1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Script Or Directory Software Can Harm Your Site

Discussion in 'Directories' started by domnom, Jul 1, 2008.

I was looking for script for regional business directory and while i was searching i found this :

Directory Script Or Directory Software Can Harm Your Site
    The Internet has changed. Directory scripts used to be an effective way to build your site link-popularity and increase your rankings in search engines. Not anymore! As of now, directory software can bring a load of problems to your site, often irreversible. It was hard for us to understand and admit that it is time to stop distributing Barracuda as a links directory script, but we can confidently say that, nowadays, links directory scripts should be avoided at all costs.

Why? First, you would be losing your time - building links-popularity through directory-script reciprocation does not work anymore. Second, it is now official that directories are very likely to cause long-term or even permanent exclusion from major search engines, like Google. Third, directories are now nearly useless for end visitors and bring little value to your site.

Our recent observations (including panelizing of our sites by Google) prompt us to recommend that you not deploy link directories on your sites anymore and consider removing your current link directories (unless you're absolutely confident about their value).

BoonEx Stops Barracuda Distribution
    Barracuda is no longer available for download. We will not continute its development. Instead, the name and the icon will be used for a whole new product, which is now being developed at BoonEx.

URL : http://www.boonex.com/products/barracuda/

domnom, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  2. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    hyper, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  3. domnom

domnom Peon

Best Answers:
    :) :) ;)

Well i don't know about the script but thanks for the "jingle bells" was a good reply

However i can't imagine a software firm dump their software with this excuse
    They hurt the whole company profile if they provide false claim

domnom, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is simply not true. :)

pipes, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  5. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Pathetic link bait for a product that is never going to take off as re-inventing the wheel is futile.

JamieG, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  6. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    The world is suppose to end yesterday. The 2nd coming of Christ 2mor, everything and anything can be found on the Net. Come on do look for authoritative sources rather than quoting from just some other web sites you have found. The sky is falling down by the way.

wisdomtool, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  7. domnom

domnom Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought this is an authoritative source wisdomtool

Maybe next time mods make a forum section where we can ask what we should ask at the board without hurting the pride of the other members

Guess was wrong especially when i got a negative reputation points ( Jul 1st 2008 3:11am load of bollocks ) because i had the nerve to ask such question. I just want to say that all these years i spotted several individuals with a false idea about their position at the forum. Their ego-maniac behavior and their luck of experience with real humans make them virtual referees that give everywhere red cards.

These persons must be spotted and banned from DP
    They hurt the free speech of the board
    I suggest this/these persons to give me more red rep. if i help them feel like humans. This is my forum contribution for them.

domnom, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    DownUnder and syted like this.
  8. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Sad to see that you had been red repped for this. Well I do not consider that authoritative but you definitely have the right to differ, just as I had differing opinions of the authority of your sources. Still I do not see why the need to red rep you when what you are doing is sharing an opinion.

My apologies if my remarks are hurting.

wisdomtool, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  9. domnom

domnom Peon

Best Answers:
    "Well I do not consider that authoritative "

- I was talking about the DP board and not the other site
    I didn't have any idea about how authoritative the other sources are
    I didn't run a directory before, as i said i was searching for scripts

I trust DP in general and their members. I'm not in visitor of the directory section
    I work with domain names

I thought i could ask this but it looks like this was wrong for some of the people/person here

Your remarks were not hurting. Afterall i agree with the "The sky is falling down" (In Asterix the only thing the tribe's Chief Vitalstatistix fears is the falling sky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_translations_of_Asterix )

domnom, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  10. domnom

domnom Peon

Best Answers:
    and the negative reputation point attack from the brainless person(s) continue :

"Jul 1st 2008 6:08am idiot"

and more :

"Jul 1st 2008 6:34am crap"

domnom, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool and SilkySmooth like this.
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to DP, put your hard hat on and dont mention the rep again or you will get more, i guarantee you will, once people know you are bothered about it.

And if i can hint at the reaction, well its because you came to the directory section suggesting something negatively, its normal that people wont agree with that.

Nobody talks about boonex here either, i seriously have never seen that script discussed in this section before.

pipes, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  12. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory scripts don't kill websites. People kill websites.

The script itself won't harm your site. What will harm your site is loading up a directory with thousands of unrelated links where you traded reciprocals. Using the software to mange sites you want to link to because you think your site visitors would like then won't hurt at all. In fact, managing related reciprocals with a directory script won't hurt you either.

freelistfool, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  13. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I vaguely remember running across that script some time ago and if memory serves it was largely a reciprocal link based system, not the kind of script that is more regularly used so it would come as no surprise if all of the sites running the script picked up some kind of penalty because recip linking is so often misused. Either way it is still a cop out by the developer, realizing the market is to difficult for him to compete in so jumps at an excuse to switch the script to something else.

domnom, feel free to ask your questions, ignore the idiots. I gave you some green to cheer you up.

There are several scripts which you can use to run a directory and you will not be penalized by big G unless you specifically do something to break their TOS.

To name a couple for you to search on this forum, phpLinkDirectory, phpLynx, or develop your own. You could also try looking at some of the Yellow Page systems which are listed over at Hotscripts.com as some of them work quite well for regional directories.

SilkySmooth, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  14. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    It was linkbait SilkySmooth nothing else, the OP only had to look at the script in my sig to see that our was actually made as a business directory with a three way regional field search, to the best of my knowledge there's not been one instance of penalization of it because its never been abused by an army of nutters barely out of their prams wanting to make a quick buck.

Freelistfool, nailed it when saying the script doesn't kill websites, its the people that use them.

The best bit of directory commons sense I've seen on here or anywhere else in a long time.

JamieG, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  15. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lol good one but i rather like these lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGkWqhI_PI4&feature=related

Listen to the lyrics and then take on all those that talk Sh*t on the
    directory industry without facts to back them...

Lol i figured i would dedicate this song to those non believers

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    syted likes this.
  16. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I'll remember that for next time.

:: SilkySmooth makes a mental note that next time when searching for software; to trawl through a forum and look at everyones sig links. ::

Not everyone is looking at you Jamie.

SilkySmooth, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    syted likes this.
  17. dog222

dog222 Active Member

Best Answers:
    :D good one.

dog222, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    syted likes this.
  18. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers: