1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which CMS for massive content?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Ruriko, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla has a lot of addons, but IMO, the majority of them really suck...or are poorly coded....not to mention, I was fed up with restoring sites because hackers keep targeting them, even with updated versions.

Pixelrage, May 8, 2008 IP
  2. spdev

spdev Peon

Best Answers:
    ive used wordpress for large traffic sites without issue since ive been with http://mosso.com i used to host on godaddy and then webfusion both of which on shared hosting would crumble.

Try out http://mosso.com and hey even use my promo code REF-IBOX to get 20% off ur first month. Oh n the CP on mosso is great

spdev, May 11, 2008 IP
  3. nks

nks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ditto.... (completely agree)

nks, May 11, 2008 IP
  4. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:

One problem with these off-the-shelf software id that easily get attacked by hackers...and people who make them don't respond in a timely manner and take real measures..or not respond at all.

mg1313, May 11, 2008 IP
  5. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    Other companies which are using this type of hosting are:
    - www.mediatemple.com ($25/month - where famous blogs are hosted: Techcrunch, Venturebeat, Mashable)
    - www.joyent.com ($45/month - where Twitter was hosted not long time ago)
    - Amazon services http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=3435361 which include cloud computing (which can be used with S3 storage service and/or SimpleDB database service). The model is pay-as-you-use ($0.15cents/GB traffic and there may be other fees).

Mosso fees of $100/month seem high in comparison with the others...but Mosso is a service of Rackspace hosting and they are known for not being cheap...

mg1313, May 11, 2008 IP
  6. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this hosting only for blogs or also for all kinds of websites ?

Suri.CMS, May 12, 2008 IP
  7. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's for all kind of websites...those famous blogs are hosted there because they can handle the spikes in traffic those blogs may get...

mg1313, May 12, 2008 IP
  8. me4you

me4you Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla can work for you, it will work without any problem.

me4you, May 12, 2008 IP
  9. magdalene2008

magdalene2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    With all due respect, anything that is coded can be hacked. Doesn't matter if it's Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla or the soda vending machine. :eek:

magdalene2008, May 12, 2008 IP
  10. lagahit

lagahit Active Member

Best Answers:
    id go for joomla .. although xoops is quite tempting also..

lagahit, May 12, 2008 IP
  11. bragn

bragn Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess this is the best you can do if you want to stay on a shared hosting. Unless Drupal or Joomla also have similar plugins, turning dynamic pages into static.
    I suppose that actually any of these CMS are good, provided that you use a service like the already mentioned medialayer or mosso.

bragn, May 13, 2008 IP
  12. dylanj

dylanj Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla sucks

dylanj, May 13, 2008 IP
  13. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    Life sucks too :)...but if you say WHY Joomla sucks (the reasons) they we may understand why you don't like it...

mg1313, May 13, 2008 IP
  14. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with mg1313 - anything with the word "sucks" that doesn't have backup explanations is likely to be ignored. ;)

I also agree with magdelene2008. ANYTHING - and I do mean ANYTHING - that has code can be hacked. A lot of factors play into you becoming a target, not the least of which is popularity of your CMS of choice. Also, the knowledge and skill of your web host comes into play here.

That said, you may want to take a look at The CMS Matrix. Here, several CMS are compared side-by-side so you can get an idea of each one's strengths and weaknesses. That, along with a firm understanding of your immediate and long-range site goals, could really help you make an informed decision.

Every CMS, every single one, has its plusses and minuses. The question is, which one has the best return on investment (of your time, resources, etc.) for your site? Get informed, make a decision, and reassess later on if you need to. Just because you start with one doesn't mean you have to stay with it forever.

Bratzilla, May 13, 2008 IP
  15. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very true!

mg1313, May 13, 2008 IP
  16. Solid_Nuts

Solid_Nuts Active Member

Best Answers:
    i would recommend drupal, its a more robust platform and very felxibel when you know how to use it. many major sites use drupal. i don't know of any big sites running on joomla

Solid_Nuts, May 13, 2008 IP
  17. dylanj

dylanj Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol, yeah... I was gonna write a whole paragraph, but I realised that I had a job to do, so I deleted everything and just wrote "Joomla sucks" :)

Of course, I do have reasons for my statement. Here they are:
    Pros:
    • Quick and easy to set up
    • Default skins look good
    • Well thought-out back-end
    Cons:
    • It's said that it's the easy PHP CMS to use, but really, it's not really very user-friendly. I still can't figure out how to get the top menu bar to show anything, and I still don't know how to add pages. If it's easy to use, I should have been able to do it by now :mad:. Just by the way, I got two other people to try also, and neither of them could make a page or add a menu item. They're both good with software and hardware.
    • It's a little "resource-intensive".
    • Some of the back-end interface is a little annoying, and not so well thought-out.
    • The back-end just isn't very intuitive.
    Those are pretty much all of my reasons for disliking Joomla. I'm sure it's a great CMS once you get the hang of it, but you'd think that if it was that easy to use, then I would have been able to add a page by now...

dylanj, May 13, 2008 IP
  18. magdalene2008

magdalene2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Aha.. meaning to say that it's good but learning curve is high.

I have to agree but not to the "how to get the top menu bar to show anything", as I love to read lots of stuff even before I install Joomla (or bake any weird cakes). But yeah, I managed to get things going on with no problem now (except for that stupid mistake I made few weeks ago...rawr..)

magdalene2008, May 14, 2008 IP
  19. Ruriko

Ruriko Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You know I don't care much about how it has lots of features. All I care is about the performance of the CMS

Ruriko, May 14, 2008 IP