1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Freelance Writing Income, $9k +

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by KeywordsandCopy, Jun 2, 2008.

Hey all -

After posting my income last month I received a lot of pm's and replies asking for assistance, etc. I am hoping that I can help just as much this time around...

In May, I earned approximately $9,200 through freelance writing. For the full post and details you can visit : http://www.chrisblogging.com/freelance-writing-income-may-2008/

Remember, it is possible to earn a solid income by finding quality clients that pay reasonable rates.

Please feel free to ask any questions here, via pm, or by sending an email through my blog.

Hopefully everybody is on pace for a big month in June!

KeywordsandCopy, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  2. telegraph.hill

telegraph.hill Peon

Best Answers:
    Well done - that sounds like a reasonable sort of an income. I'm going to rush off and read your article!

I think you are right: finding quality clients that pay reasonable rates is what is important, rather than faffing about wasting time with clients that only pay super-low rates.

telegraph.hill, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  3. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    22 projects? Holy cow that is a lot of projects! Congrats on your new numbers.

You can make a good income copywriting. Not only do you get the clients that pay what you deserve based on experience, you show these clients you deserve it by giving them great copy and service. You've got to bring more to the party than words alone. You need to know the target, you need to position their product/service/cause in the market. You need to care. You need to immerse yourself.

I've had months I've earned over $10k and ones where I earned less than that. Some months you want to have more fun and work less and not be tied to the almighty dollar. It's just important to remember that you have to have passion for what you do and you want to enjoy it. I do what I do well because I love it. My clients know this right away and I don't have to say it. They know I care and that I measure my success based on theirs. I think the passion happens before the money. Because you can't make money for long in a profession where you have none.

I'm not implying others here don't have it. I'm just making the point to others on this board that if you have that passion, you will be able to make a nice living at it.

webgal, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  4. vgal

vgal Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are always an inspiration, and I'm glad to see you stopped in to share this with us. 9k is an astounding amount to me, I can't even imagine it. :) And Webgal - over 10k? I don't even have words for that haha. You all are such wonderful inspiration and sharing your knowledge with us is very appreciated by everyone here I'm sure!

vgal, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  5. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the feedback thus far! If anybody has any questions, let me know. I am sure others on the copywriting board will also be able to help...

KeywordsandCopy, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  6. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts Member

Best Answers:
    This is amazing! My goal is simply 1000$ monthly:) This is awesome! Congrat... Great to see that others are doing well. It inspires me to push myself even further.

MisterEThoughts, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  7. what

what Active Member

Best Answers:
    Kudos to you! I wish I can earn as much someday soon :)

what, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  8. romele

romele Peon

Best Answers:
    Great dollars... Almighty dollars.

I am still scratching when my Adsense would ever hover above 2$ .... Thats where it still stands, withstanding all the inflations.
    Great... I can use it when Google pays me the same in heaven!

Congrats!

romele, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  9. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the kind words. If anybody has questions, feel free to let me know!

KeywordsandCopy, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  10. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats! What I'd like to know is what was the big break for you, where did it go from "earning an extra buck" to making a living off freelancing. I've sort of quit freelance writing in order to focus on my own projects, but the most I've managed to make in a month was around $2,000.

Tudi, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  11. wilhb81

wilhb81 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've a big fans of you, Chris.

ALways follow your blog's update and have learned many useful knowledges on freelancing.

Still have some doubts about some of the posts, will contact you shortly...

wilhb81, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  12. TerrificContent

TerrificContent Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is this your highest earning month ever? Regardless, congratulations on it! I hope to someday make 1/4 of that in a month. :)

TerrificContent, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  13. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    TerrificContent - This is my highest paying month in 2008, yes...

KeywordsandCopy, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  14. ndcole78

ndcole78 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good month. My only question is, do you have a system in place like say 1shoppingcart.com to where whenever someone buys your service, they're automatically entered into your list? I'm asking this because I'm a copywriter as well and I make over 5 figures each month, but by having all of my clients in my list, I can send a broadcast with additional offers and many of them always buy again, which means more profits for you without spending anything on advertising. People who have used you before are three times more likely to buy from you again.

The money isn't in the initial sell, all successful marketers know that backend sales is where the real money is made. You seen pretty savvy, so I'm sure that you already know all of this.

ndcole78, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  15. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well it is great to see you are earning more and more everymonth. My goal always $1000 and I am glad to reach it from 3 months now. I almost near to $2k so hoping $2 k by this month.

Rohit patel, Jun 5, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  16. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    ndcole78 - I don't use a service such as 1shoppingcart.com. But you are definitely right in saying that repeat business is important.

Rohit - Glad to see that you have a goal in mind; that is one of the first steps to success!

KeywordsandCopy, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  17. tsrumler

tsrumler Peon

Best Answers:
    That's amazing! You give hope to many freelance writers out there who wish to make it a full time job. I am only hoping to gain some experience and possibly make some extra money for our family for the time being because I'm a stay at home mother and I'm finishing college. Once I graduate however, I'll be a teacher's aide and will want a supplementary income for summertimes. This has shown me that is entirely possible to more than succeed! Thanks for the inspiration!

tsrumler, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  18. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well done chris. Seems you have a good reputation as well, which is what i appreciate more than your income. :D

Oh and i am curious about a few things, and maybe others here are interested as well. If you don't mind

1] An quick overview of the types of jobs/work, which you did this month [The specific niche's]
    2] Who were the highest paying clients, as in individuals, companies, magazines or such.

That's very true. Passion and motivation are my biggest problems. If i had high passion and motivation, maybe i'd be 4 times richer.
    Still manage to get around without much of them though.

lightless, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  19. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Keywords- Share with every one the steps you took to get there. Everyone seems to arrive at that sweet spot in a different way. In my case, it's web copy, print ad and broadcast copy as well as creating overall communication plans for clients.

webgal, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  20. luzdios

luzdios Banned

Best Answers:
    Congrats!! Nothing to say i ma speechless at the stats hope you get more and more even i aspire to reach that stats soon but just try to get repeated clients as that is very good for a steady business..

luzdios, Jun 5, 2008 IP