1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain pointing question! HELP

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jasoncdu, Jun 29, 2008.

Okay, so I haven't bought my hosting yet, but I was just wondering .. since the host allows 2 domains on 1 hosting account, would there be any SEO problems with that? What I mean is this:

1) I have 2 completely different domain names, with different niche and all.
    2) I want to use 1 host
    3) I was thinking of creating a sub directory / folder on ONE of my domain names.
    4) Have my second domain name point to that folder so its like hosting 2 completely different websites, but on 1 host.

The most important question is ... would that hurt my SEO rankings / PR ranks / anything to do with search engines?

Sorry I'm still a beginner at this.. so if anyone could shed some light on this matter, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Jason

jasoncdu, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  2. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    It should be fine. Pages are requested from IP level and not your individual hosting account.

cormac, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  3. askloz.com

askloz.com Peon

Best Answers:
    If the two domain names are of the same IP address, then it wont do you any good at all, make sure it's a different C-class IP address and you'll be fine.

askloz.com, Jun 29, 2008 IP
    jasoncdu likes this.
  4. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    What a load of shit and your an SEO person? :rolleyes:

cormac, Jun 30, 2008 IP
    jasoncdu and ssandecki like this.
  5. jasoncdu

jasoncdu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay thanks alot .. but there's still a bit of uncertainty, because two different people say two different things. So.. can a third person confirm which one of the above is correct?

Thanks for all your help cormac and askloz.com
    Jason

jasoncdu, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  6. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course and totally understandable but what you are trying to achieve wont be effected if its on the same IP or not. A shared server can house hundreds even thousands of sites that share the same IP and they wont be effected. Straight from Google.

cormac, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  7. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more ;)

astup1didiot, Jun 30, 2008 IP
    cormac likes this.
  8. jasoncdu

jasoncdu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alright thanks alot people!

+ REP

Jason

jasoncdu, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  9. askloz.com

askloz.com Peon

Best Answers:
    ROTFLMAO. Nice language. NOT!

I've done studies on it. I've got over 500 websites and 4 dedicated servers so I should know what works BETTER!

Now, go and wash your mouth out. And remind yourself of the forum rules!

askloz.com, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  10. askloz.com

askloz.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Right. But if the sites on the same shared hosting server are sharing the same IP address are linking up to each other, sure the link counts, but it's about the total weight score that is applied to it.

Everyone should know by now that a link counts as a vote, if the IP addresses are unique from each other, a higher score is applied to that link.

askloz.com, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  11. Brad Miller

Brad Miller Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes it true,you should follow this..

Brad Miller, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  12. John D Stewart

John D Stewart Peon

Best Answers:
    Jason,

I'll try and give some clarity....

If you have two (or more) websites through one host, even if you only have one IP address, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. You say they are completely different niches, which means that you'll be targeting different areas of the internet to promote your different websites. So you'll be gaining backlinks etc etc from different websites / blogs for both your websites, i.e.

If your first websites niche was high heels (I don't know you, so I'm not ruling it out:) then you'd be looking for similar niche websites to promote this website.
    If your second websites niche was about crocodiles, then you'd be targeting crocodile-themed websites to promote your website.

So you'd have inbound links to both your websites (albeit on the same IP address) but with totally different incoming links.

Don't worry about having two or more websites through one hosting account. Won't be any SEO problems at all. If you link between your websites, then the search engines may not give as much weight to the links, but as long as you are externalling linking, go right ahead!

All the best,

John.

John D Stewart, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    jasoncdu likes this.
  13. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    The OP didnt say anything about linking the two sites to each other. Try reading the full post next time before setting out to confuse people.

cormac, Jul 1, 2008 IP