1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Show Complete Credit Card Number in Payment

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by davet, Jun 4, 2005.

I recently upgraded to Optigold 3.3.7 but now the complete credit card does not show in the payment history. How do I fix it so it shows the complete number? Currently the first 4 digits are missing from the payment history.

davet, Jun 4, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It has been fixed for 3.3.8.

digitalpoint, Jun 6, 2005 IP
    ricky_ricky likes this.
  3. davet

davet Peon

Best Answers:
    any ideas as to when 3.3.8 will be released? I am getting more & more support questions relating to this issue. Customers think there is something wrong with their payment & expect us to have it fixed ASAP.

davet, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Probably towards the end of this week. BTW, if you set it to not show the entire credit card (which is a bad idea anyway IMO), it will work fine.

digitalpoint, Jun 13, 2005 IP
  5. davet

davet Peon

Best Answers:
    when will 3.8.8 be released to fix this problem? Your last post in June said it would probably be available towards the end of the week.

Is there any chance it has been fixed by now? I am amazed at how many customers contact me because they think the wrong card was charged.

davet, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  6. ezzinet

ezzinet Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is not that it sends the card number to anyone ... it's ok if it's not fixed on our side - but here's where the confusion creeps in ...

Say a customer has a VISA # 4128-3900-1234-1234 ...

When it processes the transaction, and creates a receipt, it only posts the last 12 characters ... i.e. 3900-1234-1234 - but that is internal, so as I said, no issues ...

But is sends the customer a receipt saying ....

BE IT KNOWN, that the undersigned hereby acknowledges receipt of the sum of $XX.xx paid by AmEx

Now THIS is whay confuses the customer ... because they don't have an AMEX on file - they have a VISA !!

Hence, the receipt uses the information from the 2nd set of characters to determine how the customer paid ... if the 2nd set is, for example "0123" it will say ...

BE IT KNOWN, that the undersigned hereby acknowledges receipt of the sum of $XX.xx paid by CrCd

This is generic enough - so it's not an issue ... but in a lot of cases, the 2nd set is a 3xxx or 4xxx or 5xxx or 6xxx and is causing a lot of confusion

Your last post talks about a solution in JUNE ... summer's over - it's the end of AUGUST now :)

ezzinet, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    3.3.8 should be available for download now.

digitalpoint, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  8. john

john Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you mind sharing your method for displaying the card type on the receipt, I haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

john, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  9. nighthawke

nighthawke Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't like the idea of showing full CC #'s on receipts either. In fact, that is almost stepping over the line of privacy laws that are in place to protect consumers. Tell your custies that those #'s are omitted for the sake of personal and financial privacy.

We have NEVER, in the history of the ISP's I have worked for, EVER had someone complain about why their full CC # are not being shown on their receipts.

In fact I have records showing folks approving our privacy policies that we have had in effect, that have exceeded all privacy laws in effect then and now. No, don't even try to do that. If some crackhead gets ahold of a full CC #, game over man. You'll never live it down.

nighthawke, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  10. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I do not understand why you want to show complete credit card numbers in payments, and why this application would even let you do so. I believe that is a violation of personal and financial privacy laws...I know I wouldn't want my ISP to see my credit card number, no matter how reputable they are.

Companies realize this and mostly respect this. That's why a lot of user-based sites that require a username and password state that they will "never ask you for your password" or something along the lines of that. That's because there can always be corrupt individuals who will take that information and abuse it, and that's a definate and big risk when it comes to credit cards.

And if that information comes in a receipt via email, then it is gauranteed NOT safe and any hacker can view that information and use it for their own advantage. That's abuse and theft right there..

EGS, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  11. nighthawke

nighthawke Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll add on to what i've posted and submit a appeal to Shawn.
    http://www.ironmountain.com/US/solutions/business/privacy.asp
    This portal shows what is required for is ISP/CSP owner/operators need to do to ensure the safety and protection of our clients and customers.

In fact, I would consider revealing the full Credit Card # on anyone's receipt to be a federal and state violation of that person's privacy.

Shawn, please pull that feature with the next build? It's too dangerous to do that for our customer's sake.

nighthawke, Apr 16, 2006 IP
    ricky_ricky likes this.
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You already have to specifically enable it to store full credit card numbers. It stores partial by default (it's always been like that).

digitalpoint, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  13. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thus the reason why it needs to be changed..

EGS, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  14. nighthawke

nighthawke Peon

Best Answers:
    We have warned him not to do it. But if he wants to, let him go ahead and do it at his own peril.

I'm going to leave it at that and if he does get in trouble, it's his company that will pay.

nighthawke, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  15. KevinK

KevinK Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    VISA/MasterCard regs I think mention the “show only the last 4 digits” thing. Very dangerous to show the whole credit card number. Wouldn’t do it…

KevinK, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  16. WhiteMarker

WhiteMarker Peon

Best Answers:
    I have heard good things from this affiliate program: https://www.acclaimnetwork.com/ do you know anything about it?

WhiteMarker, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  17. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    He's saying it stores PARTIAL credit card numbers by default.

You have me confused now. Do you want it to show the full number, or do you not want it to show the full #?

PayItForward, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  18. digipoint1968

digipoint1968 Peon

Best Answers:
    Acclaim is a pretty well recognized credit card affiliate network. 2 other well-respected networks are NCS Reporting and CardOffers.

digipoint1968, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  19. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    Showing the entire credit card number is likely in violation of either:

1) U.S. Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 ( http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/031224fcra.pdf)

Excerpt:

(g) Truncation of Credit Card and Debit Card Numbers
    (1) In general. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, no person that accepts
    credit cards or debit cards for the transaction of business shall print more than the
    last 5 digits of the card number or the expiration date upon any receipt provided
    to the cardholder at the point of the sale or transaction.

2) PCI ( Payment Card Industry ) standards. From the PCI Data Security Standard:

"3.3 Mask PAN when displayed
    (the first six and last four digits are
    the maximum number of digits to be
    displayed).
    Notes:
    This requirement does not
    supersede stricter requirements in
    place for displays of cardholder
    data—for example, for point-ofsale
    (POS) receipts"

I'd highly recommend you mask the credit card number, or you'll find yourself in trouble on two fronts ( the "law" and the Visa/Mastercard overlords ).

bille, Mar 17, 2009 IP