1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Use of the Harley davidson logo?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by journeyoftheanimals, May 12, 2008.

I am working on designing some reptile harnesses for reptiles such as bearded dragons, monitors, iguanas and more. The design includes a piece of leather across the back and I am working on coming up with some embellishments. I was thinking about picking up some small Harley Davidson logo iron ons. Would this be a violition of their copyright?

What if I include a notice when I send them out that Harley Davidson logo is a trademark of Harley Davidson?

journeyoftheanimals, May 12, 2008 IP
  2. MJGB

MJGB Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are not earning money off of the Harley Davidson logo, then you may be able to use their logo. The safest possible option is to contact them explaining the situation.

MJGB, May 12, 2008 IP
  3. GundamVSTransformers.Com

GundamVSTransformers.Com Banned

Best Answers:
    I honestly do not think the guys over at HD would give two $h!ts if you put there logo on your product. At the very least this is free advertising and brand recognition for them.

But to be on the safe side you might want to contact them.

4. journeyoftheanimals

journeyoftheanimals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far as making money, I would be selling these harnesses so I guess I would be making money. I guess I contact Harley Davidson.

Edit to add
    Contacted them. Was pretty easy. I hope I do not have to pay like a huge amount of money or something.

5. journeyoftheanimals

Best Answers:
    Got a very fast reply from them and the reply is as follows.

JEET likes this.
  6. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Licensing of trademarks is a billion dollar business. The response you received would be fairly normal. If you were going to mass produce the items, you could probably cut a deal with them - but I would image it would be in the tens of thousands of dollars at a minimum.

mjewel, May 14, 2008 IP
  7. journeyoftheanimals

Best Answers:
    OK this might sound really stupid but I had a thought. What if I made a harness. Included a "free" Harley Davidson" logo iron on? Pay for the harness and receive a free logo, that comes with instructions on how to iron it onto something. I know why are really stretching the laws here. Heck I am sure I could go ahead and sell the harnesses under the counter with the logo ironed on and never be caught. However I would like to sell these on my website and perhaps shot at e-bay so I have to be careful.

journeyoftheanimals, May 14, 2008 IP
  8. glasglow

glasglow Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you had a friend who was a lawyer, and the lawyer contacted them formally, you would be more likely to get a positive response however you may have to pay royalty fees. You got the answer the secretary is told to send out when they get an email from some guy.

glasglow, May 15, 2008 IP
  9. Seaji

Seaji Banned

Best Answers:
    just use similar colors & such - don't use the exact design

Seaji, May 15, 2008 IP
  10. jingCo

jingCo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure they won't let you use it even if you are a lawyer or even God. They make big bucks on licensing so they won't give it away.

jingCo, May 16, 2008 IP
  11. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nope...you can't get around the law that way. You are still getting a commercial gain and you are certainly not authorized to mass produce and distribute something that's not yours.

RectangleMan, May 18, 2008 IP
    JEET likes this.
  12. aurorazero

aurorazero Active Member

Best Answers:
    Listen dude Harley said no so the answer is no. They own the trademark if you use it they will sue the shit of you. Stop trying to think up ways around it and make better use of your time. make your own logo for instance or pay some one to make one.

This road you are trying to go down will end up biting you in the ass.

aurorazero, Apr 1, 2022 IP
    JEET likes this.
  13. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Seeing as this thread is 14 years old I doubt that anyone will be biting him anywhere, as by now they may be so old that they no longer have any teeth left.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 14, 2022 IP
    JEET, mmerlinn and jrbiz like this.
  14. Ashik2022

Ashik2022 Peon

Best Answers:
    Legal Advice

Ashik2022, Nov 8, 2022 IP
  15. kelso22

kelso22 Peon

Best Answers:
    You may not frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose, or deep linking to, any name, trademarks, service marks, logo, Content or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or form) of Harley-Davidson or one of its affiliates without our express written consent.

kelso22, Dec 8, 2022 IP
  16. DaEmma

DaEmma Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Using the Harley Davidson logo on your reptile harnesses without their permission could get you into trouble because it's protected by copyright and trademark laws. Even if you mention that it's their trademark, it doesn't give you the right to use it without authorization.

To avoid legal problems, you should get permission from Harley Davidson to use their logo on your products. This might involve contacting them and asking if they have a program that allows you to use their logo in exchange for payment or meeting certain conditions. If you're unsure about what to do, it's best to consult with a lawyer who knows about these things to guide you properly.

DaEmma, Jul 25, 2023 IP