1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

90% Of The SEO Advice On DP Is A Joke

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by glenndorsey, Jun 15, 2008.

I used to try to listen to all the "seo gurus" here on DP. If you try to do the same your head will start spinning from all of the conflicting advice. Worse yet, a lot of the advice that the "pros" agree on here is just flat out wrong!

I wrote a little story about this, and the many other mistakes I have made, on a good friend's new forum. If you want to curse me out over it (or applaud??), you can check it out here: http://www.bestforpet.com/best-pet-lounge/1669-i-made-100-000-online.html#post1770

I'm not making anything on this, and hell no I'm not trying to sell you a stupid book or worthless $50 seo kit. lol Just here to share and help a friend.

I also had a friend submit it to some social sites, but I doubt that it will do much there since the whole Digg thing is another stupid scam.

Good luck all!

Glenn

:)

If someone posts a solution, use the "Best Answer" link in their post to pick it as the best answer.
    glenndorsey, Jun 15, 2008 IP
    sweetfunny, Tom Thumb, magda and 4 others like this.
  2. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    And the point of this thread is just to advertise your forums or what? ;)

At least give some examples of conflicting advises you got here...

risoknop, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  3. Drabdcesign

Drabdcesign Peon

Best Answers:
    To some extent you are correct, however like Risoknop said this is just a post to advertise a FRIENDS site!!!

4. DealWorx

DealWorx Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent article, well written and lots of truth to it. :)

DealWorx, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  5. hexinator

hexinator Peon

Best Answers:
    cool post. I made some similar mistakes as well.

hexinator, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  6. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    lol nice read, i enjoyed it.. It's a good change from the "I made a zillion dollars overnight" hype, i Dugg it.

sweetfunny, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
    Lord Hades likes this.
  7. glenndorsey

glenndorsey Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you guys!

The point of posting it here is: be careful about believing everything you read here. Since all of the advice in these forums is free, that advice is worth exactly that- nothing. Before you join the bandwagon and start agreeing with what everyone else on the seo guru train says, step back and ask yourself to look into any given topic for yourself.

You want examples? I wrote one seo example in that story (it's a freaking free story that you can read for nothing or not! Jesus!), and the example was about the supplemental index. A lot of seo "pros" on DP will tell you that it exists... uhh.... it doesn't.

Another example--- Virtually EVERY seo guru on dp says that you must get links from related sources. For instance, let's say your niche is "seo". So you should get links from other seo sites right? And getting links from other niches won't help you right? Uhh.... wrong again.

But the point isn't whether I am right or wrong, it's just to try to step out the box to be successful. Take it or leave it.

Glenn

8. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A nice article.
    DP is at it's best when contributors can pass on things that've learnt from their own experience, and not claim to be an authority but just say "I had this situation, I did this, this was the result", but yes, there is a lot of parroting of things half-understood and half-remembered.

magda, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
    jg_abad and freelistfool like this.
  9. TheVccMatey

TheVccMatey Peon

Best Answers:
    My digg account got disabled.. Couldn't give it the lovin' it deserved..

10. Farmer77

Farmer77 Peon

Best Answers:
    That was actually a pretty good read and has some substance behind it. I experienced mistake #6 a month ago. I paid 30 dollars to have an article be published into a network of blogs and found most of the blogs were not indexed or were de-indexed. These huge blog network submission offers is still going on in the DP market place and I want to tell people it's a big rip off, avoid it.

And mistake #9 I had learned quite a while ago. It's better off to find someone on the forum who you suspect is making a good fortune and read their posts and study their sites if they offer to reveal them. You will learn more from that than you will from some conceited money making blog.

Farmer77, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  11. itcn

itcn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You did raise some very good points in that article, but you're a bit off on 1 or 2:

What they mean by supplemental index is duplicate content - and it does exist. If google finds 100 articles with the exact same text, it's going to put the first 5 to 10 or so it feels authoritative into its SERPs and the rest will be listed as supplemental. Don't believe me? Google the title of your post: http://www.google.com/search?source...4GGLJ_enUS221US221&q="I+Made+$100,000+Online"

No, you don't have to have links from relevant, authoritative sites in your niche. But it definitely does help. A lot of research shows Google looks at keywords in the anchor text of backlinks and also the text around the link.

Finally, as to the value of SEO advice in DP - of course it has to be taken with a grain of salt. These are professional marketers which are here to promote themselves and their links - do you think 99% of them give a crap about helping you outrank them?

itcn, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  12. music1989

music1989 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i really liked :D thanks

music1989, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  13. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    You do know the determination on what goes in to the supplemental index has almost nothing to do with duplicate content right?

sweetfunny, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  14. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ye know I could have wrote that post too :)
    Sounds like my experience on SEO/Web Marketing etc etc too .

Nice one mate! Rep given !

Tom Thumb, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  15. itcn

itcn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL ... Oh oh here we go, Mr X says one thing, Mr Z says another ...

Actually, I misnamed it in my post - I meant omitted search results over duplicate content, not supplemental results (which simply mean "less fresh")

itcn, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  16. kimix

kimix Member

Best Answers:
    Well it's great to see another article about SEO. The whole SEO businesses are there to rip you off. Just my 2 cents.

kimix, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  17. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    Good post, thanks

I've been through pretty much the same except instead of 'reading blogs by Shoemoney, John Chow, and other pro bloggers' - I never much liked any of them apart from doshdosh occasionally - I would have said 'spent too much time on DP forums'...too much time trying to buy links that don't help (because the seller suddenly has PR0 and 50 unrelated links on the page), doing link exchanges that don't help for the same reasons, submitting to brand new directories that disappear soon after etc

I still learned a lot of what I know here though - there are a few people who do know what they are talking about, and happy to share, just it takes a long time learning to see what is good and what is a waste of time.

(At the moment threads by James Dean Nash like http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=885912
    are often interesting)

Cheers

Rasputin, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  18. chidiwllms

chidiwllms Guest

Best Answers:
    so good!
    i learnt more

chidiwllms, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  19. silveraden

silveraden Banned

Best Answers:
    Anything cannot be done at the same time so it is normal to do one after the other... I am concentrating only in 3 promotional method that's why I can focus more... Try to do more than 5 methods and you will give up after a month... Concentrate on what methos you think works and forget other that doesn't work.. pretty simple..

silveraden, Jun 15, 2008 Set Best Answer IP
  20. glenndorsey

glenndorsey Guest

Best Answers:

I think that maybe a few thousand of us here could have written the same story, :p

I know I'm not alone. Everyone in here has probably made at least 1 of these dumb mistakes. At least 1...

Thank you for the kind words and the rep. By the ways, why do people want rep so badly in dp?? Oh yeah. Now I remember. So they can sell us crap that is a rip off and we will gladly pay because they have 10,000 posts and a green bar that stretches all the way across.

:p