1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is submitting to directories becoming less important ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by spiritus, Jun 12, 2008.

I read somewhere that Google are starting to frown upon directory submissions regardless of how slow or fast they are done.

Is there any truth in this ?

Is is still worth submitting to directories ? I have a program that auto submits to over 300 directories but in most case ONLY the home page has a PR ranking. Any deeper pages have a PR of ZERO.

Do people use directories to find websites these days ??

spiritus, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  2. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is that so? Well this is from Google Webmaster Tools "Submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory Project and Yahoo!, as well as to other industry-specific expert sites."

Try looking here

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  3. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. Google is not starting to frown upon directory submissions.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769

"Submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory Project and Yahoo!, as well as to other industry-specific expert sites."

That doesn't look like they frown upon directories.

2. Don't use auto-submitters :)
    3. Directories are worth submitting to.
    4. I don't think many people use directories to find websites. Not the general directories anyway :)

jitendraag, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think so, why would it be less important? its a form of promotion, im using them before this post, will return straight back to submitting to them after this post.

Seeing the benefit still each day.

I wasn't aware that they were frowned upon, a few recent happenings for me assure me their not frowned upon.

pipes, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  5. Rod_Purnell

Rod_Purnell Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed with all replies. Relevance in submission is the key to using directories as a form of promotion or visibility for your webs. Choose carefully where you want to be seen and a directory will prove to be one of the best places to invest your time and or money where promotion is concerned.

Rod_Purnell, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  6. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Directories are the easiest way to tailor your SERPs for specific keywords. I just spend a little time every day submitting to directories and it continues to be worth it.

freelistfool, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  7. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most here will agree that automated submissions are not in your best interest. There's a couple reasons why... First, any directory on an automated submission list probably gets slammed with submissions. If they review these submissions, then it may take a long time for your link to be posted. Even if it is posted, it may be on page 80 and a while before it gets indexed. On the flip side, these directories accepting automated submissions may auto approve everything. This means they probably have a lot of bad neighborhood sites listed. I would not want my links anywhere near them. :)

You may be better off getting a free version of roboform (roboform.com) and using one of the many directory lists posted here at Digital Point. The form filler will help you complete submission forms, but at the same time you have complete control over how often you change your title, description, name, etc. I prefer to rotate the entire data set and it has worked well for me thus far.

Google is not frowning on directory listings. But Google does frown on spammy sites. Lose the automated submitter, and I think you will find many worthwhile directories to submit to. :)

Have a good day.

snowbird, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  8. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    I submitted to around 1000 directories, and the PR was boosted to PR4 from PR1. Backlinks from directory still play an important role in google's pagerank algorithium.

hhheng, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  9. spiritus

spiritus Active Member

Best Answers:
    I thought directory submissions were only useful in order to gain backlinks. The majority of directories I've seen I have never even heard of before and the pages where the deep categories are tend to have a PR of 0. Therefore, if (and that's a big "if) someone had found my website on this directory and clicked on the link then am I really going to benefit from any link juice as the directory page doesn't have a PR rating ?

spiritus, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  10. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just because a page has visible toolbar PR, does not mean it can't pass some. The toolbar is not fractional or decimal based. I suspect every indexed page in Google has some PR to give, even if it's only 1/100th of a PR 1. Start adding up many directory listings and your site will get some PR. If in the future those PR 0 pages increase in PR, your PR will benefit as well. :) I have PR 4 sites with backlinks from only free directories.

By the way, don't expect much traffic from directories. Their value is more for offpage SEO...

snowbird, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  11. fatum

fatum Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory submission works... But it takes time...
    Dont use autosubmitters is a bullshit. I am using Digixmas and happy so far with the results...
    Check sig

fatum, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  12. pixeladd

pixeladd Banned

Best Answers:
    i think niche directories are they way to go as well as article directory's
    It looks better if theres lots of sites about the same subject in one place

pixeladd, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  13. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well put.

quality web directory even more important IMO since there are so many lower quality one.

xc06, Jun 12, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  14. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No its not.
    they are still very popular..
    Niche dirs are more popular BTW :)

MeetHere, Jun 12, 2008 IP