1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need advice from EX smokers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ILoveMakingYouMoney, Jul 1, 2008.

1. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I know several people that have used laser treatment to quit smoking. After one treatment, they don't smoke anymore, and as such swear by this method. Diehard smokers too. It doesn't even bother them to be around someone who smokes, and if they get a craving, it's fleeting.

It's expensive though - runs about $200.

flawebworks, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I used to smoke at least a packet a day.

One day I just decided I'd had enough, bought some nicotine patches, and never had another cigarette ever again.

The patches worked for me. Not just the nicotine, but also the fact they cost MORE than cigarettes - I bought a month supply in advance - so I was financially obligated to stop smoking :)

I haven't had a cigarette since Nov 11th 2001. I don't even think about it anymore, and wouldn't have a cigarette now if somebody paid me.

Kerosene, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  3. BlackHawkCigarettes

BlackHawkCigarettes Peon

Best Answers:
    I quit smoking for almost a year and then picked it up again. Then I quit smoking a second time for almost 7 months....soon thereafter, starting again.

What I found to be the most difficult while trying to quit:

° I enjoy inhaling the smoke into my lungs and exhaling it out again. The whole act is something I crave - it feels like breathing to me somehow. It relieves something inside me. Must be the nicotine crave.

° Being around people who smoked or the time that I was working as a waitress and was used to having all the cigarette breaks. That was difficult!

What I found to be most helpful while trying to quit smoking:

° Keep yourself busy and involved in something that you really have a fondness for. Writing, reading, painting.....things that you have to use both hands for our perfect! Sleep a lot....time will pass and this will extend the time between your last cigarette and the one you are about to light.

° Purchase a pack of the nastiest tasting cigarettes....or stale cigarettes. That will help curb the urge a little....not much though.

° Buy natural, no chemical, non-additive cigarettes. Every time I was able to quit, I related it to not being so chemically addictive to cigarettes. If you smoke the big brand name cigarettes like Camel or Marlboro, it is going to be much more difficult for you to quit. Look them up on line and you will get a large list of things that they put into their cigarettes. That alone, might be your ticket to quitting! Wean yourself off the big, bad brands first with all natural Native American cigarettes.

That's all I've got sweetie.

Good luck to you!

BlackHawkCigarettes, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  4. digitalduke

digitalduke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am also a smoker. I am trying my best to quit.
    I have found one thing which could help at some point

Have you guys heard of Electric Cigarette?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Stylish: The electric cigarette is appealing to the younger generation

And after all they are rechargeable: The 'cigarette' can be used again and again
    :D
    So, what do you say? Does it help?

digitalduke, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  5. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    That guy in the photo is a puff of steam.

:p

Kerosene, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  6. bangalore

bangalore Peon

Best Answers:
    In the morning say “I will not smoke just today” . Don’t think that you are not going to smoke forever. Next day tell you the same and next again….

bangalore, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  7. ILoveMakingYouMoney

ILoveMakingYouMoney Guest

Best Answers:
    Welp..it's morning..Last night I skipped my "before bed" cigarette...it's 9:30Am, and still no smoke..

I'm gonna go get a case of bottled water today...

I appreciate all of your comments! I just want the nicotine to be out of my body already..3 days is going to seem like forever.

ILoveMakingYouMoney, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  8. powerlifer

powerlifer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its just a case of you just dont do it anymore full stop, 1 cig leads to ill just have my night cig or my after meal one.

Pick up a healthier lifestyle, we you need a break, grab a piece of fruit or a herbal tea and sit in the sun for 10-15 etc.

powerlifer, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  9. genkied

genkied Active Member

Best Answers:
    i already stopped smoking for 6 months now..

> stay away from smokers. if your GF is a smoker tell her to smoke far away from you.
    > do it gradually... if you smoke 5 sticks a day. next week make it 4 sticks a day and soon....
    > enroll in martial arts class . you dont like to be a loser in sparring match right?

martial arts i recommend Muay thai, judo, jui jitsu, and arnis (kali)...

you can do it! if you want to perform BETTER in bed so QUIT SMOKING..

genkied, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  10. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are seriously fed up with smoking than you can quit. Take a hard look at the pack of cigs and throw them away and just walk away! And don't look back. Feel the pain of quiting so that you never start back again.;) This advice maybe silly but you heard the old saying " no pain, no gain".:eek:

Or

get pregnant that is if your a female that help me quit!:p

FOX LORE, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  11. ILoveMakingYouMoney

Best Answers:
    Lol....Ya, I don't even know what to say to that..But I agree..I need to quit....And it's 10.12 and I still haven't smoked..maybe the counting down is bad..but this forum thing is actually helping out alot!

12. ILoveMakingYouMoney

Best Answers:
    LMAO..You just go right for the good stuff huh?..hah..have a baby..I am a girl..I'm 27..I guess I could have a kid...that's a little extreme lol..Maybe I'll try the fruit idea first?...hah

13. ninebean

ninebean Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to smoke 40 a day, and as I live in the UK, it was quite expensive.

You need to do 2 things, address the addiction and also address the habitual factors.

The addiction is easy, as there are the stuff you detailed above which you have tried.

Reading the above, it sounds to me like you are a hibitual smoker so you need to work out what the triggers are, seems like it is a work element, you finish a task and then you reward yourself with a smoke.

For me, it was a cup of tea, if I put the kettle on I would go outside for a smoke, kettle boiled and I would make a cup of tea and take it outside and have another one.

My trigger was either going outside or making tea.

To stop this, I broke the trigger and stopped making tea, if I made a cup of tea, instead of having a smoke, I would go outside and have a biscuit or something else.

You need to break the triggers first as that is a mental element as opposed to a chemical element.

Its a long process, and yes I still want to have a smoke every day.

Just keep it going when you do give up and don't think of it as I have givven up for 1,2,3 etc days. Just say to yourself, I am not smoking today.

There are also the issue of NOT HAVING ANY CIGARETTES!!! To me this was a major issue as i WANTED a smoke, but I didn't have any. The second time I gave up, I bought a packet and left it on the side. This meant that I knew that if I wanted to have a smoke, I could but I just kept reminding myself that I didn't want one.

Its not easy at all, and you need to break more than just the nicotine addiction.

Hope this helps and the best of luck to you. :D

Rob

ninebean, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  14. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    still seems like a lot..
    I would smoke 2 packs a day, and stopped completely with chantix

Brandon Sheley, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  15. ILoveMakingYouMoney

Best Answers:
    A friend of ours quit with chantix, and she had no withdrawel symptoms at all, but as soon as she stopped taking it, she started smoking again.. I really just want to get over the 3 day "nicotine get out of my body" phase, and then hopefully be strong enough to not give in...

It's also hard when me and my gf's smoke breaks are our time to spend a second together...now I'm making her go outside by herself..lol..I am getting alot more work done this morning though...10.34am...I think the last time I posted it was 10.21am..lol..Ten minutes at a time people..lol..

16. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1-2 packs a day to me appeared like a light smoker.

Many people are chain smokers that can smoke 5 or more packs a day ;)

GRIM, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  17. PCSandwich

PCSandwich Guest

Best Answers:
    Just as GRIM pointed out. One of the most important things is to stay away from smokers.
    Change your daily routine so that you never see a smoker that is smoking a cigarette.

Since you have a girlfriend who smokes, I would ask her to never smoke around you.
    If she is living with you, then ask her never to smoke at home.
    If she is not living with you, then ask her never to smoke where you live.

You basically want to remove and avoid seeing anything that is associated with cigarettes.
    This includes lighters, ashtrays, empty packs of cigarettes (or worse full packs), cigarette butts, etc.

If you decide to try and quit without doing this, you will make it 10 times more difficult than it needs to be.

Fortunately, I live in California, where virtually nobody smokes. So it was easy for me to not see smoking, but if you don't live in California, you will want to make a mental note of where the smoking sections are of places like at your work, and avoid walking by them.

PCSandwich, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  18. xandomains

xandomains Peon

Best Answers:
    i wish i could quit also,i smoke too much

xandomains, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  19. preyank

preyank Banned

Best Answers:
    well i also tried to get rid of this habit. and after one or another reason. i again stuck with it.
    But if you ask me. cold turkey is the best way to leave it.

preyank, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  20. ILoveMakingYouMoney

Best Answers:
    Exactly...well for me, it's almost as if there's always a GREAT reason to smoke..even if I create it in my head..I could be so mad and angry about the dumbest thing, then when I smoke, it's all good...everythings fine..lol

And for the record..i did smoke today...but I waited longer! Usually I have a cigarette with my coffee, but I just had the coffee this morning..I'd like to think that's a step in the right direction! :)