1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you monetize proxy sites? Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by DeadEyesOpened, May 19, 2008.

I see a lot of proxy sites for sale in the sites forum, and was just wondering, what is the best way to monetize this type of site? I see proxy sites with adsense, but not much else.

Also what are the expenses in operating a proxy, is there a lot of data transfer? How do you promote your proxy?

Are there any Proxy Gurus willing to part with some proxy secrets......

C'mon on tell us ;p

DeadEyesOpened, May 19, 2008 IP
  2. Tooschee

Tooschee Active Member

Best Answers:
    expenses:
    domain
    server with a lot ofnabdwith
    (OPTIONAL)
    Unique theme for the proxy (if not, then there is a lot of free templates, for example You can find some in my signature)
    If You search good You could get them for about 10-15$
    You can see this list of Web hosts allowing proxies

Then, Adsense plus one CPM network ( for example see this list ) is the key to some revenue in my opinion.

Also, advertising should'nt be thought, because some of Digital Point free offers, are offering advertisement to Your proxies through Yahoo/Google discussion groups.

Tooschee, May 19, 2008 IP
  3. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are several ways to monetize a proxy website, there are the more primary strategies that can be implemented for example google adsense and the more secondary ways for example promoting a yahoo group.

The most common method i would say is Google adsense and other advertising programs uch as bidvertiser and adbrite the most commonly used is google adsense for its easy and simple to use optimizing options. This allows you to optimize/customise the adverts to suite the style/niche of your website.
    So for proxy sites you may wish to use webhosting adverts or something aimed more at teenagers (being the main target market).

Other methods you can implement are adverising/promoting a proxy group for example on Yahoo or Google this could be your own group or one someone pays you to advertise. You add there invitation box and a small paragraph telling people why they should join and thats it.

You can sell links on your website, these could be text links or image links, dependent on how many you want to sell the money you can make here is rather good.

There are other ways but i would say these are the main ones, however remember do not just think about how to profit first hand from the site, taking the proxy group for an example, if you get people to sign up and then send them newsletters monthly and 10 people buy a product from your newsletter for $25 each then thats $250 from one site.

You can look here for more examples and also look out for a new proxy tutorial coming soon.

http://www.back-links.org

Those are the ways in how to monetize a proxy, the expenses are hosting which can be high if you do not shop around, as proxy sites eat up a lot of bandwidth generally in the Gigabytes. I would suggest either purchasing a server or a resellers acount (perhaps share with a friend).
    The domain name will also cost you most people go for .infos as they are cheap however if your thinking about keeping a proxy site for a long time i would suggest using a .com its more expensive 5 fold however it looks more professional, and would often sell for more.
    The design can be free as there are thousands of templates to use free to download, and do not take much to install, i am currently working on a video tutorial for installing three of the more common proxy scripts which will be available in August (busy with exams currently) this will help the less able people.
    Other costs will be marketing and promoting however through research and reading on these forums and through the internet as a whole you can find whole bunch of great articles and tutorials on how to free or cheaply advertise the proxy site.

I personally do some excellent marketing and promoting for proxy sites $6 per site, which i have refined over the past 6 months and still doing. I use many techniques however i learnt how to do it through this site and overall the internet.
    Perseverance(sp?) is the key, stick at it.
    General most common advertising methods would be:
    Signature Links on forum (both increase backlinks and traffic)
    Submission to main search engines Google,MSN Yahoo (Long term impacts increase in stable traffic) do not bother submitting to other search engines many just reflect what these main search engines input.
    Free Proxy List submission for example http://www.proxypromotions.com free and paid submission.
    Yahoo and Google Groups, posting your proxy to these groups
    Yahoo Answers

Hope this helps

Will
    Good Luck.

willyboy104, May 19, 2008 IP
    Pal and gonecrazy like this.
  4. DeadEyesOpened

DeadEyesOpened Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your comments guys, pretty green rep added!

Anybody else?

Would you recommend starting a proxy site?

5. Joomla Dude

Joomla Dude Banned

Best Answers:
    Hello dude,the best way to monetize your Proxy website is by adding adsense in best places on the frontpage of the proxy site and then use Kontera,Adbrite,TTZ Media Ads in the proxified pages.
    Hope,this helped.
    Thanks..

Joomla Dude, May 19, 2008 IP
  6. Pal

Pal Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not recommend you to start a proxy site now, because summer is coming and schools will be closed soon. It's better to wait till September, study more about this business in summer and launch a network when schools are open. :)
    Good luck

Pal, May 19, 2008 IP
  7. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh yes i forgot to point out, due to summer coming up most schools will be breaking up for the half term summer break this lasts anywhere in between 6 ans 12 weeks. Also universities break up and colleges and many people take breaks from work so the amount of traffic and demand for proxy sites rapidly decreases.

So if you have not already developed your proxy site i advise you just sit back for the next couple of months and perhaps take this time to refine your proxy knowledge and learn more about marketing and promoting skills.

Will.

willyboy104, May 19, 2008 IP
  8. seo4china

seo4china Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are serious about making money with proxies you will need a VPS. Proxy sites are not suitable on shared hosting environment as they are very demanding in resources (CPU load, bandwidth etc.).

For monetization you should have Adsense on the home page, Adbrite in the proxified pages and also through in a pop-up advertiser. I personally use www.paypopup.com although it is quite difficult to get accepted.

For marketing you should start by Google and Yahoo groups. I would avoid top proxy sites as this can cause your proxies to be blocked very soon.

I will be starting a new web host site soon that will target new proxy site owners, with very affordable plans that will suit those who wants to test the waters. For instance with $5.95 you can have 3GB disk space and 30GB bandwidth (1GB per day), and for $9.95 you can get 10GB disk space and 100GB/month. I will be using the same server I currently use for my own proxy sites (VPS) but haven't launched the site yet. Let me know if anyone of you is interested in one of those plans.

seo4china, May 19, 2008 IP
  9. DeadEyesOpened

DeadEyesOpened Peon

Best Answers:

I don't know where you are from my friend, but in this part of the world winter is coming!

rep added anyway, def something to think about!

I'm going to target teens with the adverts and promote in schools and college, I'm not real sure of the potential, but hey, why not have a go!

To everyone with good advice, rep added. Thanks for your input! Have a nice day!

10. tommygswfc

tommygswfc Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure where in the world you are, i'd guess somewhere SE Asia/Australia, but the best paying traffic is USA/CA/UK and europe, and unfortunately it is well into spring here , with summer not too far away.

Use this time now to prepare perfectly, decide where you will host, find a great template, learn about the best ways to monetize, that way when september hits you will be all ready to go and make a great start.

My Advice: Adsense on the front page .. also integrate a google (paid) search bar into the homepage.

Adbrite on the proxified pages... although if you fancy a risk, why not try some affiliate programs .. the lead rate is low, but will pay much much better than any banner network.

Put adversal popups on the proxified pages too

Just my thoughts.

tommygswfc, May 19, 2008 IP
  11. z613

z613 Peon

Best Answers:
    See my sig for at least one proxy secret and more to come! The most important thing is lots of bandwidth, a good host, traffic is kind of easy. Use Adsense and Adbrite, the best 2 IMO.

z613, May 19, 2008 IP
  12. fortify

fortify Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I highly recommend the cpm program in my sig. $1.80 CPM Rate

fortify, May 20, 2008 IP
  13. Pal

Pal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here summer is coming
    Thanks for - rep :(

Pal, May 24, 2008 IP