1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why would someone want to become a DMOZ editor?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by tonyc, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that speculations come from the fact that DMOZ is practically useful for one think - Google loves it. There is some traffic coming from it but the ranking benefit is much more precious. So the editors are not contributing to the society but to webmasters by ranking good websites. At least that's my oppinion.

tonyc, May 13, 2008 IP
  2. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your welcome, I do try. :D

The purpose of the DMOZ directory is to catalog and organize useful links. One of the ways we can achieve that is by allowing the public to submit suggestions of sites that might help us do so. Since we are not in the service of listing sites on demand, the directory editors can utilize any resources they choose to in order to build the categories. The suggestion that the public submissions be processed on a first in, first out basis and that editors are not allowed to find and add sites of their own accord, via other resources would change the dynamics of this directory. Thats not saying there isn't a place on the net for that type of setup, its just not the way DMOZ is setup.

I didn't get the impression that, that was his reason for resigning. Course only he can say for sure, in fact I was pretty sure he stated his reasons on here somewhere but time doesn't permit me to search for it.

Thanks for the warning, I never mind discussing things with anyone. I seem to do a good enough job on my own, stepping into the line of fire over directory policies.

I have investigated a fair share of abuse allegations during my short time as Catmod and now Meta. Most of the allegations are not abuse. On the other hand, I have had the unfortunate instances of finding abusers on my own and having to investigate and in some cases call for removal of editors. Abuse exists, just not always where it appears too. And in some very unfortunate cases, it exists in the most unlikely places.

shadow575, May 13, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  3. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    The fact is there are loads of sites listed in DMOZ that rank very poorly in Google and there are many, many sites that rank very high in Google but are not listable in DMOZ. DMOZ is still considered a quality link, but no one that I am aware of considers it any more important than any other quality link. Google doesn't love it IMO, they just use it along with all their other tools to provide their service to their users.

shadow575, May 13, 2008 IP
  4. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    Have to agree. People who say "Google loves dmoz" are stuck in 1998.

winifred gray, May 13, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    "to catalog and organize useful links"- translation: to list links.

"The suggestion that the public submissions be processed on a first in, first out basis and that editors are not allowed to find and add sites of their own accord, via other resources would change the dynamics of this directory."- who suggested this? They still work exactly as now but when they push the button, it will added to queue of sites waiting for approval instead of being approved. Don't tell me that editors will lose all of their interest in their "hobby" for such a small difference?
    As you can see, I am not changing the dynamic of anything with exception of the dynamic of a system that is corrupt. ;)

gworld, May 13, 2008 IP
  6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not dream of speaking for several thousand other people without their input, and in any case it is usually best to limit authoritative pronouncements to subjects where when one has some actual experience. ;)
    But I do claim the right to speak for myself, based on my own extensive experience in the directory, including accepting hundreds of new editors, and working closely with them and with many hundreds of others on a personal basis.

So I can confidently say that volunteer editors enjoy the wide range of useful activities on offer in ODP, and reviewing external suggestions is usually well down that list of priorities. Making it a compulsory activity, or in any way reducing the editors' autonomy regarding how they choose to build and improve the directory, would be counter-productive.

makrhod, May 13, 2008 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Those who don't like review suggestions, they can do as they always do but it will be added to queue for approval. You must be kidding me talking about autonomy and DMOZ in the same sentence, 99% of editors can not do anything, except to make the number of editors in DMOZ stats look good and most editors will get tired and quit after couple of times asking for permission to edit in new categories and be denied.

gworld, May 13, 2008 IP
  8. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry you think I am misleading you, but I'm afraid those "statistics" are imaginary. :)
    Perhaps I need to explain in more detail.

Once accepted as an editor, every volunteer can choose from many activities such as
    • adding new sites
    • checking existing links
    • reading editor resources
    • improving listed descriptions
    • joining group projects
    • forum participation
    • exchanging feedback with fellow editors
    • handling Update Requests
    • finding replacement URLs
    • planning/proposing improvements
    • building new categories
    • ... and reviewing external suggestions.
    After gaining some experience (this may be in as little time as a week or less), the editor is actively encouraged to apply for wider permissions. There is extensive advice on submitting a successful application, and provided the editor has shown a willingness to understand and apply the editing guidelines, the application is approved.

So it is not at all difficult to get permission to edit in more and more areas, and applications are approved every single day. I speak from personal experience as both an enthusiastic applicant with my fair share of rejections (always with good reason) and, later, as very active reviewer. :)

makrhod, May 13, 2008 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Next time I visit the directory in La La land, I make sure to have your description with me but just now we are discussing DMOZ. :rolleyes::D

How is removal of approval possibility, going to effect any of those activities that you mentioned? Let's not kid ourselves, you are finding all the excuses in the world, because in the end, the "volunteer" work is all about the approval button and nothing else. ;)

gworld, May 13, 2008 IP
  10. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    Mak, please dont "Cast not pearls before swine". AFAIK gworld is removed meta, so its obvious that he knows what you are talking about. But he prefers to be a troll here, not to help others to understand the way ODP works.

budalata, May 14, 2008 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you are right, but pointing out the issue keeps it fresh in the minds of editors rather then just brushing it under the rug. However, as Skrenta is an admin, I'm pretty sure that he has access, and likely a major hand in HIS sites being added. He is still an editor, still logs in, and has more self interest sites listed then all the other editors combined. Any other editor would have been fired looooooong ago for such mass listings....

Just trying to call fairness.

If I am not mistaken, they were even worse pages back then, being due to the fact their robot poster was not perfected until after the listings took place. If those pages were listed when they made it into the directory, then that says HORRIBLE things about the directory's quality overall.

Qryztufre, May 14, 2008 IP
  12. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the caution, budalata, but I am under no delusions about educating any of the regulars here. ;)

In fact my post was for all the non-regulars who might read this thread because of its title, and as you (and undoubtedly gworld) know, everything I have said here is true, accurate and easily verifiable from public sources. :)

makrhod, May 14, 2008 IP
    nebuchadrezzar likes this.
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think no reader regulars or non-regulars is fool enough not see how you avoid any discussion about the abuse and how to stop it and instead would like to find all the excuses, just to hang to your precious approve button. :D

gworld, May 14, 2008 IP
  14. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL in several of my very small number of posts I have already discussed abuse, and I can no longer even reach the "approve button", let alone hang onto it. ;)
    This thread has a question in the title which I was answering honestly, that's all. :)

makrhod, May 14, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.