1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Someone Stole My Adwords Ad!

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by CARNANO, Jul 13, 2008.

Hello, just looking for some advice on what to do about this. I was running a successful adwords campaign on a clickbank product. I was direct linking to the product page. After about 6 months I suddenly noticed that my daily impressions were dropping off. Everytime I checked to see if my ad was running It was....or so I thought. Someone had copied my adwords ad exactly and out bid me for the url. He was using ad schedular to only run his ads at times when i would'nt notice. Eventually I drove him off by using some underhanded tactics, but then he came back and suddenly my conversions went from about 1 in 15 to virtually 0 in 100!!! I'm very confused by how this is possible, but I have to believe that this guy has something to do with it?? Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of anything like this and if anyone can offer any suggestions about what to do?? Thanks

CARNANO, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  2. turbosatan

turbosatan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    his probably using this software to find al your keywords and prices your paying

fact is there is nothing you can do about it. you might want to try and beat him at his own game but he hasnt doen anythign against the law or TOS for clickbank or google.

turbosatan, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  3. info

info Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's common in any business to stole successful ideas. You just have to find another way.

info, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  4. chini

chini Banned

Best Answers:
    wow can u prevent that software or watever it is from doing that? And it finds all the keywords, that must take a dam long time?

chini, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  5. starz

starz Peon

Best Answers:
    and i think you dont know that affiliate links are not allowed here :confused:

starz, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  6. semantic7

semantic7 Member

Best Answers:
    Is it a fake claim or can this software actually uncover all the keywords ? Experts can verify on this ?

semantic7, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  7. glenv

glenv Peon

Best Answers:
    Mine get stole constantly - I just swear at them and move on.

glenv, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  8. Pushy Hamper

Pushy Hamper Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to use this method, I read about it a few years ago and couldn't resist trying it. Quite ashamed of myself for using it but it did work. I went up against a few competitors that were much better funded than me, and forced them to pay upto $10 a click. They were more than happy to do this to get rid of me.

Needless to say I didn't win the bidding wars and ended up wasting a tonne of cash. Didn't use software though (don't think it existed at the time), just spent a few weeks studying the particular ad / keywords to make sure it was performing well before trying to steal it. The fact is, if the ad is working, most of the time the person / company running the ad can afford to out-bid you.

A dirty tactic but when I was new to the game (like a lot of people on here), you'll try anything to get results.

Pushy Hamper, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  9. semantic7

semantic7 Member

Best Answers:
    This is just ridiculous. Google needs to do something about this.

semantic7, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  10. PPC-Coach

PPC-Coach Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is no one owns rights to an ad. Anyone can put up any ad they want even if it is an exact copy of someone elses. All these spy programs encourage this type of business. Not much you can do except outbid them and hope they go away or hope you have a way better history then them and google will force them out with very high bids for a long time.

PPC-Coach, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  11. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    evolve and move on ;)

Brandon Sheley, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  12. BBS

BBS Guest

Best Answers:
    I could be wrong, so don't quote me on this, but software to effectively 'steal' or some may prefer 'emulate' a competitors campaign is constantly being developed and released. The latest, which I haven't purchase (and I'm not affiliated in anyway or promoting it - just highlighting it's existance) is something called Google Nemesis which I think is designed to do exaclty this - somehow!

BBS, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  13. chini

chini Banned

Best Answers:
    Is there a way to prevent these spy programs from obtaining your keywords, does anyone know how they do it?

chini, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  14. turbosatan

turbosatan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i dont think there is anyway to stop it. i am not sure how they do it but i would be very very interested in finding out as i currently pay for the software each month

if i could get it free that would be really really good.

turbosatan, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  15. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    It's as simple as doing a search. These programs only need to emulate a given search for any term and the ads show up. They simply take the ad copy and run it against the highest bidders for the term. Put 2 and 2 together and you know what the competition is paying for their keywords, how many times it hits and so on...

Spyfu is a great free site for digging up this type of info

cheers

stevenh, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  16. xmartel

xmartel Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's nothing you can do about it, just try to overtake him again or move on to a different product.

xmartel, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  17. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    this is why direct linking campaigns are not worth the effort. You have just engaged yourself in a war with another affiliate. Get one step ahead of your competition and start using your own sites and content. You will save more money and conv rate will be much higher

robertpriolo, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  18. ForestGump42

ForestGump42 Member

Best Answers:
    If your keyword is trademarked then you can stop someone from using it. Their is a big lawsuit with American Airlines trying to stop anyone from using their name in adwords. The outcome of this case will set the precedent.

ForestGump42, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  19. shaila

shaila Guest

Best Answers:
    Do Google monitor the duplicate ad copy?

shaila, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  20. Pushy Hamper

Pushy Hamper Peon

Best Answers:
    They monitor everything in the ads but I doubt they monitor for dupes, as the one paying the most is the only one that will get shown. You won't see 2 identical ads in a search result, just the one that's paying the most.

Pushy Hamper, Jul 15, 2008 IP