1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Encrypting Wordpress Footer

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by bluemanteam, Jun 8, 2008.

1. rmg

rmg Peon

Best Answers:
    ^I think it depends on your how you code your design. there are some footer that has the codes connected to the layout (esp the /ending of the codes) so if any of it were modified, ofcourse the design will break.

rmg, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  2. The_Guvnour

The_Guvnour Peon

Best Answers:
    Its too easy to unravel a code this way.

Its just a case of view source on the page and then then relace the footer include with the rest of the html.

HTML wise i dont beleive you can do anything but php its a possibility

The_Guvnour, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  3. EricBruggema

EricBruggema Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those encoders can be decoded very easily, i've done it with a couple themes. If they realy want to remove your adds/links it will be done simply within 5 minits (if they have some php experience)

EricBruggema, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  4. ahmadfarhan

ahmadfarhan Peon

Best Answers:
    it really depends on how you encode the footer. It it;s a simple base64 encode with some code obsfucation then maybe you can do it in 5 minutes. But I highly doubt that anything that is encoded with zend encoder or ioncube can be decoded in 5 minutes. Most cormecial php software use these encoder to encode their "call home" stuff and although there are some that are already decoded by pirates some , for example WHMCS, are not cracked yet by the pirates it goes to show if you use good encryption and do the checks and call backs at the right places chances are you code is safe.

again, it depends on how far you are willing to go to protect your theme. It is likely that most theme you came accross the author simply can't afford to use a commercial solution like zend or ioncube. Furthermore base64 is not really an encryption algorithm but more like a way to do code obsfucation. The purpose of Base64 encoding is actually to do binary to text conversion.

ahmadfarhan, Jun 19, 2008 IP
  5. soad524

soad524 Peon

Best Answers:
    code your sidebar into the footer file and then encode it so if they delete it the theme doesnot work also make the footer dynamic so they cannot just look at the pages source and coppy/past that into the footer file

soad524, Jun 19, 2008 IP
  6. soad524

soad524 Peon

Best Answers:
    WHMCS has been decoded and nulled for about 2 years
    Anyway zend is not a good encoder anymore there are many working zend decoders floating around the net

soad524, Jun 19, 2008 IP
  7. ahmadfarhan

ahmadfarhan Peon

Best Answers:
    as far as I know the nulled version is a really old versions and newer ones have never been nulled since.. or maybe i just hang around at the wrong warez board...;p

ahmadfarhan, Jun 19, 2008 IP
  8. bluemanteam

bluemanteam Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have some example code you can provide on how to code the sidebar into the footer. I need to do something like this to break the theme if the footer is changed.

Right now, my footer is as follows:

<div id="footer">
    <p>Design by <a href="http://www.domain.com">Domain name</a></p>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

It's a very generic footer and even if I encrypt the footer, if someone just takes a default footer and replaces my encrypted one, the theme works.

I know encryption isn't 100% perfect, but it will stop the average person from trying to decode it. That's why I would really like to have the theme break if the footer is replaced with generic code.

bluemanteam, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  9. ahmadfarhan

ahmadfarhan Peon

Best Answers:
    that's why you need to hook something into the footer ..
    you could define an empty function with an obscure namein to footer.. and then call it somewhere from within you theme.. you have to encrypt the calling part too ofcourse.. so if someone just replace your footer the theme throws an error.. you have to catach the error too.. so that php doesn't just throw the function name back in the error output.. otherwise they'd just create a function with that name..
    this is just a random example.. i'm sure there are other ways to do it.. just be creative...

ahmadfarhan, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  10. bluemanteam

bluemanteam Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the advice provided in this thread, I've employed a couple of methods to get my theme to break if the footer is changed.

Now I need to encode it. Base64 encryption seems to be very easy to decode (reverse engineer). Someone recommended Truebug and I tried it, but I think that is Base64 as well.

Ioncube and Zend Guard are a little to expensive for me. Is there any free PHP encoder on the same level as Ioncube and Zend Guard but is free?

Thank you

bluemanteam, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  11. samehzone

samehzone Guest

Best Answers:
    what is your goal ??

samehzone, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  12. bluemanteam

bluemanteam Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to make sure that sponsors get their value by preventing their links from being removed from themes.

bluemanteam, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  13. eddieteo

eddieteo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am looking for such solutions too. Any other ideas?

eddieteo, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  14. kp_mastermind

kp_mastermind Active Member

Best Answers:
    giving a push...........
    anyone have script to protect footer?cross linking with other files?

kp_mastermind, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  15. old games & abandonware

old games & abandonware Active Member

Best Answers:
    Come on guys, there must be some easy way to do this. The simple footer encryption sucks, anyone can remove it in 10 secs.

old games & abandonware, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  16. loopline

loopline Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its a game really. Its not about trying to protect the footer to a point that no one can remove it. Even with the most sophisticated protection I have seen its still easy to remove it.

The rules of the game are to try and make it difficult for the average person who doesn't know what they are doing to remove. So simple css and even base encoding do that.

MAtt

loopline, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  17. old games & abandonware

old games & abandonware Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've read something about it. Do you mean the protection where removing the footer will result in breaking of the design? I will have to hire someone to do it for me :D.

old games & abandonware, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  18. zupreme

zupreme Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you need a practical example of this method, just get the source code for SMF (Simple Machines Forum) they have a DIV that is triggered if the forum is missing the "powered by" section.

zupreme, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  19. imphpguru

imphpguru Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Check out my encryption system at wor dpre ss templates.com, remove the spaces ;), Go there, download any tempalte, and try removing the link, its tough :).

Thanks

imphp.

imphpguru, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  20. Digital Swagg

Digital Swagg Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi I'm starting a theme directory myself with all original wordpress, joomla, and blogger designs, is it possible you could provide some sort of tutorial on how you encrypted the footer links for your themes?

Digital Swagg, Feb 16, 2009 IP