1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What would happen if i totally changed the design of my site?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by willyboy104, Jul 2, 2008.

Hi guys, well i am pretty much fed up now with not having a wordpress theme and seeing all these other websites who use wordpress themes doing much better than me when there content and overall website is not as good.

So i was wondering what would be the effects and impacts of changing my website which currently runs a uniquely edited static web template and replacing it with a wordpress theme?

Would search engine rankings decrease, would traffic decrease, i would be able to keep the same file names i am guessing so i would not have to 301 redirect the pages.

What other implications would i under go?

Do you feel it is worth it?

Will.

willyboy104, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  2. usearchme

usearchme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there

Have done this myself, and changed my blog over, if you feel that you need to make a change then i would, i wouldnt be scared to change it, my site did go backwards a little bit when i moved over, but didnt really last long, and im glad i made the change.

Woc

usearchme, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  3. harbic

harbic Peon

Best Answers:
    for me when I change designs ,I alawys check rss or valdiate my rss to chech if there is a problem in the design
    In themaintime I use google webmasters tool by resubmit a new sitemap for my blog after a while google tells you if there are errors.Iuse a lot blogger templates but for blogsome and wordpress I don't know the extension for the sitemap

harbic, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  4. adbuckle

adbuckle Guest

Best Answers:

In my opinion. If I was thinking about a redesign, I would first think about what my goal with my site is to begin with. For instance, if I am seeking traffic from ad revenue or to make sales, I would see if my existing site performs well enough in those terms to see if my need to redesign is onpage or would it require a complete redesign. I it doesn't perform that well in those terms than I would know that the risk of losing any revenue would be minimized since I know that changing of domain and links with a 301 is going to cause me to loose some momentum. You would mostly like be able to do some patch work in order to make your existing site perform at an acceptable level. There are many more "business" questions that you would need to ask yourself before moving forward.

adbuckle, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  5. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If i was to start using a wordpress theme would i have to change my file names for every post/article?

willyboy104, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  6. thecatalyst

thecatalyst Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should change it if your really want to. Having a nice theme does help with traffic

thecatalyst, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  7. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    So the overall conclusion is that it would not affect my website too much in terms of SEO can i keep the same page names?

willyboy104, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  8. beacon.seo

beacon.seo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think it won't really affect on anything. your just changing the lay-out. but still, be sure you have a back-up of our old layout if anything happens.

beacon.seo, Jul 3, 2008 IP