1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress Plugins NOT to USE!!! Achtung Baby!!!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by godsofchaos, May 12, 2008.

Lol... yepp we all have been posting with what plugins we should use... and plugins we should never use... I am also thinking of opening a new blog if I get time regarding wordpress cause lately I realized I have become a wordpress fanatic lol...

Anyway, back to the topic.... Let us help each other out... we all have bad experiences with plugins... some with this one and the others with that one... know what I mean... I lately found out what plugins you should not use if you want to have a blog with relatively moderate/high traffic.

Number Uno wordpress villain is the Global Translator plugin

Number two is the Lancelhoff wordpress translator plugin.

Both will kill your Mysql server by sending pings after pings after pings.... and your host will definitely kick ya out if you are on a shared environment. The translator plugins maximizes the load on mysql significantly, and if you use Global Translator without the cache feature, its a matter of days of getting suspended for CPU usage for sure.

Number Three is using Wp Cache, Super Cache, or Hyper Cache TOGETHER. While, when you use them one at a time and use them the right way, you do live like a King... (like I am living with Hyper Cache), using them both can mess up settings for you pretty bad and if you are not so techie with Wordpress, you are in for a rough ride and a nightmare! Also, for low traffic blogs and absolutely new webmasters it is highly recommended to use them at a dummy blog first! Using these plugins have huge upsides, but some downsides as well. (Like deleting cache folder when you change host manually, deactivating cache through htaccess, making folders writable, make sim links etc.)

Fourth in the list is any statistics plugin which pings the server every time you or your visitor executes a new click or a visitor comes to the site like User Online, Popularity Plugin. While this can be significantly reduced using Hyper Cache/Super Cache, but it is still a pain when you use them. Rather for stats, use a plugin like Most commented, or use a standalone tracker from like analytics, sitemeter, histats etc.

So far, these are all I can think of... I will update the post every now and then whenever I find a new buggy or "heavy plugin". In the meantime do feel free to share your recommendations here about plugins you find you should not use.

Cheerios!

godsofchaos, May 12, 2008 IP
    themanbeast9, fish, gjvblack and 2 others like this.
  2. themanbeast9

themanbeast9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice list, thanks for this. +Rep.

themanbeast9, May 12, 2008 IP
  3. fish

fish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't seem to have a problem with the WP Super Cache plugin - but like you said, it's probably not a good idea for them to be used together with other cache plugins. I'd like to add Ultimate Tag Warrior to the list, which is incompatible with WordPress 2.5+ and will cause your tag pages to stop working. Thankfully there's a UTW tag import script built into WordPress, so you can import those tags into the WordPress native tagging system. Nice list!

fish, May 12, 2008 IP
  4. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    What exactly do these Cache plugins do for your blog? I only hear bad things of them e.g you cannot use ratings systems etc..

wd_2k6, May 12, 2008 IP
  5. Houdy

Houdy Peon

Best Answers:
    I do so much tweaking with WP that the Cache plugins drive me batty. I had a few clients using those plugins and when I try to customize their blog and I see no changes it took a while to figure out the problem. Now I look for it before I tweak any WP blog.

I really see no big difference in the load times with or without them.

Houdy, May 12, 2008 IP
  6. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh my gosh! Cache plugins can be the lifesaver of a high traffic blog! What it actually does is generate a html based file out of the php files and repeatedly serving them instead, thus, skipping the commands to generate a dynamic page altogether. Dynamic pages are generated on the fly by mysql, when someone clicks on a page/post link for example. Html files don't need a database at all!

Yes ratings plugin, stats plugin (not google analytics) doesn't work with it! Why? Because they actually need you to run command everytime a page is viewed, increasing your mysql usage like a rocket unleashed! Cache plugins are not that useful for low traffic blogs where mysql memory usage is not an issue but if you have a high traffic blog, or get su-ed/dugg, then its a must! Otherwise with high mysql usage your shared host will ban you for sure for resource usage.

You don't see the changes appear instantly cause you are seeing the cache when making changes, which refreshes every (for example in my blog) 6 hours. If you turn cache off, it will work plain and simple and you will see changes appear instantly.

godsofchaos, May 18, 2008 IP
  7. kothar

kothar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am currently using Cache plugin, and my disk usage rises up like a tan theta curve. Should I use that ?
    What do you actually mean by a traffic,
    I am getting a traffic of 300-500 Uniques a day, and around 3000 Page views a day,
    Should I use Cache Plugin anymore ?
    Or Disable Super Cache ?

kothar, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  8. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Disabling Super cache doesnt remove the plugin itself. Infact, deleting the plugin wont even help.

To delete properly you have to do six steps:

1. Clear the cache in the backend page and then deactivate it on the plugins page.
    2. Remove the Super Cache mod_rewrite rules from your .htaccess file.
    3. Remove the WP_CACHE define from wp-config.php
    4. Remove the files wp-content/advanced-cache.php and wp-content/wp-cache-config.php
    5. Remove the directory wp-content/cache/
    6. Remove the directory wp-super-cache from your plugins directory.

Then install Hyper Cache as it has the feature to automatically delete cached pages after a period of time which you can specify. You should use a cache plugin!

godsofchaos, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  9. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there a translation plugin that actually works? I was going to use the 1st one you listed until I read this :(

also, is there any way to use a chache program along with popularity contest? It just sucks how both can't be used, there must be a way...

Pixelrage, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  10. gjvblack

gjvblack Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the list, Will save this list. +Rep

gjvblack, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  11. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    There are quite a few, though I personally recommend you using the google widgets/apps in the sidebar as they are the most reliable. I am using it in my blog and I can assure you that it works smoothly with any/all plugins of wordpress.

godsofchaos, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  12. ramijames

ramijames Member

Best Answers:
    When you say stats plugin, does that include google analytics? Honestly I've never had any problems with it..

ramijames, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  13. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    No no not the google analytics or mybloglog or any other javascript based independent plugins. I was talking about plugins like USERS ONLINE and such which constantly queries the database and freaks out the life out of it by over loading it :(

godsofchaos, Jul 12, 2008 IP
  14. RB!

RB! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whenever I activate the "ShareThis" plugin, my site does not load, which plugin is affecting ShareThis?..

404 Notifier
    Admin Drop Down Menu
    AdSense Manager
    Akismet
    Amazon Showcase
    Broken Link Checker
    Category Page
    Configurable Tag Cloud
    FeedBurner Widget
    Fun with Sidebar Tabs
    Google News
    Google XML Sitemaps
    Grunion Contact Form
    MultiFeedSnap
    Optimal Title
    Ozh' Better Feed
    Plugin Central
    Position Yourself
    Post-Plugin Library
    Riffly Video/Audio Comments
    RSS Footer
    SEO Friendly Images
    SEO Slugs
    Similar Posts
    Subscribe To Comments
    TinyMCE Advanced
    Top Commentators Widget
    WassUp
    WordPress.com Popular Posts
    WordPress Exploit Scanner
    Wordpress PDA & iPhone
    WordPress Tweaks
    WP-Affiliate
    WP-dTree 3.3.2
    WP-PluginsUsed
    WP-Polls
    WP-Polls Widget
    WP-PostRatings
    WP-PostRatings Widget
    WP-PostViews
    WP-PostViews Widget
    WP-RelativeDate
    Zemanta

RB!, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  15. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats weird.... its quite impossible to say which one is affecting your blog....

Anyhow, you can try using Socialable, its better and more reliable than share this!

godsofchaos, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  16. cheafynelu

cheafynelu Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for list...good list...

cheafynelu, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  17. 370370

370370 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads up!

370370, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  18. blogging23517

blogging23517 Peon

Best Answers:
    How about using a five star Ratings plugin & Hyper Cache, will it affect the Hyper Cache plugin & slow down wordpress 2.6, if not Which Ratings plugin would you recommend for Hyper Cache.

blogging23517, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  19. jonheres

jonheres Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will be carefull with Democracy poll duplicating content of your site for the SE. Read this.. dont know if it was fixed already , but i am not using it anymore!

jonheres, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  20. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Hyper Cache does not cache files which work under a java script or flash based coding, and as much I can tell, the Wp Post Ratings plugin uses just that. So all the votes should count and will not conflict with Hyper Cache.

And no, most of the plugins actually does not slow down the blog but rather increases the load of MySql Server which your host may not like specially in a shared hosting environment. So go right ahead and use them both!

godsofchaos, Jul 30, 2008 IP