syted, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  17. Ben-AceofTech

Best Answers:
    Woops! :p My bad! But seriously... free directories = all the buzz :D

18. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It was aimed at the OP. So far you have posted sound advice around here :)

mikey1090, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  19. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you want PR anyways? It really does nothing for your site.

jg123, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  20. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The unknown in these hypothetical calculations is whether (in passing link juice) Google considers a PR6 to be 6 times the worth of a PR1 link, or whether the PR6 is exponentially more valuable — say, for example, 2,000 times more valuable. Without this knowledge, we are only guessing on the impact of a "PRX" link divided by "Y" number of similar outgoing links from that page.

Jim4767, Jul 19, 2008 IP
    Ben-AceofTech likes this.