1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eDirectory alternative?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by thomlind, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Does anyone can recommend me an alternative of the online directory software eDirectory?

In my opinion eDirectory is a great software which has great features, but it's above my budget.

thomlind, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  2. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    try phplinkdirectory, has a decent free veersion

EvcRo, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can you tell us what features you need please?

pipes, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  4. thomlind

thomlind Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Pipes, basically I need all the features like in eDirectory..

thomlind, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Being completely honest, i actually dont know :eek: ive had a look at the site and i can see why their price is a bit higher.

The directory script in my sig would do some of that for sure, but for all those features i dont know to be honest.

pipes, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  6. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    @pipes did you actually read the features of edirectory?

one that stands out to me is

If memory serves me correct phpld does not have this feature, so recommending it to a tomlind is wrong. It does not have the features which he requested in his original post.

@ Tomlind I would recommend http://www.phplynx.com as it has all the features of edirectory and many more. Dont be swayed by the majority phpld users of this forum, phplynx is a very good script and has many features out of the box which none of the other scripts have.

Antibot form security to name one.

Take a look at it, I have used it for a number of years with very good results.

If you would like to see the script in action there are demos available on the link I supplied and also a full version of the script working on the link in my sig.

Thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jun 26, 2008 IP
    JamieG and Spider-Man like this.
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @pipes did you actually read the features of edirectory?

one that stands out to me is

Yeah, thats why i typed "but for all those features i dont know to be honest."

Because i couldn't help further. :)

pipes, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  8. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    @Pipes

Are you jumping right in with a non-educated guess in hope of justifying the rental of your signature links?

@Aubenrey

Very good answer, nice to see someone evaluate somebody's needs without jumping straight in, rep added.

Spider-Man, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Spidey, when it comes to pipes, nothing is 'educated'.
    He does need to make ends meat though with sig sales in order to survive,
    so it's obvious why it goes down the way it does.

an0n, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  10. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    aubenrey - I am not a current user of phplynx but from the features I have read up on it does not do all the things this edirectory script does. For instance the Showcase listing option on edirectory allows for video uploads which I don't think lynx offers. Then when you look even closer there are numerous features that edirectory would have that most other directory scripts would not without heavy mod work.

I think the only way you will get a script that does "everything" edirectory does is by using edirectory or hiring an0n here to heavily mod up whatever script you do decide to use.

You could always contact edirectory and see if they would negotiate on that price a little. ;)

swedal, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  11. dog222

dog222 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may want to take a look at eSyndiCat.
    http://www.esyndicat.com/

eSyndiCat Pro vs. eSyndiCat Free
    http://www.esyndicat.com/product/comparison.html

And here's a current list of available plugins.
    http://www.esyndicat.com/product/plugins.html

Also feel free to ask at the forums, in the pre-sales area, if you have any questions.

dog222, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  12. doro

doro Active Member

Best Answers:
    doro, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  13. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    How much do you wanna bet. ;) Although, despite the [B****ing] delay's I'm desperate for the mods makers like an0n to have a go at our script because having compared most of the others we are far closer out of the box on offering what edirectory does, and for a hell of a lot cheaper. It won't take much to put in the missing features.

JamieG, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  14. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its definitely not just about features alone, its about design, about back end, about ease of use, I have check out edirectory a good dozen times over the past few weeks.... It is literally just WOW!

But the price is insane and beyond any logic....

eDirectory Owned License (ECOMMERCE)

$1499 one time cost, Includes installation on your server. Click here for system requirements.
    $500 one time cost Portal Package - includes Events, Classifieds, Articles, Banner Ads, and Zip Proximity search (US/UK data). You can disable modules you do not need.
    $199 one time cost Unbranded Version
    No "powered by eDirectory" link at the bottom of the front and members section.
    Support 90 days phone and e-mail included, $399 annual support contracts available

So that would make $2198 for a f***** script!! And only 90 day phone and email support... Ha ha... Would have thought they might make a community forum for that insane price but no... You have their email support.. For 90 days!

On the plus side I guess it results in less people buying it which means your edirectory will end up being much more "unique" compared to phpld or phplynx which are used thousands and thousands of times....

giorgioarmani, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  15. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I tried doing a bit of negotiating with them on the eDirectory script. I got a little movement but not enough to make me purchase.

The real deal killer for me is $399 per year for support. I really like that portal package and I would have been much more inclined to purchase if not for that annual support fee.

For $399 a year there should be someone waiting at my computer with a hot cup of coffee to log me on every day... :eek: Also from what I read, without the support package you are not even entitled to the updated releases.

Seriously though when you pay $2200 for the script I would expect support to be included.

swedal, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  16. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    What features did you like Swedal, if they are viable I'll look into getting these integrated into our script as I'm looking at stepping up a notch now.

You can p.m me the ideas if you like.

JamieG, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  17. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with you swedal... Support should be standard!!!

If their prices were reasonable I'm sure they would be huge...

giorgioarmani, Jul 9, 2008 IP
    Spider-Man likes this.
  18. samuelm

samuelm Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm looking to buy this script because I love the fact that every thing runs on autopilot from ads to coupons its really amazing.

A few question
    1) how much did you get them to move on the price (that way I know how much to push them
    2) If I rent it can I change the home page layout or do I need the source code for that
    3) do the support ssl and are they complient with any of the new credit card rules

If someone can reply to the quickly I would be very thankfull

samuelm, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  19. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you need a ban for all of your retarded spamming and bumping long-dead threads. The moderators have that ban, and they are well known for it. They are about to check you out.

EveryQuery, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  20. tim_ver

tim_ver Peon

Best Answers:
    Man this price is the same for the last year +. I would think by now it would be lower. and how about that forum, at least for people to post and help each other on issues.

So know one has a script as good or better than this one for a better price point?

Arghhhh

tim_ver, Mar 3, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.