1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to build directories with low budget?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ceweqsakti, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I want ask .how to build directories with low budget!?
    For example:use new domain,hosting,n free script.
    So what is yous suggestion?

ceweqsakti, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  2. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone had a different interpretation of "low budget" what is yours?

swedal, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  3. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    Servers for a year: $80
    Domain name for year: $8
    PhpLD Directory Script: $25 (don't get free, you;ll regret it)
    Professional Website Design: $60
    Running a Directory: Priceless

So running a directory (if your gonna hire someone to make the theme) is going to cost you around $200. Now like most of us that already have server spaces for other sites just add your directory domain to your current hosting plan as you won't need for than a few gigabytes of total space for a directory.

So if you already have servers, you'll only be paying $100 to get the domain ,PhpLD license, and a professional to do it. Or, do it yourself, and you can get a directory running for $33, thats if you already have a server to use.

Ben-AceofTech, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  4. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This is the recipe for disaster. You won't get far on the cheap.

Better off waiting until you have a decent amount to invest before adding more scrap to the ever growing heap.

mikey1090, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  5. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    When I started, I had a :
    1) free subdomain
    2) free script (phpLD)
    3) it was a free directory
    4) free, free, free, free, etc

Everything was almost free. If you plan to start a directory to make money, forget about it. If this is a hobby and you like editing listings, offering something free that most will appreciate, etc... then I think is ok.

hyper, Jul 16, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  6. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    could not agree more, if you have not got the time which is the most major factor of setting up and running a successful directory then don't bother.

You will need to find your niche, Apply marketing campaigns, add a directory structure, add links, have a custom design and promote your directory to get it noticed, all these are very time consuming,

Thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  7. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    A serious budget shortens the time by at least 10 times. With deep pockets, in less than 1 month everybody will be aware of your presence. No to speak about the uniqueness of a directory, which also costs.
    Having only the time, could be a different experience.

hyper, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  8. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

It will cost thousands - not hundreds. The hosting will cost £150 alone, the design hmmm, well if you want cheap, then forget thinking it can compete with the established ones, it will get ignored and spammed by others. $200 for a fully functioning directory, yeah I wish lol.

Try £5 - £10k instead, at least and doesn't include promotion costs either.

Event_King, Jul 16, 2008 IP
    netx likes this.
  9. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You could look for a directory for sale that is already somewhat established.

micksss, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  10. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    For $600 to 900$ you can get a gorgeous professional design.
    And speaking of the spam... there are tons on the world wide web that are making a living from directory submissions, so they will spam you no matter what.
    Spam submissions are like mosquitoes. You slap one, oh... here comes another... ZBANG... here another one... and so on :D

hyper, Jul 16, 2008 IP
    syted likes this.
  11. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

$900 for a homepage design only Yes - Functionality and Unique capabilities - no chance. For that is custom design and you won't get that from a cheap script.

Promotion is another issue on top of that, adding more to the cost.

Event_King, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  12. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    hehe haha hoho ... you guys are idiots

I usually don't post in the directories section anymore but I saw this thread about "directories on a low budget" and started thinking back to 1.5 years ago when I started mine. I spent exactly $6 thanks to a .com discount that was running at the time.

The best advice I can give you is ... spend time not money.

1. learn to do some basic css and skin your directory yourself ("For $600 to 900$ you can get a gorgeous professional design." .... you just got ripped) investment = 6 hours tops

2. learn some basic php and do something cool that sets you apart. Something simple to start like a section for random links on your homepage. Once you get better you can write something that auto-deletes your spam then you're really saving some time. investment = 1-18 hours depending on IQ

3. Buy a domain with some existing links, don't look for domain with PR ... you'll just get ripped. Check out the BST section. hard cost = $20 - $40 gives you a big head start ... or .info domains are only $1.99 at godaddy

4. After getting your domain going you'll get some natural links from places like directorycritic, dan's list & addurl.nu ... place link in sig here and post it occasionally in forums & blogs across the net. Promotion is not hard but steamrolls once you get started investment = 2-4 hours/week

4. openLD is your friend. 100% free script, no pushy sales pitches, never an upgrade needed, awesome community. Seriously, funk all these script that are trying to sell you they are better (phpld, lynx, ...). Learn to hack (PHP) and you'll come out with a better finished product than anything they can provide right out of the box.

Again, I never post in this section because I got sick of all the crap and drama here. Your thread caught my eyes because I didn't want to sink any money into my directory when I started it up because I didn't see it as a big profit project ... rather just a hobby for me.

For an example of a good directory that was built on a shoestring budget check mine out. total costs ... $6 (I had reseller hosting already)

If you need help with hosting let me know, I'll provide it as long as you are not looking to just accept any site (spam directory = bad). Yes I guess my heart is bleeding today, not sure what caused that.

ErectADirectory, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  13. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    @ErectaDirectory some of your points are no good.

Seriously, paying $600 for a professional design is the reason why you just paid $600 for a professional design. If any old kid trys to design a directory with a few hours experience they are bound to fail. Plain and simple, leave it to the pros unless you have days of web design experience under your belt.

Yeah, that would be nice. Shame nobody has the time or brains. Most people that claim to know php actually don't and could barely write a simple function themselves. Most decent directory scripts have everything built in, or have free mods out there. Thats why people don't make the effort. Don't expect them to change.

When the authors of those links see a different site they will soon remove them. Bad advice. Better off investing in a keyword rich or brandable domain.

Right, so some guy with "1-18" hours experience from php is going to make a better directory than what phplynx/phpLD programmers are paid to do as their job? Sure...

The best sound advice I could give for someone that has no money is to simply start compiling lists of decent sites. Pick a small niche with little competition, and get finding decent sites that you could fill your database with. Write unique descriptions and decent titles for them. Editorial standards and content will make a good directory.

mikey1090, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  14. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    When it comes to MODing, if you have an idea of a good MOD, and you can explain this to a good php programmer, better pay someone to do it, than waste your time trying it and get depressed when you see the result.

hyper, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  15. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    Some of my points are very good but there is always a devil's advocate in the house

Waste of money ... I can think of 600 ways I'd rather spend $600. In my opinion, design is the LEAST IMPORTANT factor in a good directory.

1. decline the crap (notice I reject 75% of the sites submitted to mine)
    2. build good links
    3. create content
    4. unique descriptions
    5. kill expired links
    6. customer service
    600. clean professional design

ok, so I cut a few corners in making my list of 600 important things but I think you get my point.

Hacking was not a requirement ... but I think you are underestimating the masses just a bit to say they have no brains. php tuts are all over the place and, honestly, it's not brain surgery we're talking about here ... hacking is also optional but will set your directory apart much more than a $600 design for people who know what they are talking about.

BS ... possibly 1/2 might remove, likely none will.

keyword rich domain = fail for a directory since you won't rank for anything serious unless a deep niche directory.

Most people's idea of a "brandable" domain consists of 4pqx.com (more fail) ... If you've got a true brandable, don't make a directory ... you're wasting an opportunity for a real profitable site.

I didn't say design from scratch. Just open the source of openld and you'll see how easy it is to hack. Again, this isn't brain surgery we're talking about and I promise that the open source community of openld creates a infinitly better base to build on than the outsourced chop job of those 2 you mentioned + can't really be considered open source unless you purchase the script (only recently available for lynx).

I know all you guys pick your favorite scripts and bash everyone else for other choices, so bash away. I'm a big boy and can take it, but you're totally wrong and just doing what the "cool crowd" (read: retarded losers) want you to do.

Also remember, I gave advice for a "directory on a budget" ... you are welcome to be a phpld homer and dump tons of money into anon mods if you thinks that's what it takes. My advice was 100% directed at the OP.

That's good solid advice, just don't waste the big cash these guys are suggesting if you are on a shoestring budget.

Also Mikey, I'm wondering what qualifies you to even comment on this thread? It's about doing something on a budget and from what I remember you put a ton of cash into your zorg network before dumping it.

I'm seeing a conflict of interest here. It sounds to me like the OP is getting advice that will keep him out of the directory market.

Could this possibly be a conspiracy to keep new directory owners away?

Perhaps some kind of lynch mob to hedge the amount of QBC owners that enter the market?

To every other replier: hate on me all you like. I seriously don't care and can easily call BS every step of the way because I listened to your crap for too long, which is exactly why I stopped reading the directory section all together.

To the OP: The advice from others you have gotten on this thread is absolutely terrible. If you want to start a directory, it doesn't cost much if you don't mind putting some elbow grease into it. Just don't listen to the morons telling you to throw hundreds at a "professional" designer.

But, of course, they are going to chime in and say my advice is bad ... at least I answered the question presented truthfully and told you exactly what you needed to hear.

[[ flame on ]]

ErectADirectory, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  16. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:

As I said before all the other advice.

thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  17. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Design is very important - it's part of what sells/attracts visitors and advertisers.

Event_King, Jul 17, 2008 IP
  18. ceweqsakti

ceweqsakti Banned

Best Answers:
    i think.
    there is a mistake with buy domain
    if you buy from new / register from the beginning.
    You didn"t have any Page rank,n they don"t want to submit him site

ceweqsakti, Jul 17, 2008 IP
    netx likes this.
  19. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:

Oh dear me... I hope you are not talking about taking dropped domains instead ?

hyper, Jul 17, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  20. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes hyper. No PR = no money = no high sales price. You mustn't forget that :D

mikey1090, Jul 17, 2008 IP
    hyper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.