1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

United States Heading towards a Depression?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by decoyjames, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I pretend to be Mia, Gtech and little willy;

There is nothing wrong with economy, it is doing great. Bush is genius, his economic policies are great, we just need more tax cut. :rolleyes::D

gworld, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  2. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, you know the economy is screwed with Starbucks starts closing.

webwork, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  3. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
  4. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously, their projections on the economy were badly flawed. Then again, someone probably made out like a bandit on the stock market when they added 600 corporate stores since 2006, and has already sold off stock that will be taking a hit from the news of closings and severance costs.

Discretionary spending is going to dry up. People can't use their homes as ATMs to live a lifestyle one or two tiers above their income level any longer. Or in the words of smatts, no more coke.

Walmart carries a lot of everyday necessities. I imagine this is the reason they continue to thrive. Demand for their goods is somewhat inelastic.

A year ago, people laughed if I brought up the word depression. Everyone thought I was an idiot. Well, they still think I am an idiot, and now the banks are talking about depression.

I'd say the economy is shrinking. GDP is also bolstered by all of the nonsense military and deficit spending. We're not growing as fast as the numbers claim we are. That is why the NBER goes back and adjusts it's past determinations on recessions. As you said, inflation and energy costs haven't fully worked their way through. If you watched the Peter Schiff clip I posted, the show host challenges him on government numbers, and Peter, being a clever man who does his research says, that the numbers are based on 2.x% inflation.

Now seriously, does anyone believe we are running under 3% inflation?

I had a great name lined up, but I waited to do a bulk buy and someone else scooped it.

Everytime I read bad news like the Fortis bank warning to it's investors, or the BIS report, I can hear Mia in the back of my head, "It's only a correction".

Although, Bush is not solely to blame. He's just the guy who lit the match, not the one who poured the gasoline.

guerilla, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  5. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    IMHO we are into uncharted territories. Bernanke had done his best under the circumstances which is not enough for 18 years of excesses. Still depression is a word I am hesitant to use. Seemed to be a big D as in Doomsday word, I would rather say a deep and prolonged recession.

I don't think any economist will stick their neck out at the moment with their projections, all of us are playing by the ear, just hoping that the Big D won't pop out. A recession is long overdue and is not necessarily a bad thing to have.

I won't

wisdomtool, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  6. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Unemployment numbers and ECB meeting is tomorrow. Drop of 200,000 jobs and ECB rate hike is expected.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080702/us_nm/usa_economy_dc;_ylt=AlK_cjBydzu0kmcV_hmwKz2yBhIF

bogart, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    All the more reason for us all to kill ourselves. Not everyone wants to pay $7 for a shitty cup of foam.

The Starbucks where I am is in no danger of closing. But its in a market where people will pay $15 for that shitty cup of foam. We've got Vettes, Lambos, Ferraris, etc., parked in front of the place all day. That and a steady stream of FIB tourists with disposable coffee incomes.

I don't see the closing of Starbucks stores as a good economic indicator of anything other than not every market can sustain overpriced coffee.

That and they built too much, too fast. We should be more worried that pet owners are only going to spend about 5% more this year on their pets than last year. That is a true indicator of impending doom and gloom in my book!:rolleyes:

Mia, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  8. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    ...also don't forget to throw more FIAT money at the problem and hope that it will magically correct itself.

guru-seo, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  9. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't bro. I've been crying wolf for even longer! But they just call me doom and gloomer for seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

guru-seo, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  10. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you prove it? We'd love to see a picture of a Ferrari parked in front of a Starbucks in your neck of the woods. What city is that again?

guru-seo, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No wonder the government is going broke when people can buy a Ferrari with their welfare checks and food stamps. :D:D

gworld, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Guess I'll just have to pretend to be Albanian and post nonsense all day long. :eek:

It's pretty obvious where I live. And no, nothing to prove. It's a daily occurrence. I forgot to mention Prowlers, Maserati's, Rolls, Hummers, Rovers, and mini-vans occasionally.

What a spacker. ;)

Mia, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  13. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    I would guess that a lot of the people who think it's ok to pay $5 for a cup of coffee are also the ones losing their homes.

LogicFlux, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I'd have to agree with that. They are probably the idiots that bought more home than they could afford and then bought that coffee on credit via equity lines through their homes.

Mia, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  15. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    There was only so long they could make gas guzzlers and hummers before people stopped buying them....

Mia, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  17. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    It's time to just start wholesale copying the japanese.

18. smatts9

smatts9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    NVDA is getting raped, hard.

smatts9, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  19. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In after hours trading it's down another $4 -- just another sign that the economy is in a slump.

We are now officially in a bear market. The Dow's worst bear market was at the start of the Great Depression, from April 17, 1930, to July 8, 1932. The Dow lost 86 percent of its value falling from 294.07 to a bottom of 41.22.

bogart, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  20. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We've been in a bear market for almost a year. People just didn't know it yet. The dollar is trending towards poop value. Who cares if the Dow is at 14,000 if 14,000 doesn't buy what 10,000 bought 5 years ago?

guerilla, Jul 3, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.