1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Beating a site with sitelinks to first position?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by pipes, Mar 18, 2008.

Is it possible to knock a website down to 2nd, 3rd position and take first poistion in google if the competitor has sitelinks, or will their having sitelinks displayed pretty much make that impossible?

I mean for any keyword or phrase relevant that i or anyone else could be ranking well for.

Im not asking how many links it would take or can i beat my competitor and how, but purely if their sitelinks for a keyword make them non passable.

pipes, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  2. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    Companies should only be be able to get sitelinks for their own brand names or product names, I think its rare to see sitelinks for generic search terms. Though in UK an insurance company has them for a generic term.

Nobody is unpassable, if you can build enough links, trust and content you can pass anyone. If you did pass someone who had sitelinks for that term then I assume the links would vanish, I've never seen anyone in 2nd place with the links.

Vic_mackey, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  3. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've had sitelinks for a variety of search terms unrelated to a product or brand name.

Jim4767, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As an example, my competitor is there with sitelinks when i search a two word phrase, their domain is the first word and the 2nd word in the search phrase is one of their subdomains, im in 3rd position, im suprised as they have been establish much longer, in 2nd position is a seperate link of theirs.

So i guess when they show up for that 2 word keyphrase its because their lucky enough to have the one word domain, plus well established, plenty pages and plenty backlinks.

Ive got a feeling they dont work on seo, their sites strength is community i would say, so hopefully they dont see me coming, not really aware of me chasing them. :)

Confused.com :) yeah i see those ads often, i actually dont like their ads, i rarely see a well done ad on british tv for internet based things like insurance and similar products, but it must be working for them i guess.

pipes, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  5. sexymassage

sexymassage Guest

Best Answers:
    you have to get more links, and get more triffic, add more unque contents.

sexymassage, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    :) You must not of read my post.

Will a sexy massage be relevant too? lol

pipes, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  7. Trippen

Trippen Peon

Best Answers:
    Find out who owns the site and go and shag his wife. He is spending way too much time on the site and not enough time on her. You might not bump him out of first place but you will feel better. :rolleyes:

Trippen, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Another bizarre answer, you clearly didn't read the post.

pipes, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  9. Trippen

Trippen Peon

Best Answers:
    The answer is clearly way over your head.
    With 4,883 posts someones probably shagging your wife.

Trippen, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  10. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    just because a site has sitelinks doesn;t make it impossible to beat them. if it was a one word patented name, that would be different which is not the case. you are on a very good position being at 3rd already so its relatively easier for you. the other site you are talking about is not doing any SEO means another plus on your side. everything else you are doing must me right since you aer 3rd. i think with some more good quality relavant backlinks, you can get furher ahead

sultanofseo, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  11. dpking

dpking Peon

Best Answers:
    Impossible it self says that Oh Yeah !! I M POSSIBLE
    Well defeating a website having site links is tuff but is quite possible !!
    As far as i think .. SiteLinks are Nothing but some special respect from Google to some websites !!

Google thinks that the company is expert in the key phrase Google is displaying site links... and what the company is providing is far good in comparison to its competetors .... like one said above insurance if you can prove Google that you are better then you will surely get 1st place and will get additional site links as a gift from Google .. kicking the present site to 2nd and Google will remove site links from the website currently having 1st position !!
    Remember age of domain and PR might be an important factor in this case !!

dpking, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  12. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, your so....

To take the edge off of your fun :) i dont have a wife, or girlfriend or boyfriend etc, have you been a victim of this? you seem focused on wives and them being taken advantage of :p

pipes, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  13. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks sultanofseo, it gives me confidence that i can pass it, i was in 5 position recently then with in the last few days got to 3rd, as you say more relevant backlinks to help push it up, cool

Thats an interesting thought, that mine getting to 1st is going to result in their sitelinks removed, i guess it may work that way, i keep seeing changes in sites with siteslinks where their showing 8 of them i think it is, then at another time half of that.

The other site does have an older domain, i actually respect them with how established they are, i dont look at a competitor in an evil way but rather like the challenge to improve and push up my sites position.

pipes, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  14. dpking

dpking Peon

Best Answers:
    If they have an older domain this will be tuff but believe me it is still possible !!!
    Get some High Quality Relevant links also if possible if you will manage to get a link from that website you want to beat up with targeted anchor text .. you will get 99% of your motive solved ;). Also try getting links from other websites who are in #1 position in google in other google DC .. .ie .. As above said for the term insurance in google.co.in #1 is wikipedia.org and in google.com #1 is insurance.com so getting backlinks from such sites will be 2 much helpful !!
    I hope this will help ;)

dpking, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  15. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks dpking, its great advice i will begin my further efforts to take their spot :) wont be easy but il give it my best shot. :)

pipes, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  16. icetrax

icetrax Peon

Best Answers:
    You can knock them down in the opposite way, by optimizing the ones who are exactly bellow him, that way they will climb up, and he will go down.

Simply.

icetrax, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  17. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Cool, thanks icetrax.

pipes, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  18. dpking

dpking Peon

Best Answers:
    dpking, May 22, 2008 IP
  19. skaterkee

skaterkee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm confused, what the hell are sitelinks?

skaterkee, May 23, 2008 IP
  20. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks dpking :)

skaterkee, sitelinks are when the search results for a website name or keywords shows additional links underneath, sometimes up to 8 extra.

Like adobe http://www.google.com/search?client...al&channel=s&hl=en&q=adobe&btnG=Google+Search

Its currently showing an extra 7 as i type this.

pipes, May 23, 2008 IP