1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 SEO Tips from Matt Cutts

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Geeurbie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:

Matt Cutts has alot of grey hats thats not discussed. He is google's boy for sure.

homebizseo, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  2. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    If anything, Google's job should be, through Cutts' voice, to educate SEOs into going white hat and make the web a better place. By playing us for fools like he does in that article, he only entices us that there's more to it than what he says. Seriously Matt, know your audience.

Tudi, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  3. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    100 Pieces of the great SEO puzzle.

Heck even the free tools he suggests has only google stuff, he should have atleast listed the free keyword tracker there. Oh well, i guess everything is classified information at google and maybe they have an underinformation campaign to go along with it.

lightless, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  4. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Trust me, it's a tempting idea but I grew up in Miami and we had this "nobody likes a snitch" attitude. Hard to get rid of those old-school die-hard ethics. :D

Speaking of snitches...

[​IMG]

honestly, I could never imagine working for Google. From what I see the atmosphere is so PC (politically correct) and you'd have to be a real sissy boy to work there. I cut my teeth working 15 years for IBM in software but that was working for cranky old men in blue suits who drank martini's at lunch but let your group have the lights off in the programmers shack and have the blacklights on, music cranked and doors closed... Sales people knew better than to go near the developers back then. Today you have some energy drinking 30 year old spazzes who care more about material posessions more than about human beings.

btw, since this thread pretty much rocks like f*ck and it's one of the best discussions I've seen in a while...Anyone else get sick of reading about Matt Cutts, John Chow or Jermy Shoemonkey's new ultra big flat panel monitors, food they ate, conventions they went to and the 150 terrabyte network storage devices they just bought?

That's what I thought... and btw, back to the "snitch" thing. When I was in fifth grade some kids climbed through the ceiling (push up panels) into the dean's office, took his family pictures from his desk and put them in the boys room urinals and urinated on them.... Anyway, the whole fifth grade was called together and everyone knew who did it. The dean said "You'll all sit here until one or some of you admit to doing it". He obviously underestimated the willpower of that 5th grade class. We sat there for 4 days until he finally made us go back to class. Nobody snitched. Several years later, this movie called "Breakfast Club" came out and I related to it because I'd already learned that people from all walks of life bond under opressive situations or in the face of disaster.

Webmasters *should not* be told how to create, maintain and operate our websites. A search engine should stay neutral, just like the news should be unbiased and non-partisan. Google is trying to treat all of us like a room full of 5th graders and Matt Cutts fancies himself as the school teacher. Last year when Cutts said webmasters should report people for paid links, I started singing "We don't need no education" in my head to tune the noise out...

and for the record... what they pulled on John chow is ridiculous. Let the man have his SERPS just like anybody else. That's so "You can't play in my playhouse"... 5th grade..

:)

Bryce, Jul 5, 2008 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  5. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts I love you and I admire your work and integrity! I think what you do for the community is great and I hope one day, I can raise my kids to be just like you!

Start sucking up guys, you know Matt's cronies are reading this and they'll ban your site!

Tudi, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  6. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's what comes with too much fame and riches. It gets to your head. They become britney spears and paris hilton in webmaster form. They forget the way they came through and spend time listing their megapossessions so the newbies can drool over.

There was this post on john chow's site about how johnchow took a 10k cheque from a guy who worked hard to earn it, instead of refusing it and saying
    "keep it son, you've earned it". Talk about being ruled by money.

7. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    This is pretty much the post post I have read on DP for a long time. Programmers are geeks and not known for great content. They also don't understand what teh general searchers search for (the users, not the geeks), which is why so many results in Google are so lame (based on SEO copywriting and aged domain names).

But of course, the herds and masses follow blindly and bend over to get some coin.

Do me and KP a favor and stay in this thread :D :)

Blogmaster, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  8. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear talking about snitching all the time in forums and I just don't get it. Each person should be worried about their own site. I have yet to see whats wrong with selling blog roll link space like Chow did.

[​IMG]

homebizseo, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  9. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    This thread is now about Camels!

[​IMG]

But seriously, for my 2c Google seems to be going down the wrong path. I've seen numerous evidence of websites being "taken out" due to links pointing at it, sabotaged by other webmasters. Seems to be gone are the days of "A link from Site A to Site B cannot harm Site B", which is a model doomed for failure.

This whole war on paid links and the use of nofollow is a joke, Google's algo is either faulty and cannot discount the links that are not editorially given, their algo is too link biased which also means it's faulty because they are relying on something they can't filter properly or they are rocking the boat to drive people to "their" advertising model.. Adwords.

People can only take having their sites completely wiped out of the SERP's for no good reason so many times before they say, feck it you know what i'll just create 1,000 sites so when you take one out it doesn't matter or ruin my livelihood. Why throw 1 site against the wall and hope it sticks when you can throw a thousand of them and know something "will" stick?

It's at the point where one person can't rely on their one small business website as a sustainable income, you can wake up in the gutter with no recourse. If someone destroys your Bricks & Mortar business, you take them to the cleaners but online what can people do? Submit a reinclusion, hope it actually does send an email to someone, then shut up and wait.

This is not the way forward for the future and bringing business's online.

sweetfunny, Jul 5, 2008 IP
    lightless likes this.
  10. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. The general searchers often want different things from geeks.
    You have to shovel so much crap in google sometimes to find useful info. Often the good stuff is buried six feet under.

It's rather easy to get good websites off-map. In fact i have seen that paid links aren't reported by good intentioned people or whatever, mostly it is a jealous competitor.

11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Sorry if this seems self promotional, but last night I wrote

Google’s blog search results are the worst

where I couldn't find any good blog results til page 5 - 11 for the keyword + blog.

I came across huge meaningless articles nobody can read thru and 4 year old livejournal blogs with 2 posts and such.

The lack of common sense at the Plex (from employees, not the owners) is seriously alarming.

Blogmaster, Jul 5, 2008 IP
    lightless likes this.
  12. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing wrong with self promotion if it's useful and/or relevant. :cool:

I am also sick of the same old big sites coming at top for most searches. Some great small/medium sites with amazing info get crushed and never get seen. I have found the most amazing sites sometimes through word of mouth [real or virtual], that i would never have seen in a google search.

13. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I thought that was tacky. Actually, his "how much I earned this month" posts are the most annoying. Who cares? ..and all the little sheep who are bleating and baahing on his comments threads make me want to have lamb chops for dinner.

When I worked at IBM, the programmers didn't wear pocket protectors. Most showed up on their Harleys or in their muscle cars. Most even have recreational flying licenses. I was in a punk band and I got 3-4 months per year to take off and do my music thing and my job was always there when I got back. Well, that's when we were called engineers and were encouraged to have lives outside the company. God, I can't imagine working someplace where treehuggers can bring their dogs and kids into work with them... It would be like GG Allin at a Grateful dead concert.

Exactly. Why shouldn't webmasters monetize their sites any way they can. We didn't create pagerank, Google created it. Like those little gold stars we got when we learned our spelling lessons in grammer school, Google give and takes away their little green stars. As an adult, quite frankly, Google is very insuting and tries to make me feel like I'm back in elementary school but my revenge would be pissing on their family pictures in the mens room urinals. Treat people like children and they're going to behave like them.

Bryce, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I'm sure this thread was intended to praise Matt, but it took a natural turn,.

Blogmaster, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  15. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Google knows if you sell links they don't get a cut. It's a story about a fat cat getting fatter. I know a college student that had contracts with thousands of sites that he sold links for. The kid was making great, Not Chow great but normal great. Google basically put him out of business.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

homebizseo, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  16. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    I had a totally Whitehat site doing more per day on Adsense than John Chow, it went from the 7 figure unique visitors per month mark down to 200 a day in about 30 minutes.

sweetfunny, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    The problem now is that the days where the rules applied to all equally have completely changed. Google editors now handpick who they like and who they don't. They handpick who gets penalized and whose blackhat tactics get overlooked.
    Back when I started Google was tough ... yet fair. Now Google pretends to be tough and has turned into a DMOZ type of facility.

Let's see how well this will do on Sphinn ;) http://sphinn.com/story/57191

18. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Quite boring, unless there are some valuable tips as to how he got there to go along.
    About the little sheep .... it's called networking, some would love to get for even a brief second in the chowlight [Limelight ;)]. But seriously does he need any more congratulations and applause for his income. I am sure there are many little people who could use that much more.
    I find it amusing that some people find his income reports inspiring. What's so inspiring about a monthly set of big numbers. Especially when most of them will never make even a reasonable percentage of that income. :confused:

That's gotta suck. I sometimes wish that google didn't have such a big hand in whether a good website succeeds as much as it should or not.

lightless, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Sphinn it, lightless ;)

20. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    The best tip from Matt Cutts: "Be honest and we will see..." :D

No, really do you expect some blackhat technique from him?
    What else he could say than the obvious things.

zexy, Jul 6, 2008 IP