1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WYSIWYG Css editor ?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by macrojen, Nov 27, 2005.

iam good at css editing is there any WYSIWYG Css editor worth buying ?

macrojen, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  2. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    not buying... just get php designer 2005, it supports highlighting of CSS. Really you shouldnt need to... But maybe it is better.

execute, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  3. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    GTech, Nov 27, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  4. macrojen

macrojen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Style Master looks good ! goona try the demo

macrojen, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  5. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    depending on your needs
    just to modify quickly an existing CSS style sheet

the firefox developper toolbar also works fine - you see in firefox what you change in the CSS in the small sidebar on the left

hans, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  6. trochta

trochta Peon

Best Answers:
    I checked out style master, haven't gotten very far but at first use feel as if it is just a css tool. I have used dreamweaver forever and wish I could just say, build this using css rather than tables. Furthermore it would be nice for fireworks to export the html in a similar fashion. I haven't bought the upgrade for CS3, am I missing this as a feature or anyone know of what I can do?

My programming days are long gone and I would just rather bang out sites and modifications needed for my products but using up-to-date coding.

trochta, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  7. jan2007

jan2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    "the firefox developper toolbar also works fine - you see in firefox what you change in the CSS in the small sidebar on the left"

Didn't know about this. Thanks, will give it a try.

I use Top Style Lite. I really like it. Someday may upgrade to the full version which lets you see the code as you edit it. Also validates it via WC3.

jan2007, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  8. Crazymik3

Crazymik3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just use dreamweaver. A bit pricey, but when you use it so much it's worht it.

Crazymik3, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  9. Giorgi

Giorgi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft Expression Web - not only CSS editor, you can check your code on XHTML validaty on the fly!!!

Giorgi, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  10. nexenator

nexenator Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try iStylr (http://iStylr.com) - It is a free online CSS WYSIWYG editor and template generator.

I know this thread is a little old but maybe somebody else will find this useful.

nexenator, May 29, 2008 IP
  11. steelfrog

steelfrog Peon

Best Answers:
    Nov 27th 2005, 12:44 pm
    Yeah, it's say that qualifies as "a little old". :p

steelfrog, May 29, 2008 IP
  12. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Do yourself a HUGE favor and get the very NOTION of a WYSIWYG out of your head. It's a crutch that will prevent you from learning to do it properly, do nothing but frustrate you with the code it vomits up and tries to present as valid, and in general end up costing you more in the long run on wasted effort that it could ever save you compared to just learning to do it right in the first damned place.

deathshadow, May 30, 2008 IP
  13. Everences

Everences Peon

Best Answers:
    Microsoft Expression Web - not only CSS editor, you can check your code on XHTML validaty on the fly!!!

Everences, May 30, 2008 IP
  14. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Because when it comes to valid markup - you can trust Microsoft.... RIGHT

deathshadow, May 30, 2008 IP
  15. nexenator

nexenator Peon

Best Answers:
    @deathshadow: iStylr.com helps beginners to learn CSS faster in two ways...
    1st you can watch the CSS code grow while you type in the matching values (open sidebar -> CSS Editor)
    2nd users can refer to the integrated help area and ask questions related to css and (x)html

nexenator, May 31, 2008 IP
  16. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Because a website saddled with some **** browser sniffer (that isn't necessary since it works FINE in Opera 9.x if you mask as FF) is of course a good indicator that the site is worth using... excepting of course the layout that's broken in large fonts and even at normal sizes has goofball padding, baby sized fonts, plays CSS switchy games like they wree going out of style, and how about the complete lack of formatting on their crappy UNCONDENSED output - oh yeah, these are people to be taking CSS advice from.

Hell, even their activation e-mail isn't worth ***. (LOVE how it redirects to referrer - that's ****ing brilliant)

Like most others, /FAIL/ hard... only thing it can teach you is how NOT to make CSS... or a website for that matter.

deathshadow, Jun 1, 2008 IP
  17. nexenator

nexenator Peon

Best Answers:
    deathshadow: well you seem to love it :-~

what exactly needs to be improved for it to be recommended by you?

nexenator, Jun 1, 2008 IP
  18. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll step into his shoes for a minute:

Rofl.

Why make it available for Firefox only, when in Opera, you can go to:
    Tools->Quick Preferences->Edit Site Preferences->Network->Mask as Firefox and the site WORKS PERFECTLY fine. (Still using Opera's rendering engine, just Firefox's user agent).

Why make it available for Firefox only when IE makes up over 60% of marketshare. Most users aren't gonna download another browser just to view your site. Most likely they are very comfortable with their current browser.

Is it just so you pretty much force the user to click on your referral link? Which I am pretty sure is against Adsense TOS. If you want to make money, put the f**king link on your site, without interrupting others' experience.

Lets move onto your code:

<div style="display:block;" id="main_wrapper">
    	<div style="" id="in_main_wrapper">
    Code (markup):
    I can spot a fair few errors in that tiny amount of code.

1. An id applied - which means it is unique, so why the hell have you applied a style to it. This should be in the CSS!

2. An empty style attribute on a unique div? What were you thinking. 2 errors on 2 lines, doesn't speak well of your code.

rel="SHORTCUT ICON"
    Code (markup):
    Why is that in capitals? A great way to show ignorance/annoy the crap outta me.

Also, inline styles? I can let this go I suppose, but it should be in an external stylesheet.

Your buttons are not text, which makes them very annoying to use for both me and the search engines - especially since no alt attribute is specified.

You use an image link with a javascript:void() href, which is making the creators of both Lynx and the "disable javascript" button roll over in their....beds. Accessibility nightmare right there.

That link then in turn opens a new windows. How badly do you want to piss people off? If I want to open a link in a new tab, I will right click and press "Open in background tab" - so I don't have something forcing my current active tab.

Don't get me started.

Knowing deathshadow, write an actual tutorial for clean, minimalistic, semantic markup and CSS instead of that WYSIWYG crap - make your code good, clean and accessible and anything else he/I may have mentioned.

Good day.

blueparukia, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  19. nexenator

nexenator Peon

Best Answers:
    @blueparukia: Thank you for your time and your detailed post.

Actually it doesn't. The homepage is obviousely working in any browser (at least it could be made working) The main application itself however renders really bad when not used in FireFox.

Trust me I'd love to make it available to all browsers and have it x-browser compatible but this will take a lot of time so I have to currently focus on one browser and that is FireFox.

Anyhow most points made by you refer to the homepage template (which I already updated to remove empty styles and co.) and not the application. Here I have to admit, that neither the design nor the code is really pretty. Again, I descided to focus on the functionality of the iStylr main application and not the homepage design.

This is my full intention because it is the only way I know of to have enough room for the applications main stage (especially on smaller screens) and I guess that you will use offline-design-applications in fullscreen-mode, too.

Well, by the definition of web 2.0 that I know it is the users generating content and giving the ability to share and exchange those contents - and this is exactly what the iStylr offers. Users can create, import and share their designs as well as imagry. In near future users will even have the option to sell their designs and/or images. Not web2.0? Maybe business 2.0?

@All:
    I really need feedback like the above as I want to make the iStylr a rocking application that everybody (I know this is hardly possible) will love. But if you give feedback, please judge the application and not the homepage design (or send in a better one :D ).

Have a great day!
    Stephan
    http://iStylr.com

nexenator, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  20. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Right, I'm tired right now, but back to this:

You'd be mistaken :p

http://dredgy.com/terminal.JPG

Anyway, the web is all about accessibility. If 1% of the internet cannot access your site - boom - over a million users left isolated.

Then do it, its not hard. Since the registration ain't working for me, I'd assume all it is is Javascript and CSS. To get that cross browser compatible...should be no major problem for a good coder. If your application does not work in all browsers, why should I expect your generated layouts to?

It shouldn't. Especially not if its done right in the first place. If its not, then invest the time. I don't care what you've got on your plate. Make it work. In the screenshot of my browser above, you'll see a small desktop environment like thing. All done with PHP/MySQL/Ajax. Validates xHTML strict, works on all browsers as well as with javascript and images disabled. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but...well I am - it works this way cause I took an extra 5 minutes to do it right in the first place. And if a 15 year old can do it, so can you.

Then why isn't it functional in any browser except one? Seems to be opposite to functional. Trust me, I ain't trying to be harsh, it just slips out.

I am gonna try to re register, and give you some criticism on the application itself tomorrow. Sorry if that wasn't constructive, I try, but I often fail :p

Thanks for reading though :D

EDIT: Registered, and the application seems to work reasonably well on Opera. Anyway, off to bed.

blueparukia, Jun 5, 2008 IP