1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it Legal Google.tl.my

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by WebmasterTL, Jun 17, 2008.

Hi, I created Google.tl.my and forwarded it to Google. Is this legal?
    I am not profiting anything but just to make sure TM domains are not registered by my users at tl.my. Please comment on this. Thanks:D
    Rep useful comments

WebmasterTL, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's certainly "legal" as you aren't breaking any law. If you were using it for a site, you could have potential trademark issues - but that would be a civil action. As long as you aren't using or advertising it, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

mjewel, Jun 17, 2008 IP
    WebmasterTL likes this.
  3. dynashox

dynashox Premium Member Staff

Best Answers:
    Nope. You can't register Google trademarks even as secondary domain names. You better read the Google Permission Guidelines here: http://www.google.com/permissions/guidelines.html

Under 'rules for proper usage', you will see one of the thing you can't do is register Google trademarks as second-level domain names.

dynashox, Jun 17, 2008 IP
    WebmasterTL likes this.
  4. WebmasterTL

WebmasterTL Banned

Best Answers:
    I see there are 2 different opinion here. But I am not using it for my purpose and the subdomain is forwarded to Google.com. So there shouldn't be a problem right. I am only trying to avoid my users to try register TM domains like Google and Yahoo. Repped both of you. Please, I need more feedback.
    Also I'm thinking of creating
    DPF.tl.my so that its shorter and easier to access DigitalPoint Forum. Is this ok?
    Thanks

5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    First, google policy doesn't make it a law or illegal.

Second, this isn't a second level domain name.

I believe there has only been one case of infringement for a third level domain name, and it was google that was sued by Jews for Jesus. The case was settled out of court, so there is no case law supporting infringement for a third level domain.

It's possible google could sue, however, google would be to ask you to take down the domain prior to filing any lawsuit against a third level usage. They would have a very difficult time (impossible?) proving damages on a 3rd level domain that wasn't advertised and only redirected to their own site. I don't see any risk with the usage as it was stated.

mjewel, Jun 17, 2008 IP
  6. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're fine, the fact that you're not making any money from it and are in fact protecting it makes it legal.

Whitey, Jun 17, 2008 IP
    WebmasterTL likes this.
  7. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if it is just subdomain no problems :) but never replicate the original sites contents for your safety ;) :D

u can see lot hell of sudomains for google , adsense , adwords orkut in so many free hosting sites
    and of course for hacking purpose :mad:

chandan123, Jun 17, 2008 IP
    WebmasterTL likes this.
  8. WebmasterTL

WebmasterTL Banned

Best Answers:
    Emm.. thanks everyone. Repp for all. However this means I can use DPF.tl.my to be directed to DP without problems rite? Cheers

chandan123 likes this.
  9. calcalmx123

calcalmx123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i recommend you contact google because if one of your users grabs that domain then there may be trouble but if you ask google they might say its ok to redirect just ask to keep safe

as for dp i think it will be ok just pm the admin or a mod to ask

calcalmx123, Jun 18, 2008 IP
  10. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let's just say that it depends on the intent behind it and how the mark holder
    (if any) might feel about that, especially if they have the time, money and all
    the effort needed to make that feeling known.

Dave Zan, Jun 18, 2008 IP