1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What PHP frame work do you use?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by goldensea80, Apr 4, 2008.

?

What PHP frame work do you use?

1. Symfony

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. CakePHP

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Zend Framework

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. I use my own

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. Other (please specify)

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. What the heck are framework?

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
    And is it flexible? Simple? Extensible? Can you explain more about your experience with those frameworks?

goldensea80, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I use symfony. It is easy once you get through a nasty learning curve. From my research it's probably the best developed PHP framework out there. It installs easily using PEAR, has a ton of command line and admin generating features, and can do just about anything you would need it to. However as stated, the learning curve is bad. Unless you have experience with ROR and you use a MVC style of php programming, it's not something you can pick up in just a few hours. The others I have looked at are cakephp and Zend.

In the case of any framework, I wouldn't recommend using them unless you have a large project or something that multiple developers are going to be working with.

jestep, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  3. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've recently been working on Zend framework quite a bit. So far I like it alot with the only thing I dislike been the reading to coding ratio. At the moment i'm still trying to figure out how to do a simple login system using the auth and the access control stuff for pages accessible once logged in.

Overall the features i've seen on the Zend framework site seem quite useful and the reviews seem positive. I can't wait till I can understand it more so I can use more features of it.

chopsticks, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  4. AliasXNeo

AliasXNeo Banned

Best Answers:
    Wrote my own framework. Quite possibly the best thing I ever did. No reading books or tutorials trying to debug what may be an internal error because I wrote every single line in it. As I use it on applications I gradually make changes and enhance it. For example my last enhancement gave the entire framework SEO friendly URL's (e.g mysite.com/download/view/some download file/).

AliasXNeo, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  5. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    Custom. I have about 50 code libraries that serve various purposes, everything else is usually custom per project so it makes it hard to find or use a standard framework.

Christian Little, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  6. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does it follow any OOP design patterns such as the MVC?

chopsticks, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  7. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use my own or one my buddy made, depending on the project. For my own stuff I use one that I made called BlackLeopardEngine

clinton, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  8. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use my own, or none.

I never trust anyone else with code that will never be written to my standards, and I don't want to clean it up, plus the bloat is something I can live without. Its like those terrible JS frameworks -moofx, jquery etc.

Mine has numerous features that are all optional - a database layer, where running:
    $db->select("*", "table", "id='6'")

Will output the appropriate SQL query - whether it be MySQL, PgSQL, MSSQL or SQLite - each database engine has its own file, you just include what one you want.

I also have the fun of being able to place hooks in my code ANYWHERE, and use them succesfully from an external file. Numerous other features include INI reader/writer, output Javascript feeds, form generation etc.

blueparukia, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  9. o_rly

o_rly Guest

Best Answers:
    I recently started working with CodeIgniter. It is a MVC framework that is relatively well-documented and easy to extend. It's fairly lightweight, also.

o_rly, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  10. wood

wood Active Member

Best Answers:
    my site php frameworks .com compare different PHP frameworks and taking a look at many popular PHP frameworks,and help you to choose the right frameworks for you.

wood, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  11. clinton

Best Answers:
    It's the same with me, I've spent around 4 months working on my own framework that checks large amounts of form data, accesses a database quickly, lets you add titles, css, and javascript in the content body.

Everyone has their own taste, I like to avoid abbreviations: instead of $db I'll ue $database or instead of HtmlDoc I'll use HtmlDocument. I know it's a little extra work but it's a lot clearer and I use an editor that guesses what your typing so that helps.

clinton, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  12. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    LogicFlux, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  13. websinch

websinch Peon

Best Answers:
    same as above codeigniter rocks! It lets you use libs from any framework available due to how it was designed

websinch, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  14. softvision

softvision Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer Zend Framework

softvision, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  15. clinton

Best Answers:
    It seems like quite a few people use Zend's Framework. I might take a look at it to get some ideas for my own. Why do you choose Zend Framework?

clinton, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  16. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah and Zend Framework seems to do a good job of letting you use it as a library, so they are a good combination. Just put the Zend Framework directory in the include path and you're set.

LogicFlux, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  17. chanakya

chanakya Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a new programmer and i am building up my library slowly

How about sharing our libraries here ?

interested ?

chanakya, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  18. wing

wing Active Member

Best Answers:
    The current project I'm working on is based on Zend Framework as the client wanted it, and I must say I like it. It's easy to use, stable and the performance is great.
    Another framework well worth to check out is Konstrukt which has a totally different philosophy behind it.
    :)

wing, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  19. Social.Network

Social.Network Member

Best Answers:
    I use the Zend Framework. I am a .NET developer transitioning to PHP and found several offerings, including the Prado Framework. I selected Prado based on its ASP.NET event-driven programming model, which made it easier transitioning from .NET to PHP. However, I switched over to Zend and use it on all PHP-based projects.

Social.Network, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  20. Danltn

Danltn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you on the first bit (I too use my own framework), but the burden of jQuery is worth every kilobyte of bandwidth it uses (and I'm sure it only uses about 16kb, which is tiny.)

The amount of time it saves me over writing normal Javascript is astronomical. Definitely worth getting into if you need a snazzier site.

Dan

Danltn, Jul 5, 2008 IP