1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Clever Directory - Tight Niche - Directories Are Not Dead

Discussion in 'Directories' started by YMC, May 6, 2008.

1. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had considered that before posting. This site appears to be well established and known in it's field. I agree with Mikey's pun - anyone else's would just be a load of crap and a cheap copy.

YMC, May 7, 2008 IP
  2. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This directory is quiet old as well. I know I saw it about a year or so ago and I found it interesting ...

smub, May 8, 2008 IP
  3. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I would have agreed with that if it had a real significant amount of content but it doesn't so it would not be hard with someone with plenty of money in the pocket and the desire to do so to take complete advantage of the situation. As much as I'm a hypocrite in this because I did force the hand of Event_King to reveal one of his directories I could understand why he didn't want to.

Cheap copy or not YMC it would still potentially take custom away from what was up until now a totally captive audience. Customers won't think it a cheap copy, only people here.

Sorry this sounds negative but I'm banking on you and Mikey to understand where I'm coming from on this. :)

JamieG, May 8, 2008 IP
  4. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You are being negative Jamie, but you are totally right so its no problem.

As people like template owners, mod developers and script developers will know, sheep are the worst problem some of them face. People that steal ideas and copy what you're doing is such a pain these days. I too have been the victim and have also been a criminal in some cases.

A unique concept like this - a very tight niche idea that would dominate its field can easily be copied. I see no problem with YMC posting the URL but it could leave them open to more competition...

mikey1090, May 8, 2008 IP
  5. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For some reason I just don't think many people will be searching the internet for someone to clean their dog poo...

pctec, May 8, 2008 IP
  6. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I might be being negative on this point Mike, but its for the right reason. I thought it was a great concept, I was the first to point that out. I was also the first to pick up on the fact some QBC nutter will no doubt troll this forum and latch on to the idea and do exactly what I fear.

I hope it doesn't happen.

JamieG, May 8, 2008 IP
  7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jamie if everyone was always afraid of someone stealing their ideas, they would never put them out to the public in the first place. As a society no one would ever get anywhere following that mentality.

Also, don't you think that by bringing this up and slightly harping on the prospect you have made it something of a challenge and more irresistible for someone so inclined to steal rather than innovate? You are as much as telling the cretins that they should try.

YMC, May 8, 2008 IP
  8. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    What are you on about 'harping', I've mentioned it twice, that's hardly 'harping', you really do have issues. :rolleyes:

JamieG, May 8, 2008 IP
  9. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What you mean?

werewe12, May 9, 2008 IP
  10. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it was a pun. (as in 'no pun intended')

Niche directories are like any site on this web, they will only work, if the person behind them knows how to make them work -precisely. Usually one man shows don't work, as many more resources are involved in triggering the initial interest and keeping the momentum going for long enough to get noticed.

Even something niche has to be the right niche, it's so easy to get it wrong.

I'm sure I could put up template site today, and make a few £1000 a year, but I ain't going to be able to retire on it.

Event_King, May 9, 2008 IP
  11. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Thanks for the explanation, but I will wait for DownUnder to explain his statement. My comment was intended as a joke. I have no intention in starting a PooPoo directory.

werewe12, May 9, 2008 IP
  12. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes buddy, chill pill, it was a pun / joke in my dry aussie way, a load of dog poo to be exact, i do find a site dedicated to dog poo a little strange but then again the web is strange.

with a big doberman myself i am constantly stepping in the stuff, so if you can send one of those pooper scoopers down under that would be great.

DownUnder, May 9, 2008 IP
  13. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Event_King, May 9, 2008 IP