1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any one tried Phpcow?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by icare, Jan 8, 2006.

1. kdemonte

kdemonte Peon

Best Answers:
    Why did you hate the cow so much? I love it still, I have been using it over a year now and couldn't be happier. Their script is so seo friendly, I am already out ranking most of my local news channels which was better then I expected, and that started only a few months after launch. I also love the numerous features and easy way you can integrate or build any type of widget to add into your template.

I admit though why they don't have it in a normal code instead of having o learn 'cow language' is beyond me! That alone can be overwhelming from the start. I do wonder about importing html templates, it claims it has this ability, but never tried it myself anyone here done that?
    This is the second time I've heard about this PHPCow 3.... anyone have a place the read this or was it just the rumor mill working? I do wish they had a few more/updated features.

kdemonte, May 11, 2008 IP
  2. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to add to this, because I've seen some very accurate stuff posted.

First, I was the one who was told DIRECTLY BYPHPCOW that PHPCOW 3 would be released by the end of the year 2007, then by the end of January 2008, then before Spring 2008, then finally by the end of Spring 2008......I was also told there would be a support forum up and running shortly......which never happened.

I worked with them to replace the current editor, which is terrible, with Cute Editor, which should fix a lot of the formatting issues we and evidently others have been seeing. I too don't like the "Encrypted" portion of PHPCOW....it causes lots of problems considering their awful customer service......their Knowledge Base", and "FAQ" offer a few tips and tricks, but the whole encryption mess not only slows down your site, but it makes it impossible to do any kind of customizations without relying on the PHPCOW staff (Good luck with that).

The staff is awful, they are rude, impatient, and unhelpful......there is no way to debate that (if this thread isn't enough, use Google). I also take issue with the fact they are sio far behind on upgrading PHPCOW, but are spending so much time and effort pimping their hosting program and new personal start page.

I'm 3 years and almost $500 into this, I think PHPCOW has huge possibilities, and with either unencrypted software or better support would be the best CMS software around........but as is, if I could migrate my site to a better, unencrypted application, I'd dump PHPCOW in a heartbeat

Hopefully this thread will motivate them to either fix PHPCOW and finish the upgrade to PHPCOW 3, or unencrypt the software. Here's hoping that the people in charge also see all the comments about the awful support and decide to do something about it.....but I have no faith in that....

I'm looking for a new CMS that is easy to use, is unencrypted (so i can use my own editor), allows unlimited articles with multiple pages. If PHPCOW isn't going to step up and keep their word, i need a better solution. Before you recommend Drupal or something like that, please consider i don't build websites for a living, and simply want something that will let me focus on content, yet not cripple my server/site like PHPCOW does.

Capper, May 15, 2008 IP
  3. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    Evidently, although I still recommend the program, I have been banned by PHPCOW:
    All I can say is wow..... I'd like to know if any other users have gotten the same treatment....the poor responses, rudeness, threats, etc......I think overall that I've been patient, and really pointed out some issues with their support (except for my post on this forum that someone edited, and did a poor job doing so).

We were promised a upgrade and support forums back by the end of the year....which never happened, and any inquiries about that since then have either gone unanswered or been answered rudely. Questions about the program running slow or freezing have gone unanswered.....tickets are just closed. As to the upgrades and fixes, it seems we've just been told what we wanted to hear and blown off.

I don't even know what to say anymore.....I've recommended the program while pointing out some obvious shortcomings....there is so much potential here that is being hamstrung by some people with extremely poor customer service skills. If you share you opinion, or are honest, you are attacking or abusing PHPCOW........and to think I just sent them two cusatomers.

Capper, May 17, 2008 IP
  4. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    The templates look nice, but it is easy to put together a nice looking template. The trick is to provide a good CMS application. From the looks of it, this company is just another one on the Internet that is looking to make a fast buck by displaying a lot of glitz but delivering gunk. For me, the only reliable vendors I have found so far in the lower end script arena are Wordpress, VBulletin, and PHPLD. The ubiquity of these products are a testimonial to these scripts to deliver and to maintain customer satisfaction within their user base.

Rich

richrf, May 17, 2008 IP
  5. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    Rich, I understand and agree with your generalization about internet companies.

PHPCOW has a lot of really nice features, but those are overshadowed by the lack of communication, which creates big issues. First, outside of a VERY SMALL FAQ and IDEAS page, there is no way to know how to really customize the program to fit your needs or to take advantage of all the features......their answer has always been cryptic stuff like "hard for beginner, easy for expert"....which doesn't help at all, and in fact leads to frustration.

On the positive side, template editing is extremely easy, SEO works well, and basic functions are fine. There are a lot of nice little features that make it an attractive option

On the negative side, don't dare question them or criticize them....they'll cut you off, threaten to delete your site, not answer questions, etc. On top of that we've had people lose hours of work because the program decides occasionally that it doesn't want to save. We've had the program lock up and become totally unresponsive, we've had stuff just disappear......and like I said, ask them a question and its like a 50/50 chance you'll get a reply....which most of the time won't address your problem, or more often than not be extremely rude. Another issue is the encryption, which I'm sure increases server load, but also keeps you from fixing bugs and doing things like integrating a different wizzywig editor (they use the terrible Devedit Editor, and have many of the features turned off at that).

Honestly, it could be such a fantastic program.......especially run by people that care. I know I'm far from the only one who has had issues with them, look through this thread and you'll learn a lot, then google PHPCOW and see what others are saying.....you have a few of the typical "questionable" supportive comments (They are the greatest, its the best), and you have a lot more of the type of comments you see here.......althopugh my only real criticism is the support and unfulfilled promises of a better editor (PHPCOW staff even admits the editor sucks)and fast/less server intensive program.

If you know of a good CMS that allows you to implement your own editor, and which would work for a site that published multi page articles over a variety of categories, please let me know.

Capper, May 17, 2008 IP
  6. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    We're now eight full pages into this thread about PHPCOW. Most of it negative, which is unfortunate. PHPCOW has a lot going for it, and could very easily be the best CMS around......

I want to kind of consolidate things:

PHPCOW has some very good features.

1. Where other applications have poor template implementation, PHPCOW makes it extremely simple, allowing you to use either one of their pre-built templates, or use the wizzywig editor to create your own customized templates.

2. Although there are some bugs, features like RSS/ATOM feeds and block management (how your articles are displayed) make managing a site fairly simple and straightforward.

3. Although it isn't listed or linked on their site, they evidently now have a support forum called PHPCOW HELP.....which will hopefully cut down on problems with their staff.

With the good comes the bad:

1. The root of all the evils is the wizzywig editor (which even PHPCOW has said is awful). We hooked them up with Cute Editor, which is by far the best editor I've ever seen, so hopefully PHPCOW 3 will be a much better program.

2. PHPCOW is a resource heavy application. We've used a variety of servers and had problems regardless of how much we invest. We've been told by PHPCOW that our server is the problem, but they refuse to help optimize it, or to publish fixes or recommendations on their site....instead they want you to buy into their small overpriced servers. We've lost countless articles, and hundreds of hours of work because the program decided to not save work, freeze up, etc.

3. Judging by this thread, and several independent threads across various forums, the support is very bad.
    I've been as vocal as anyone about this. I think part of this is a language barrier, as they are based in Spain. However, as a business, they really need to improve how they treat customers/potential customers. With a program this involved, which has so little documentation about its features.....but uses encrypted software, they need to understand people are going to need help and guidance.....but they have little time or patience for people that need help.

Looking around, I'd say that we are one of the few people around who have anything positive to say about PHPCOW......regardless of the issues, we still recommend it based on its price, features, and ease of use.

I'm honestly hoping they come to their senses on this banning us and ignoring our emails. We've invested way too much time, effort, and money into PHPCOW to be treated the way we have, and for them to deny us any patches, fixes, support tickets, or updates to a program we purchased is unacceptable....

I have some more to add, but am going to give them a chance to respond to my emails before I post it.

Capper, May 18, 2008 IP
  7. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I haven't come across anything I can recommend. If you want to work with a "framework" CMS, you might want to take a look at MODx, but it is too unstable at this point for me to recommend. It is a tough choice sometimes, but I think that either you have to relax or requirements or find the resources to build your own to your own requirements. I think that PHPCOW sounds far to risky, and a source of ongoing headaches, uncertainties, and costs. A development team that is out of touch with its customers, is something to be avoided at all costs. I personally do not want to deal with those kind of issues.

Rich

richrf, May 19, 2008 IP
  8. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to recommend a site to those of you using, or considering PHPCOW.....its called PHPCOW Help, a support forum founded by some PHPCOW users, its a good place to give and get help, as well as exchange ideas.

Capper, May 23, 2008 IP
  9. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    Yet another update....

It was brought up in another thread here how suspicious the PHPCOW endorsements were....and for good reason...they all look the same, say the same thing, etc......but lets take this a bit further.

I've noticed that up until recently, when you Googled "PHPCOW", that you got the customary link to the site, and then a bunch of negative links from people who have had problems......but recently I've noticed that the first 4-5 pages of Google search results all go to PHPCOW pages......so basically they are trying to bury the negative postings of disgruntled customers (of which there are more than a few).

Next up....I think my assesment is straight up and extremely accurate....I've pointed out the good and the bad, and really didn't think much of it, because no program is perfect.........but then i was banned from their support and upgrades because of my posting here, and have been threatened with having my site deleted.

Look back over this thread, and you'll see a couple of people being particularly confrontational toward anyone posting anything negative....Ultraduo and HyTC.......not that HyTC has any credibility to begin with. I've recently been recommending people to, and helping at PHPCOW Help, a nice forum started independently by another PHPCOW user.......soon after I started there.....a person posting as "phpcowfreaks" showed up, bashing me and spamming those forums with his garbage....It was obvious from the start that it was HyTC, a fact this creep denied from the start.....but this guy isn't even smart enough to change little things that give him away......

Anyway, before you spend youer money on PHPCOW, which does have promise, and which I am still using.......consider how we have been treated, and make sure you do your homework....it could end up costing you a lot more than $100 in the end.

A PM I just got from HyTC/phpcowfreaks

you can guess what the * is

Capper, May 28, 2008 IP
  10. saran

saran Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried PHPCow and found it is better one. I found no problem.

I have used vivvo too and highly satisfied with it

saran, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  11. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    How your site is performing in SEO by using VIVVO ?

Suri.CMS, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  12. HyTC

HyTC Peon

Best Answers:
    Every product/service would have both happy and unhappy users. It a natural part of running any business be it PHPCow or now defunct ENRONS/worldcoms etc. Question is how many are there in each class. If majority are in "Unhappy Class" then the business needs to rethink.

Best CMS i guess for all unhappy users (for all PAID CMS's including PHPCow) would be http://www.opencms.org/en/ it's completely free and enterprise class. However, the moment you start looking for support with limited or no budget then i am sure 99% of you would be unhappy.

V3 i am sure would make many more buyers unhappy if it introduces complexities. Have anyone of you checked another popular CMS http://www.bitrixsoft.com/

HyTC, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  13. HyTC

HyTC Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess if there are any issues about PHPCow being resource intensive, the best option would be to take a managed dedicated machine with them and see if all problems faced elsewhere are experienced there also. Yes if they themselves cannot run their script on a dedicated machine then definitely they have issues about script being resource intensive.

Throwing more HW to the script is not the only alternative. Yes it can be unavoidable if traffic is huge. I am not sure if PHPCow would ever do server optimizations for servers elsewhere.

HyTC, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  14. HyTC

HyTC Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually only google has control over google SERP's. When link get buried it's Google and no one else. The only reasonwhy links are getting burried deep (which were visible earlier) is now PHPCow site has a PR of 7 which is no joke really. PR7 is almost a heavy weight.

HyTC, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  15. HyTC

HyTC Peon

Best Answers:
    HyTC, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  16. SuperSub

SuperSub Peon

Best Answers:
    lol they banned me too. I found a flaw in their TOS which allowed you to run a license on any site <--- i took video proof of this, I then wanted my license changed to a different site, they quickly added it to their TOS that this was prohibited and then banned me! WTF !?!?

PHPCow sucks horribly, they will ban you and then you wont be able to use their software, worst company ever.

SuperSub, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  17. cmstester

cmstester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use Vivvo not phpcow. the support they provide is horrendous

cmstester, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  18. HyTC

HyTC Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been told they do ban when people get "abusive" or "start cursing" and using language that doesn't befit any formal support communications. From our experience of 8 years in this industry we know there are clients who have too big ideas with too little or no budget to match it and then in the end they create all sorts of issues.

As for choice of CMS, use free one's and then either start living on edge for issues or pay professionals to do the task for you.

Honestly PHPCow should stop selling $100 script as this segment generates too much of issues. They should hike their price.

HyTC, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  19. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Just want to know if Vivvo support is good.
    Also if you have any idea if Vivvo is good in SEO.

Suri.CMS, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  20. magpie2419

magpie2419 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just use Pligg It has great support and is free has a lot of add on stuff and is great for news sites.
    I was thinking of trying PHPcow Myweb but I think I will give it a miss after reading these comments about support, I submitted a pre sales ticket 12 hours ago no reply yet.

magpie2419, Aug 20, 2008 IP