1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz BUG?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by shutzu, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    shutzu, May 14, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    The "subcategory" for Disabilities is what is called an @link, and instead of being an actual subcategory of http://www.dmoz.org/Health/ , it points to a category in another part of the directory. So all the sites relating to disabilities are listed under http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Disabled/ , but because people might also look for them under Health, an @link is placed there to show the true location.

You can see many other examples of this throughout the directory, to help people find their way around. :)

makrhod, May 14, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think the OP was referring to there being rather distinct differences between disabilities and disabled. The @link says one and points to another. While I do not think it's a bug, it's certainly a typo of sorts and could likely be cleared up should an editor happen to have the time.

I think one of the best solutions could possibly be to point to both health/disabilities, and society/disabled as both do seem to apply (though IMHO, health/disabilities does make more sense, then sites about the disabled).

Qryztufre, May 14, 2008 IP
  4. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand what you are saying, but sites about specific disabilities are already listed in the appropriate subcategories of http://www.dmoz.org/Health/Conditions_and_Diseases/ . http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Disabled/ is for sites about living with disabilties in general, and the issues surrounding them.

You are right that the @link could be called "Disabled", but the current name would have been decided by editors familiar with the categories involved, so I doubt very much that it is a typo.
    However, if anyone feels that it is indeed a mistake, or if they want to stimulate internal discussion about it, I suggest posting an explanation in the public ODP forum where more volunteers are likely to see it. :)

makrhod, May 14, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Many non-editors are treated like trash there so even logging in is often not worth it. Especially when there is a place like here where only a small group don't get along with each other. Besides, that is not the official anything within DMOZ as stated by many-a-editor here.

However, it would be FANTASTIC if DMOZ ever started their own forum for discussion. It could really help things along in the way of communication. As it stands, that is not under the dmoz.org domain flag, and until it is, there will be too many turned off by it.

I personally used to link to it often, but there has simply been FAR too many times where I was told that was not an official site, so now I'm on the other side of the fence telling people it's not official *shrug*

Qryztufre, May 14, 2008 IP
  6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    You are correct that it is not an official forum, but it is visited by many more editors than this one, so apart from using the Update Request feature (which would not apply in this case), it is still the best way of asking about changes to the directory.
    I am confident that a polite question such as this would always be treated in a similarly respectful fashion, even though the final decision does rest with volunteers within the directory.

This is an entirely different thing from people repeatedly ignoring the FAQ to ask for status checks on their own site. ;)

makrhod, May 14, 2008 IP
  7. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    When you comin back, makrhod, we miss you, ;). Or do you want to come play WoW with me?

crowbar, May 15, 2008 IP
  8. locjan

locjan Peon

Best Answers:
    i was think you want give us a tips, :D
    did anyone know how easy to get listed on Dmoz?

locjan, May 15, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    They say the most important thing is unique content, but don't worry about following the guidelines, those are shaky!

You could become an editor, though, you may wish to brush up on the English a bit first....

You could pay, though that runs the risk of getting caught and getting your site banned from being listed again.

Qryztufre, May 16, 2008 IP
  10. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    The most important thing is unique content. I suggests following the guidelines too.

shadow575, May 16, 2008 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.