1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will you help the Third World fight poverty?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by checksum, Jul 5, 2008.

I found a great website called Kiva that has been built to connect kind lenders with third world entrepreneurs. The goal is to help improve the third world economy by giving affordable micro-loans to established entrepreneurs. The money is paid back in monthly installments. When the loan is repaid you can loan your money to another entrepreneur or withdraw it back to your bank account.

Great idea or what? :)

[​IMG]

checksum, Jul 5, 2008 IP
    Brennan likes this.
  2. melbel

melbel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's kind of interesting. I am kind of wondering whether it's a scam or not. I would hate to "invest" and not get my money back!

melbel, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  3. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I have joined it and have given two loans to date. I think it is a great program to be able to help those below the poverty line directly and to help a few families live better. I will be continuing the program indefinitely. Great program which those who can afford to should join and make the world a better place to be. BTW the loans send from Pay Pal are exempted from normal processing fees. Kiva is the only organization having such privilege which show that it is a bona fide welfare program which even Pay Pal recognizes.

wisdomtool, Jul 5, 2008 IP
    Brennan likes this.
  4. Curtis Hunter

Curtis Hunter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

Lol, just kidding. This site is pretty interesting. I can't help but feel sorry for some of these rag-wearing people... really...

Curtis Hunter, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  5. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I heard about the kiva few months back. Their effort in raising loan for financing the poor people need to be commended. By popularizing their activities, it is indeed possible to help more people.

dairyman, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  6. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, spreading the word is important for sure, but we have to take action too! Just think if every person who could afford to make a loan did so, the impact would spread across generations.

And that's the best thing about Kiva, they're loans, not handouts. The money isn't being wasted; it's being used by real people for real improvement. You can see the difference it makes!

checksum, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  7. Ikaruga

Ikaruga Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've known about Kiva since they started up -- the CEO of my company is personal friends with them over here in California. It's a truly great organization, and the money goes directly to real people in need of funding to improve their lives in a third world enviornment. Go Kiva!

Ikaruga, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  8. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Trust me it ain't no scam. Millions have been raised for people in developing countries, and I encourage you to get involved as it's a great cause :)

Brennan, Apr 10, 2009 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  9. melbel

melbel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I've looked into it further. Thank you for sharing it, really. I am short of funds right now, but I am hoping that with some of my new projects, I'll be able to pay things off for myself and then help others. This would be a great opportunity to allow people the chance to change their lives since those in third world countries are seldom given these types of chances.

melbel, Apr 13, 2009 IP
    Brennan likes this.
  10. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is a good idea. It allows the peole that are self starters to get on their way to getting out of the terrible oppression that they face in there country.

The oly true way o fight poverty is to eradicate the corrupt world leaders but that is long long long ways off so this is a good start

ErikJ, Apr 13, 2009 IP
    Brennan likes this.