1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Worth making a directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by !Unreal, May 21, 2008.

Ive been a member on DP for a while now and people tend to have the same sort of websites. Proxies and directories.

Is it worth making one? They are alot of work and if everyone has them, what is the point?

!Unreal, May 21, 2008 IP
  2. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If your asking what is the point you probably should not make one..

swedal, May 21, 2008 IP
  3. !Unreal

!Unreal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im not going to make one and Im not saying that they are useless. Just why does everyone have them? Its not an original idea.

!Unreal, May 21, 2008 IP
  4. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They are as original as you want them to be.

I think what you don't understand is there are different levels of directories. You seem to be just lumping them all together saying one is just as good as another when that is not the case.

There is a new directory just announced in solicitations called directory42. Do you recognize the difference between that one and say JoeAnt?

Saying that new directories should not be made just because the idea is not original is similar to saying that since cars have been around for decades Toyata should not have developed the Prius.

Most people seek to make improvements, incorporate some new feature or benefit. Some people just enjoy developing a nice resource.

swedal, May 21, 2008 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why do people get up each day?

You have asked a question and didn't really need any answer, if your not that interested then please dont spend your time moaning about them.

I dont like where i live, but for now its where i live.

I have 4 directories and compared to some other sites they are not a lot of work, they just require constant care but any type of proper site requires the same.

[​IMG]

pipes, May 21, 2008 IP
  6. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Because like proxies, they make money.

mikey1090, May 21, 2008 IP
  7. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    DVD players aren't an original idea either. However, many manufacturers build them because they believe they can make money via different features, different price points, etc. The directory business is exactly the same. Those that come up with original "features" and good price points will survive. The others won't.

freelistfool, May 21, 2008 IP
  8. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the above. Any business is worth getting into if you have the drive that it takes to make it successful. If you are not confindent in your skills to make it work then this is not the market for you.

banless, May 21, 2008 IP
  9. stockhola

stockhola Guest

Best Answers:
    I did not bother to stop and ask if it was worth it when I got started 2 days ago. If you have to bother to stop and mock or ask if its worth it then no you should not start one. You should believe in any site you build and poor time into it. Otherwise you are setting your site up to be worthless.

stockhola, May 21, 2008 IP
  10. itechiesnet

itechiesnet Peon

Best Answers:
    If you plan to make a web directory, it is better to focus a specific category, instead of being too generic.
    There are thousands of junk web directories that includes all kinds of categories in the world.
    Also, once you create a web directory, approve only quality links. It is worth it.

itechiesnet, May 21, 2008 IP
  11. newcity

newcity Peon

Best Answers:
    pretty straightforward answer.. yea depends on your interest. :)

newcity, May 21, 2008 IP
  12. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    proxies and directories are two different things,
    you can make money from anywhere field if you work hard.

WallaceYeung, May 21, 2008 IP
  13. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Have you forgotten like proxies they get banned to if unethical techniques are used? :D

If comparing two things on same platform points out the pros and cons too. ;)

Anyways@ op.

Everyone can make his/her directory unique, every directory is not the same. Some die in months/years, some live until its owner dies and keep shining. It really depends on who is the owner of that directory :)

humm, May 21, 2008 IP
  14. !Unreal

!Unreal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see what your saying. But I don't entirely agree. The internet works differently to normal industry; if you have an original idea your website will be alot more successful, because people stick to what they know.

However, some directories are very good. The owners work very hard on them and it was worth them making it. But what I dont see is why do people make them if they just dont care. They think it will in effect be run for them by the people submitting sites. Ive used some directories where it is full of spam and it is full of ads.

!Unreal, May 21, 2008 IP