1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Squidoo vs Wikipedia: One Day Squidoo Will Beat Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Bohol, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Squidoo - DoFollow (take note)
    Wikipedia - NoFollow

Squidoo- High PR
    Squidoo- High PR, too

Squidoo- Gives ad revenue to charities
    Wikipedia- Masking as non-profit but it is using money from people's donations to build tools to beat Google.

Squidoo- The page is yours and no one will delete it.
    Wikipedia- Write all day long about you're favorite topic, the next day someone vandalized it and twisted the facts and the editors have removed your outbound links.

One day Squidoo will beat Wikipedia.

Bohol, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  2. nightlinker

nightlinker Guest

Best Answers:
    nice but wiki is more popular

nightlinker, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  3. Think_Big

Think_Big Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see Squidoo as being different from Wikipedia, rather than in competition with it. With Squidoo, a thousand pages could be made about the same subject, whereas Wikipedia would just have the one page.

Squidoo can be used as a marketing and traffic driving platform, while Wilkipedia can't.

Think_Big, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I beg to differ, both are totally different niche and different market segment, there won't be any such incidents as who beat who.

wisdomtool, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  5. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    One day Squidoo will beat Wikipedia in what?

I'm a big fan of Squidoo, but they're two entirely different beasts.

Reprobate, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  6. mark123456

mark123456 Peon

Best Answers:
    wiki is all about open information, squidoo is mainly about people plugging their various affiliate products. squidoo beats wiki from a webmasters sense (mainly due to the dofollow), but not from regular people that are looking for information.

mark123456, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  7. Poon Poi Ming

Poon Poi Ming Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Bohol, you may well be right. All one needs to do is to follow 5 simple rules, according to one internet guru:
    1) Improve your writing style
    2) Become more opinionated
    3) Stay current and relevant
    4) Perfect your personal brand
    5) Don’t put all your eggs in SEO
    and presto! hehehe.

For more information, read http://easywordpress.com/test/how-any-blogger-can-beat-wikipedia/

Poon Poi Ming, May 28, 2008 IP
  8. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well, they are 2 different concept. but if you are considering backlinks and SEO, then squidoo is the way to go. i however think they will go nofollow soon due to insane amount of spam and abuse

sultanofseo, May 28, 2008 IP
  9. confusion

confusion Guest

Best Answers:
    The two things that you really claim will be the downfall of wikipedia - nofollow links and public editable pages - are the very reason that wikipedia will continue to be the authoritative source. Keep in mind that you are looking through the lens of a SEO, not from a consumer of information. Nofollow dissuades people from spamming the bejesus out of the site, and public editability means that people can continually refine the page to be the authoritative source for a given topic on the Internet.

I will say this - I have a link on on several wikipedia pages - not very popular pages, mind you - and wikipedia referrals are about 10% of the visitors that come from a my #2 spot on google. That's pretty impressive to me.

confusion, May 28, 2008 IP
  10. GlowStormLion

GlowStormLion Peon

Best Answers:
    I went to this site and although I didn't feel like making an account in order to leave a comment, I've got to say it's right on the money. That's the philosophy that I came to a few months back before we started the "big push" to re-build Happy Horror as a brand.

GlowStormLion, May 28, 2008 IP
  11. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i hope . i do not like wikipedia.

trichnosis, May 29, 2008 IP
  12. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hahaha, GlowStormLion, do you believe in that? It was a tongue-in-cheek quote that I posted after I checked out with them on the effectiveness of the formula, and their admin has denied it, saying that it was just an article for their test blog! What a big joke when they used it like a real promotion piece to promote their Super Wordpress Blogger or whatever!

Poon Poi Ming, Dec 23, 2008 IP
  13. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia's latest request for US$6 million makes me want to vomit. And I thought they were still fresh from their last donation drive that brings them... was it US$2 million odd?

Why do they need US$6 million a year? A US$2.7 million allocation for technology in 2008/2009? That's US$7,400 a day, including Sundays. The Mediawiki software is pretty well-established and has been used for some 7 years. Forget about the allocation and just rely on volunteers, just like those writing Wikipedia articles.

I hope the Wikimedia Foundation is not planning to take everyone for a ride. I have seen enough of so-called non-profit making foundations like the Singapore National Kidney Foundation scandal where they take everyone for fools. By the way, that CEO has been sacked.

Poon Poi Ming, Dec 23, 2008 IP
  14. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    It isn't cheap to maintain a site like Wikipedia, for non profit organization their audits will have to be done in accordance to the guidelines, laws and bylaws governing that of non profit organizations. It will be too early to suggest any scandal on the side of Wiki unless you have some insider information that we do not know of. $6 million is a just a drop of water when you are maintaining a system so big. Yes they do have volunteers but they still need full time engineers, technicians etc to run such a massive site. Lets not charge them without any conclusive evidence. They had done a good job in condensing and providing knowledge on the fly to a lot of us.

wisdomtool, Dec 23, 2008 IP
  15. Oberon

Oberon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Squidoo has one huge, almost insurmountable problem: many lenses have very poor content, if any at all.

It's a terrible shame, but many lenses are nothing more than a list of links to other lenses. Some of these lenses are very highly ranked on Squidoo, but of course totally penalized by Google, which is all that really matters in this game.

Content-rich pages are extremely rare on Squidoo.

For this reason, at the moment there is no match at all. Wikipedia wins hands down.

Oberon, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  16. Random Guy

Random Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    I love squidoo, but there's no chance in hell that it'd beat Wikipedia. Oberon, those pages might get dinged, but there's plenty more great lenses on Squidoo

Random Guy, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  17. CrimsoniteX

CrimsoniteX Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like most people have said, they are two different things. But why would you launch a link building campaign based around Wikipedia? I could understand for traffic, but link building?

CrimsoniteX, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  18. seoservice1

seoservice1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good but Wikipedia have very big database and have more popular, I think squidoo can not beat wikipedia

seoservice1, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  19. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Squidoo will never beat Wiki.

siflur, Apr 10, 2009 IP
  20. welivethis

welivethis Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you're misguided in your reasoning... there's just too much opportunity to abuse squidoo to ever see it beat out wikipedia

welivethis, Apr 10, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.