1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to build directories with low budget?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ceweqsakti, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So because Mikey decided to be that devil's advocate you decide that it is ok for you to come out with things like this:

Now I tried to do the same thing with Mikeys post to highlight all of the insults he threw at you but I couldn't because the worst that came from him was that he thought your advice was bad.

So really I think it wasn't people like Mikey who drove you to stop using the forum but more so people like yourself.

How is the OP supposed to take any of your advice seriously when you can barely type a sentence without insulting someone or something.

If this is all you have to offer than I think most will agree that we can do without it, thanks all the same.

Now....

The best way to build a low budget directory is to do it yourself, but that would depend on what your skillset, your strengths and weakness's. Can you design or can you program for example? I developed my first directory on a budget of zero, it has a rubbish design but the programming behind it is solid because I wrote it myself.

You can use one of the free scripts to get started, there are several out there but they ALL have their limitations when it comes to growing your directory especially if you are limited when it comes to programming.

The main costs on a budget are always going to be your hosting and your domain. You can usually find a good deal on a domain, just check out the registrars to see what the best offers are.

Dont bother with a dropped domain that has existing PR because the PR will drop and you will lose credibility for doing it in the first place. Credibility will carry you much further in this industry than any pumped up PR directory will.

For hosting, just go to Hostgator, the baby plan is more than adequate for any start up directory.

SilkySmooth, Jul 17, 2008 IP
    hyper, mikey1090 and CReed like this.
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ErectADirectory: 'Location': Head Up His A$$

Seems a bit more fitting.

Why he mentions me without knowing how much I help and what I do, definitely exemplifies exactly where his/her head is.

an0n, Jul 17, 2008 IP
    mikey1090, swedal and hyper like this.
  3. Danielregwan

Danielregwan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you don't have pagerank the directory will be useless, if you got other websites with high pr or a budget to buy
    quality links, you should purchase a domain put some google friendly page and link to it in the next pr update you will get PR, install the directory script and enjoy the profits

Danielregwan, Jul 17, 2008 IP
  4. SilkySmooth

Best Answers:
    [sarcasm]
    Yep, excellent, screw all the people who pay to submit the sites because we don't care about them anyway. Once we are done, we can also sell the site based on the high PR and the profits and make even more money. Rinse and repeat!
    [/sarcasm]

Seriously how long do you think it will take for people to figure out you are scamming them with this approach? Obviously reputation doesn't mean much anymore.

5. Danielregwan

Best Answers:
    sorry but where is the scam, I'm not going to own a directory anytime soon
    but what's wrong with this approach ?

Danielregwan, Jul 17, 2008 IP
  6. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    I can handle criticism from educated people like myself who speak their mind, in fact I encourage it. Bad advice from people who just give the OP false "facts" about the directory business ... well you see how I responded.

I still say $600 (even $100) for a skin job is a total rip off.

Perhaps my head is up my ass, then again, perhaps I'm speaking the truth as I see it. You've helped the community get locked into a script that you don't even back anymore, I see that. I've also seen you have an ego the size of Texas. We all do to an extent but mine doesn't turn me green :]

Sadly, I think you were caught in the crossfire. My comment really had more to do with n00bs thinking that paid mods are supposed to make directories unique; of which, you are the poster child. When in fact, they aren't unique because everybody uses them (deeplinks mod anyone?). So to further explain what I'm saying ... new directory owners: learn to hack and truly make something unique.

Then I read this ...

And I realize I wasted my time posting on this thread ... go figure

ErectADirectory, Jul 17, 2008 IP
  7. SilkySmooth

Best Answers:
    What is wrong with that approach is that you are buying links and selling PR. Both of which Google has just wiped out half of the directories for doing.

So whilst you may start out with a nice PR5 directory from all your paid links, by the time the next update comes around you will be PR0 with a penalty in the SERPS and you will lose all interest in your directory.

Thus, the webmasters who spent money with you have just lost out because your directory will wither and die.

ErectADirectory likes this.
  8. pablopabla

pablopabla Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would rather advocate registering from the beginning and slowly build up the directory. There will always be people who would be willing to submit to sites with PR0 rather than to sites which uses dropped domain or fake PRs which do not last long.

pablopabla, Jul 17, 2008 IP
  9. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

But this is what many directory owners do though - they flog the PR. They aren't interested in providing a service, only extractng the fees. It's just so wrong hehe

@ ErectAdirectory -
    Got it sussed in one paragraph. I'm glad someone understands the meaning of success :)

Event_King, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  10. ceweqsakti

ceweqsakti Banned

Best Answers:
    Good reason,i like this
    So,i want to build this.but Still confused about many kind of suggestion
    my budget is $100
    is it possible?

ceweqsakti, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  11. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to build a low budget directory - first understand you will be ending up with a low budget directory - then.

Find an available new domain and purchase it. $10/yr
    Purchase hosting someplace like hostgator about $80 /yr
    Go to phpld and get the $25 version of the phpld 3.3 $25
    Go and get the free phpld 3.3 template here. It is not unique but is nice just the same.
    Then design a unique category structure
    Write some unique articles and post them on your directory
    Find nice internet resources and set up listings on your directory.
    Get firefox browser and the auto form filler add on
    Go to the free directory list and start submitting to all of them.

Then you will have your "low budget" directory. Just keep in mind that most everyone will recognize it for what it is.

swedal, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  12. Danielregwan

Best Answers:
    sorry but i got some websites with natural PR, I was suggesting buying links because it looks like she doesn't own any website.. If I personally own a directory in the future I will just link to it from my natural pr websites ;P

Danielregwan, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  13. Blox

Blox Banned

Best Answers:
    WoW I don't want to get in fights here already being a noob
    but design is 100% one of THE most important things.

I am doing a niche in a category that is based on presentation
    bad looking design = bad image = no chance of custom.
    A bit like a smelly looking shop with dirty windows and one that is
    clean and bright with well designed dressing, which one are you
    going to walk into? I know my choice.

Blox, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  14. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Before you all get in some tizzy,

The op did not really ask about peoples opinions on design, scripts, promotion etc.

The question was how to build a low budget directory which I think was answered.

swedal, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  15. Blox

Blox Banned

Best Answers:
    Do what I plan to do ignore everything and build build and then build
    after that the pagerank and other things will come.

Blox, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  16. Danielregwan

Best Answers:
    100$ is alot:

6$ for a domain (maybe less depends where you buy it)
    1$-7$ hosting (depends where you buy it)

you can use a Free version of PHPLD or a Paid version
    the cheapest paid version costs 25$ and you link to there website from your footer.

total approx costs:

25+6+4=35$

you can probably open 3 directories with your budget(if the phpld license isn't per website, you can open alot more), good luck.

Danielregwan, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  17. ceweqsakti

ceweqsakti Banned

Best Answers:
    wow. Only $35
    Okey,i have domain,hosting and Now script
    i already used free script,But Still difficult for me.
    Can anyone suggest me what is the best and cheapest for this script?

ceweqsakti, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  18. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Well done. As long as you understand the realities of this which are:

You will not make much money
    People don't use G directories to search
    Free scripts are well known and affects any future sales/traffic
    This will not be unique
    You will likely get spammed to death
    Traffic will be webmaster mainly eg: zero seriousness
    You will likely jack it in through non-results/lack of motivation
    This directory will be taken advantage of
    No exclusivity whatsoever for advertisers
    Damn tough to sell

Event_King, Jul 19, 2008 IP
    mikey1090 likes this.
  19. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With all the talk about evolution why don't people evolve? why just the endless talk about it?

The best point made in this thread is to 1. decline the crap. So, taking that a step further, why don't directory owners actually do that?

If you are paid a review fee, do you include a site with a dodgy title and description? What exactly is the review fee for? If the submitted site is good, but the information is bad, then surely that fee is for you to fix that information and make it worthwhile to the end user (whether that be human or engine). If the submitted site itself is bad, then no brainer, it's gone right?

Why aren't directory owners/editors taking the bait and evolving? Your emphasis right now is on quality and even some very experienced directory people that I would expect better from are engaging in these trite discussions whilst allowing their resources to stagnate.

Take the hint. Directories can be produced on a low budget. No sweat. But the key ingredient here is Time. If you don't have any of it yourself, or are not prepared to invest in it through someone else, then no matter what PR/ranking your directory is, it is going to be a complete failure. Why? Because without the available time to make that evolutionary step (of deleting the crap; and editing the not-so-great), you are left with a directory that everyone else already has. So what sets you apart from them?

silencer, Jul 19, 2008 IP
    discover likes this.
  20. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    Just so you guys can see I put my money where my mouth is ...

[​IMG]

The scary part is, that stat doesn't include the sites that get automatically rejected by my script.

• If the same IP submits 10 sites ... all rejected & banned from my site
    • If someone submits to a section that's been closed ... rejected & banned from my site
    • If someone submits the same site to 5 categories ... all rejected & banned from my site

I do manually review each site that still exists after the above filter. I don't actually visit the sites that have obvious keyword spam in titles & descriptions.

Yep, I'm a little bit of a tight butt when it comes to potential spam but I had to draw the line somewhere if I wanted to keep my directory free and still of good quality.

Make no mistake, running a good quality free directory (& keeping it that way) is a very difficult job. You will be spammed to death and there is not much you can really do about it except practice some self defense with a little php kung-fu.

Side note: Dan, thanks for the time & investment it takes you to keep your service afloat. I've been a proud member of your seofriendly list for over a year and a half now and really appreciate the 1000's of people you've sent my way.

ErectADirectory, Jul 19, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.