1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Freelance Writing Income, $9k +

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by KeywordsandCopy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. oblivion19

oblivion19 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    awesome blog bro..

just one question

can u pls give some tips to find quality clients that pay well.

oblivion19, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  2. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, congratulations and thanks for the tips. I have just one question: How do you manage to compete with guys from Asia and Eastern Europe who offer articles for $1 and $3 a piece. This is not a racist remark of any kind, it's just that the majority of clients find it hard to understand why pay $100 for an article if one can be bought for mere $1 :D

tankard, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    tankard, I'm obviously not Chris, but I'll answer your questions since I've done it dozens of times here already.

If you want to be earning $100+ per article, you need a few things:

1. Basic writing ability - if you can't write, you won't earn at that level.
    2. Basic marketing ability - this is even more important than your actual writing.
    3. A large network.

If you want the higher-paying gigs, but you're only finding the $1 clients, then you're targeting the wrong market. There isn't a single market for Web content - there are many. Quite a few clients want only experts in their subject matter for example - they pay a premium for it (and that's why I advocate specialization so much). Others simply know the value of high quality content, whereas others don't.

If you don't know the value of high quality content to your specific market, you won't get high-paying gigs, because you won't be able to properly pitch your services. You have to understand the motivations of the buyers.

There is no easy "place" where you can go to find these better gigs either. That's where the marketing and networking comes in. You need to make yourself visible - get your name out there (for example, I get a lot of gigs from my forum posting and my blogs, just by talking about what I know - which is also what I write about). You also need a USP - unique selling position. This is where you set yourself apart - it might revolve around your credentials, past work, etc. It shouldn't revolve around your prices - ever. Don't try to compete on price alone in a service-oriented field, or you set yourself up for failure.

Other than the exposure you create for yourself, networking is another excellent option. Most of the high-paying freelance writing gigs aren't advertised. You'll get them when a colleague or past client hears about them privately, and they refer you for the job. In many cases, the client doesn't even know that they need a writer. It might be someone in your network who suggests it to them, casually dropping your name, or the member of your network may point the site out to you so that you can send a cold contact query.

That's how you get the high paying gigs. Remember, you don't have to "compete" with the guys from Asia and Eastern Europe at all. They're not your competition, because you're targeting completely different markets.

I have a few articles on my main freelance writing blog that may also help you:

Setting Freelance Writing Rates the Right Way
    How to Get High-Paying Freelance Writing Jobs

jhmattern, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  4. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your insights. I find it really helpful. I've been doing direct mail (snail mail) campaigns for people previously and I think copywriting as such is very interesting and challenging.

P.S. Just to make things clear and avoid unwanted PM's: I've neither done any $1 articles nor considering doing some :D
    However, I would be interested in going back to my roots again some day... i.e. producing copy.

Thanks again ;)

tankard, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  5. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    tankard - Jenn is right on! Everything she said is what I was thinking...

KeywordsandCopy, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  6. vgal

vgal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Jen is amazing. Chris and Jen - you sure you aren't soul mates? :p Big, enormous kudos to both of them - and webgal.

vgal, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  7. vjlenin

vjlenin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Kudos, Chris. I am also a freelancer, and with Constant content, I have managed to earn so little as 600 dollars. If you could check out constnat content please look for vjlenin also visit my writing blog. Hope you will enjoy it.

vjlenin, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  8. jkc

jkc Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, that's great! Do you work a 40 hours a week? more? less?

jkc, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  9. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    jkc - No two weeks are the same, to tell you the truth. That is what I love about being a freelance writer...

KeywordsandCopy, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  10. dapyx

dapyx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Congrats on the $9k/mo!!. I used to read your blog everyday few months ago. I will start writing some more. This type of posts are certainly going to make people want to improve their writing skills, and get the most out of it!

dapyx, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  11. tjn

tjn Peon

Best Answers:
    I must pursue a career in freelance writing, not tech support.

tjn, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  12. govindvkumar

govindvkumar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $ 9,200 in a single month.I am hoping to get atleast about 700 $ a month.Congrats, Hard work pays ultimately.
    I am going to see your blog now

govindvkumar, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  13. seocompanymail

seocompanymail Banned

Best Answers:
    That is great and I know for certain that freelancers have a hard time finding clients sometimes and that writing takes a hell lot of work so congrats to you and hope all your goals succeed as the prior once did.

seocompanymail, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  14. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys and gals are right. It takes hard work, but is worth it in the end.

KeywordsandCopy, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  15. ozim400

ozim400 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey friend,

Which training materials or institution do you recommend?

ozim400, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  16. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    ozim400 - I am not exactly sure of what you mean. Are you looking for a book? A course?

KeywordsandCopy, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  17. writingguruchick

writingguruchick Guest

Best Answers:
    While I haven't reached this often, I did earn $11k last december, work has been slow since the beginning of the year with MARCH AND JUNE being "ok" months, meaning $4-$5k.....as long as I pay my bills I'm happy.....I have a lot of things brewing where I think I can consistently earn a lot each month, it's just getting things in gear.....

It's nice to see ambitious people out there.

writingguruchick, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  18. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    writingguruchick - that is the way that a freelance writing career always goes, or so it seems! Some months are good, some are average. But I am just like you. As long as I earn a solid income I am pretty happy...

KeywordsandCopy, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  19. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    KeywordsandCopy, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  20. wilhb81

wilhb81 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Way to go, Chris.

Another decent earning month for you here :)

wilhb81, Aug 5, 2008 IP