1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I get my site listed in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by zapman, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm well aware of what's going on, thank you.

Spider-Man, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Great news indeed. I'm very glad to hear this!

Unfortunately I can't see all the exciting plans, so I'm having a little celebration on my own. Have fun!! :)

makrhod, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  3. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    You could if you would just reinstate........ ;)

shadow575, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Proof?

That would make sense, as they are competing with your own smoke and mirrors as seen at the ODP. Yes it's "free" but how does one get listed? Oh, that's right, they become editors, set up bots, and auto-list all of their affiliates.

And again, you are correct, a category with 20 links half of them dead and the other half written years ago is certainly more helpful to the end user then a blank page. At least when I get to an empty category the end of wasting time is over... that's certainly some how worse then wasting additional time clicking through dead and broken links.

Way to go promoting wasted time on behalf of the end user... says a whole lot about what you think of them!

Qryztufre, Jun 4, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  5. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right to be outraged at such activity, which is completely against the spirit of the human-edited directory, and any volunteer who acts in such a way would risk permanent closure of his account.

As always, if you (or anyone else) has proof of editorial abuse, please submit a detailed report. Thank you. :)

makrhod, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

LOL, ya really think it'll help against Skrenta?

7. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    That's fantastic and all people like me want to see. I'm not interested in arguing the toss over the benefits of free or paid directories, they will both exist. There is corruption no doubt, I was one of the victims Makrhod, when this kind of thing is ironed out and the database updated it should restore to its former glory.

JamieG, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  8. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    That again? Sheesh. skrenta was one of the founders, so I suppose he could have done anything he wanted. Don't know I wasn't there, however what I do know (and you do too) is that he did not add deep links to his own sites. Existing staff added links to populate categories, and at the time it was considered a useful resource. It was done long, long ago and under different guidelines than we have today.

They are slowly being culled back from categories where there is little to no relevance. That doesn't mean that they are all going to be pulled or even that they all should be, but individual editors have the flexibility to decide for themselves when they come across them.

9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It's odd that you agreed till I said who...

If a new editor lists all of his/her affiliates with little to no additional edits that editor runs the risk of getting all of their sites blacklisted, or at the very least they would be removed from the directory as an editor. But when it's a "founder" all of their listings are at the whim of the individual editors. That is a double standard, and a double standard supported from the very top.

So yeah, that again... and likely again and again, till all editors are treated fairly and equally.

I listed my own site originally, along with a handful of others. I have been repeated been told that my actions were in 'self interest' and have received nasty PM's and reputation comments for such behavior...but it's somehow OK when another editor (of any rank/level) goes beyond the "human" to have a bot list thousands upon thousands of links. Again, any other editor would be removed as quick as could be...

Or there is no standard, and the best way to get a DMOZ listing is to become an editor and list ones own site. After all, that IS what the directory was founded upon and such a thing IS supported from the very top. To make things even easier, editor applications can be submitted time and time again until accepted, where as the 'suggestion' is "submit once and forget".

The entire system is set up for self interest, and the founders are the role models for the rest of the editors...

10. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh no. I still agree that it shouldn't be done and I and many others have worked to cull out the junk listings for some time now. No one has been penalized for it.

Under the current guidelines and community standards, auto population of deep links is not acceptable. Self interested editing is abusive editing and is dealt with when its discovered on an individual basis. Adding a few affiliated sites along with non-affiliated sites is not abuse, so long as all sites were treated fairly and all were listable. If an editor has harassed you, file an abuse report including the evidence you have of the harassment and it will be investigated.

11. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Gosh Christopher, I am real glad you brought this up I am sure you will not mind me using you as an illustration of the techniques of these snake oil merchants AKA as the pay for inclusion directory. As I am sure you know Christopher I hold you you in the highest esteem and please do not take this personally.

Like the fine fellows who run pay for inclusion directories your sig here contains several links. Yours are to occult forums and a site selling car parts. . Now chaps like me think wow Christopher is a nice guy, he wouldn't deceive us, these must be great sites with great products.

Thats is where the smoke and mirrors come into it . Some of the sites you are endorsing in your sig are there because you think they are great sites, the others are only there because of the few bucks that you have been paid . You are duping the people who trust you because you have been paid to.

But that is only part of the story. Just like these directory owner Snake oil merchants are vocally promoting the SEO benefits of listing sites in their worthless directories you are known to extol the benefits of having a link in a DP sig.

Anyone with a IQ higher than a five year old can see that search engines would give an infinitesimal boost, if not an outright penalty, to a site paying to be promoted in this way.

Speaking of smoke and mirrors you keep bringing up what happened 4 or 5 years ago as being commonplace. That is pure deception, and is part of your modus operandi, as is many of the of the purveyors of listings in worthless directories.

Indeed the worth of a ODP listing may be much less that many commonly think, and perhaps the quality of the data may leave something to be desired but the difference is that no one is bouncing around forums such this extolling non-existent benefits in order to make a quick buck. To be honest I would not expect a sig link seller to understand this but I am an eternal optimist.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    If it was cleared up 4 or 5 years ago I'd not be bringing it up, but the fact that those listings are still there, the editor that is affiliated with them is still there, and that most of the links to such a site are not worthy of being listed in DMOZ once let alone 10 thousand times should speak for itself as to just who is blowing smoke... the people that are trying to brush it under the table (you) or the people that are actually opposed to such actions as they are not inline with the proper mindset of the ODP (me).

So yeah, say what you wish about me, I am open and honest about selling links, and there are not smoke or mirrors with my sig. A simply search of my posting history should clear that up... can you say the same about the automated links within the directory? Can you say the same about the listing of affiliated sites? I'm sorry, but comparing my actions to the actions of the ODP is just wrong.... I am honest about what I am doing. Can you say the same... and if you can, then you'd not be hiding behind a false name here, so tell the truth. :rolleyes:

Smoke and mirrors indeed...

Qryztufre, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  13. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a quick reality check to clear the flim flam from the air Christopher.

1. Many editors (including myself) regard what happened all those years ago as abuse.
    2. In todays environment where editors have a much higher expectation of staff it is unlikely that an employee of AOL wold get away from it now.
    3. As has been explained to you before editors regularly remove these links if they are discovered to have insufficient content.
    Now instead of harping on about ancient history Christopher, the ODP has some real problems that would be very interesting to discuss. However this forum seems to have degenerated into a a gripe session of why is my site not listed, and you ranting on about something that happened years ago.

14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It's not history till it's over with and the offending editor has been removed. As it stands the links are still there.... And if you'd like to discuss what this forum has become check your own posting history and count the helpful posts then count the trolling posts, and tell me just what you've made this forum into yourself.

The matter of Skenta IS current, as he still logs in regularly and seemingly edits. If any other editor would have been sent packing if they had 10K+ deep links to their own site... as he can still log in, and as his affiliated sites still have thousands upon thousands of deeplinks, tell me just how this is ancient? Yeah, yeah, it happened YEARS ago, but then, if that makes it old, I guess we fine Americans can't be backed up by the constitution, as that was written even in more ancient times :rolleyes:

So yeah, spin another one little lady, and tell me how Motsa is now up for sainthood or something...

15. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    These two statements must rank as the most bizarre things you have posted here.

16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Soooo... what you are saying is that talking about something that is on going is not OK unless it is. Yes, bizarre indeed :rolleyes:

17. locjan

locjan Peon

Best Answers:
    it not easy to get listed no of my site accept, any idea?

locjan, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Readability & comprehension? your post is rather hard to understand and if that is any indication of your sites, then may just very well may the reason for them not being listed... then again, you run a very good chance of an editor just not making it around to your corner of the directory.

Submit & forget...

19. jzlaw

jzlaw Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of people are still riding the "clout" that DMOZ had years ago. Back in the day if you were listed in DMOZ in did wonders for your rankings and traffic, however as of the last couple years, DMOZ directory has fallen off the charts and like others have said, it is no more important than any other directory. Don't put too much effort in DMOZ it won't do you any good. They are very slow and have no logic to whether you will get listed or not, it's pure luck. They need more human editors.

jzlaw, Jun 7, 2008 IP
  20. lucianoc

lucianoc Guest

Best Answers:
    I´m Editor for Dmoz.org

Please read this:

Dmoz.org/help/submit.html

lucianoc, Jun 7, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.