1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Keyword tool vs. NicheBot and SEO Book Keyword Tool

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by Judge Mental, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Now that we can see the actual number for searches in the Google keyword tool it's amazing to compare those numbers with other tools such as NicheBot and SEO Book Keyword Tool.

While NicheBot and SEO Book Keyword seem to have very similar results the Google tool is not even close to the same numbers.

I realize that the Google tool displays monthly numbers vs. daily numbers but still the numbers are not even close.

I wonder why the huge disparity in results?

Judge Mental, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  2. effektz

effektz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because NicheBot isn't a search engine, and Google can more accurately give these figures

effektz, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  3. ubamba

ubamba Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I built a website around keywords that I come to find (via Google's newly added feature) are not really getting that many searches. kinda sucks, but oh well :)

ubamba, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that NicheBot isn't a search engine. And neither is SEO Book. Instead, they are keyword tools that look at the search engines and calculate the number of searches in Google, Yahoo and MSN.

I know this sounds wacky but I think Google's numbers are way off.

My gut instinct is telling me these other tools are more reasonable and accurate.

Judge Mental, Jul 12, 2008 IP
  5. effektz

effektz Active Member

Best Answers:
    You dont make any sense. People use google to search for these terms, thus google has the raw numbers of what people are searching for. NicheBot and the other don't. Saying google is less accurate would be like you telling me "You have 10,000 registered users on your website", when really I know how many I have because it's my website, 3rd party guesses are just that, guesses.

effektz, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  6. mexicolarry

mexicolarry Peon

Best Answers:
    There's something to be careful about here as you're looking at the numbers that Google gives for number of searches.

The biggest thing to remember is to consider the match type. The default is Broad Match, which isn't going to give comparable numbers to other services, because it includes all sorts of variations of the keyword. I think that will probably explain most of the discrepancies mentioned above, because there can easily be a 10-fold difference between the number of searches for an exact match keyword vs. a broad match keyword.

Some other things to consider:
    The results, including the historical number of searches, is based on your country and language settings for your Adwords account/adwords campaign (depending on where you access the Keywords tool from). If you want to consider worldwide searches, you'll probably have to adjust your settings.

Another thing to consider is that the Google Keyword Tool results are based on not just Google.com results, but the Google Search Network.

All in all, i think hte Google numbers are accurate, and i sure am glad they're providing them, because i wasn't using the other services and i now have much mnore data to work with!

Anyway, hope that helps as y'all crunch your numbers!

mexicolarry, Jul 18, 2008 IP
    puremonopoly likes this.
  7. ehowtoguru

ehowtoguru Member

Best Answers:
    Mexicolarry is right. In the Adwords keyword tool, when you change the match type from Broad to Phrase to Exact, you can see big jumps in the search volume.
    If only they showed the number of competing sites for the exact keyword phrase as well, then you would have the best free keyword research tool out there.

ehowtoguru, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  8. shangshan

shangshan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I built a website around keywords that I come to find (via Google's newly added feature) are not really getting that many searches. kinda sucks, but oh well

shangshan, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  9. darinblue

darinblue Peon

Best Answers:
    I have come to think Google is completely inaccurate.

Google's keyword tool analyzed under exact match for the keyword phrase "internet marketing techniques" shows an avg monthly search volume of 49,500

Wordtracker and SEO book's free keyword tools show an average daily search volume of about 3 which you can sum to about 90 monthly.

49,500 or 90 per month, come on now! Not even close.

I don't know what to think especially because a private SEO firm I contacted and textlinkbrokers.com both agreed with the average daily search volume of 3 and didn't trust google's saying they were trying to 'juice' it for advertising dollars

any experts out there know the truth? I've unfortunately already started building a blog around googles estimates not knowing they might be inaccurate.

darinblue, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  10. darinblue

darinblue Peon

Best Answers:
    Google tool officially seems bogus to me now...

I ran a test with google adwords using ppc and got myself within the top 10 sponsored ad positions on average for keyword phrase "internet marketing techniques"

So far over the past few days i have gotten about 14 impressions, and half are probably from my own searches, lol

Nothing near the estimated monthly exact match search volume of 49,500 that the adwords keyword tool estimates.

Google Sucks

my findings agree with the search estimates of wordtracker and seobook...

darinblue, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  11. 07.

07. Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen just the opposite. Google Keyword tool seems to be right on.

I would trust Google over some 3rd party guess.

07., Aug 5, 2008 IP
  12. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    all the keywords are based on statistic. They have different samples and statistic method therefore they have different result . rdtracker and adwords keywords are excellent tool, we can refer to the both.

justinlorder, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  13. darinblue

darinblue Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess no one agrees with my point that google estimating 49,500 exact match searches per month for "internet marketing techniques" but really only coming in at 90 per month is booku.

darinblue, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  14. darinblue

darinblue Peon

Best Answers:
    I wrote their support team and all they did was say they were accurate and not acknowledge the discrepancy really

darinblue, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  15. farhajr

farhajr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am also facing a similar problem on which should I rely on seobook, wordtracker or adwords keyword tool .yes, there is a big difference in both or is it that adwords keywordd tool is showing me results just for my location and not worldwide is it due ti that also? please explain!

farhajr, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  16. kukujang

kukujang Peon

Best Answers:
    "all the keywords are based on statistic. They have different samples and statistic method therefore they have different result ."

I think it's true, because keywords are based on statistic.

kukujang, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  17. farhajr

Best Answers:
    has someone got differnet view

farhajr, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  18. mystic

mystic Active Member

Best Answers:
    mystic, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  19. farhajr

Best Answers:
    So google keyword tool shows results of overall google. right!

farhajr, Aug 12, 2008 IP
  20. smemon87

smemon87 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google's keyword tool, from what i gather, will shows results across the board - from US / Canada / Australlia / UK.

I'm also pretty sure that includes searches from sites using the google custom search box. So the actual number of searches for term 'x' in the US alone, through google.com would be significantly less than what the google keyword tool will suggest.

I don't think google would 'tamper' with the figures - it wouldn't benefit them any in the long run...

p.s. @ mystic - here you go ;-)

smemon87, Aug 18, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.