1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why ASP?

Discussion in 'C#' started by clinton, Jun 12, 2008.

I would liek to ask everyone here that uses ASP and .NET. Why do you use it?

clinton, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  2. mazzetta

mazzetta Peon

Best Answers:
    I think is the fastest thing to start with given a familiar environment and for "basic-born" coders.
    Also there is awesome support and .net rox

mazzetta, Jun 15, 2008 IP
  3. dylanj

dylanj Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll just say this: The only reason I haven't switched to Linux is because of ASP. And GTA.

I believe ASP and ASP.Net are both cool, although yes, .Net is better in the long run.

dylanj, Jun 15, 2008 IP
  4. centsi

centsi Active Member

Best Answers:
    ASP is old tech. .NET is the way to go.

centsi, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  5. mahacan

mahacan Banned

Best Answers:

it's easy for me rather than php

mahacan, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  6. mascix

mascix Active Member

Best Answers:
    to be successful key in developing at any platform is IDE. and I must admit vs.net is the best in that and that is why I use ASP.NET

mascix, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  7. yugolancer

yugolancer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Q. Why do you use it?

A. Give me one reason why i shouldn't use it or give me an alternative and i'll stop to use it.

My $0.02; stay away from the open-source crap and stick to asp.net if you are seriously interested in learning something good, powerful, reliable and payfull.

yugolancer, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  8. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Which is limited to Windows servers, has a very slow compilation time, comes with an IDE/designer for free advice on how not to code the HTML/Ajax.

Its not open source, so we have to rely on Microsot for everything, and only a few prebuilt functions compared to PHP.

The whole .net thing is starting to annoy me now I've started using Linux - so I am leaning away from Visual Studio and towards more platform friendly compilers for my C# applications.

blueparukia, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  9. yugolancer

Best Answers:
    That's the main reason why i love the ASP.NET. I will never go for anything that is open-crap. period!

yugolancer, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  10. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see why your against open source. vBulletin, WordPress, FileZilla, Apache, FireFox and many CMS applications are open source. Of course open source isn't for every one(companies who want to sell the software) but saying open source alone is crap is bullshit. I'm not saying that everything open source is sacred, there is a lot of open source garbage just like there is a lot of non-open source crap.

I find sites with .NET and ASP way too slow. I would rather pick up a language (PHP, Python, Ruby or even C++) and build my own framework, small or large, depending on my needs. There are frameworks you can download like BlackLeopardEngine, CakePHP, etc. that do a fine job, even if your running a large site.

In the end it all comes down to...do you really need .NET? Is it the right tool for the job or just overkill? I find that it's too expensive, the software and hosting that is.

clinton, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  11. yugolancer

Best Answers:
    Can you see that big "I" in my statement?

Means to str8 something; the statement above is still valid for me. You can say anything you want and probably convince a lot of freshers who have no idea what a open-source means but, for me it's nothing but crap. Except FireFox I would also never use any of those applications you mentioned. (don't forget about the big "I" :)

yugolancer, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  12. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it's all to his own. Thats what variety is for:)

clinton, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  13. Social.Network

Social.Network Member

Best Answers:
    I use .NET and J2EE for all enterprise application. As some have mentioned previously, Microsoft provides a great IDE, debugger, server platform, etc. that it facilitates very rapid application development. I cannot say the same for J2EE or scripting languages.

Social.Network, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  14. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    Good discussion is going here. ASP gets little slower if you use too much database result on the page. On every database result that you want to display data from database, is increased the file size. Actually, if you designed the page from NotePad, then it's not visible but you can see it once your make it as .asp.

My whole website is running with ASP and I really like it. I am designed my website as a little Search Engine, PPC, Directory, Webmaster Account etc. with ASP. ASP is really very easy and reliable language for me. You can make a Directory Website within 24 hours if you expert in this field.

Thanks
    ASPMachine

ASPMachine, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  15. yugolancer

Best Answers:
    My $0.02
    ASP is a technology not a language! ASP pages are written in a scripting language such as VBScript, JScript etc.

Hope this helps someone :)

yugolancer, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  16. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh! That's very good. You've also made a wrong. ASP is a Scripting Technology not just a technology. What you say it I don't know, but buddy, I say it is language for me.

ASPMachine, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  17. yugolancer

Best Answers:
    Ok how would you declare variable in ASP LANGUAGE then?
    <%myvar%> hehehe :D

It doesn't matter what you say it matters the facts which is that ASP is technology. period

18. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    I know the difference between Script and Language. I just say it as language. I say like this because in scripting we use code to make a logical output as we need. And in language, we also use code. So, both are the just a code to make a logical output in different platform. Now, where is difference between them and why you're just jumping with language and script? I don't mind the difference between the two platforms. Software makers are used like language and webmasters are used like script. But both are the code and nothing.

ASPMachine, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  19. yugolancer

Best Answers:
    I am not jumping i am trying to say something very simple. Means, ones again, ASP is neither language nor SCRIPT. VBScript, JavaScript, Perl and such are scripts. ASP is just a technology. I see nothing debatable here.
    By the way thanks for the good links in your signature. Very good !

20. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just love ASP. now trying to get along with .net :) lool its easy but seems hard for me :)

hope to have some new site with .net launched this year

ludwig, Jun 30, 2008 IP