1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ generates ZERO dollars?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by luigi202, Jun 24, 2008.

It says its all volunteer, does the website make no money at all?

luigi202, Jun 24, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  2. Randombase

Randombase Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of "editors" make some money on the side by forcing you to pay for submission :p

Randombase, Jun 24, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  3. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    haha yes, that is true :p

Mess, Jun 24, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  4. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    If Dmoz Meta Editors aren't paid then I really am Spider-Man :rolleyes:

Spider-Man, Jun 24, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  5. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I've often wonders how much the founders are paid to 'supervise' the minions? What with netscape running it I bet their on big salaries while the editors are on ziltch. No wonder there is corruption.

JamieG, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  6. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Jamie, as a self appointed expert in directories you should at least take the time to get your facts right.

The "founders" sold the directory many years ago and have no involvement in running the directory in a supervisory role or otherwise.

Netscape was acquired by AOL some time ago and is now little more than a brand. AOL own and run the directory.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  7. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I'd say its you who appears to have appointed me some kind of expert, mind you compared to you I probably am. As for the founders I'm not referring to them unless they are still there? Are they the ones mentioned here. http://www.dmoz.org/help/geninfo.html#runs

Pay attention to this part...

I'm willing to bet they aren't "Volunteers" and get paid a hefty salary of the volunteers backs. I may be wrong of course, I doubt it, but you never know. :rolleyes:

Let me tell you a hard fact of business life nebuchadrezzar as your just not getting it. I'd find it inconceivable that whoever the owners are would pay out to even a small staff, (do you know how much a systems engineer earns?)

AOL aren't a charity and I doubt it very much that they bought dmoz without some ulterior motive and knowing it earns them nothing at all. How much did it sell for?

Double standards is the phrase of the day as you've just confessed that the owners 'Sold it'. Sold the hard work of all the volunteers, but did they give ANYTHING to them for that hard work? No. I rest my case.

JamieG, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  8. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well done Jamie you are catching on. You seem to even be doing some research before you jump in and give an opinion. Keep up the good work. Yes you are correct AOL is not a charity and staff get paid a wage. And yes you have in your own charming indomitable way stumbled onto an interesting point.

Up to now that ODP has not cost too much to run, the site has not changed much in the last 10 years or so and it has been maintained by a few very part time engineers fitting in the ODP stuff around the other stuff they were doing. But the big crash must of cost a few dollars to sort out, now they talking about ushering "in a new era that will bring in new and exciting changes later this summer." Currently AOL is not earning any revenue from the ODP, and as Jamie so astutely points out they are not a charity, so what are their plans for the directory?

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  9. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I ALWAYS do my research on what and who I post to. I'll take your acceptance as an apology for after all you've said you pretty much owe me one don't you think. :rolleyes:

JamieG, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  10. luigi202

luigi202 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answers

luigi202, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  11. online_betting_systems

online_betting_systems Peon

Best Answers:
    interesting thread. great to know this too :)

online_betting_systems, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  12. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yet another thread about the ODP descends into childish namecalling and criticism... nice to see some things remain the same!!

MOG

MOG, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  13. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    and don't forget the moronic posts that contribute nothing of value to the thread:

Secret Squirrel, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you think that anyone is suprized that the name calling normally starts with editors?

Getting the facts right? Hows this?

Skrenta, one of the founders (with tens of thousands of affiliated pages listed that do not fit the guidelines) is still not only an editor, but has admin access.

To tell me again how the founders sold the site and no longer have active roles (supervisory or otherwise).

Please, if you are going to correct people, or call them out for spreading false or misleading information, at least give truthful information yourself.

Qryztufre, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  15. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    the same way Bill Gates will have access to microsoft offices and workzones probably even though he is officially retired from all official duties . :rolleyes:

the way you latch on to the skrenta topic is usually faster than a newborn latches to a tit .
    when are you letting it go ? the tens and thousands of affiliated pages have been multiple times discussed and hardly worth any mention.
    And as per skrenta's or XYZ's involvement in today's date with the directory ... how would you be the best source ... can you please tell me ? You are not even an active editor since how many years ??
    Since you are going to be the source of "truthful information " , how about you tell us about your sources ??

websys, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nice way to try covering an on going issue. I'll keep bringing it up so long as the problem is still there. I complained about the CNN links till an editor took notice and got them removed... just call it my part in cleaning up the filth and lies that are within the ODP... and if you would like to disagree with that, then heh, tell me again how many edits Skrenta actually has...I'd be willing to bet it's less then the number of his listed affiliate pages. Now tell me again how that fits within the guidelines?

And as for truthful information, are you trying to say he is NOT an admin and does NOT log in? Tell me again who is spreading the lies...

http://www.dmoz.org/edoc/editall.html]

So, erm, yeah, YAY 4 SOURCE LINKS! Wanna prove he is not active there?

Qryztufre, Jul 17, 2008 IP