1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WordBay WordPress plugin - FREE! Create eBay listings quickly and easily.

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by markowe, Apr 21, 2008.

1. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback guys, just to let you know I have released a new version of WordBay (download here) which fixes this major bug. I know there are a few other questions out there about certain quirks - I will get onto them ASAP, but this was an important bug to fix. Keep letting me know how you are getting on!

STOP PRESS: another bug discovered - WordBay seems to be leaving a DIV tag or something open, thus screwing up the styling on the rest of the page. Firefox tends to trap this, but it messes up the styling of sidebars and stuff in IE, so will get working on a fix asap.

P.S. OK, yes, have found a few places where I have been careless with HTML tags and that's why it's messing up the rest of the template sometimes. Will have to pick through them and will try to get this fixed in the next day or two.

markowe, May 6, 2008 IP
  2. janetra

janetra Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the quick work Mark. I'll be trying out the fix as soon as I get home from work. I also had problems with the text being enormous in IE. I temporarily fixed it by changing two h4 tag in WordBay.php to h2.

janetra, May 6, 2008 IP
  3. markowe

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think I haven't closed an H2 tag somewhere - I ran it through an html validator and got all sorts of goodies thrown up so gotta check them out one at a time now! :)

This all started as a programming exercise rather than a design one, so the layout got a bit neglected. That's the next job, barring any other major bugs.

markowe, May 6, 2008 IP
  4. synchronize

synchronize Peon

Best Answers:
    Good stuff mark! Tested out the updated version and everything seems to be working pretty smoothly. I noticed the sidebar/fonts bug though, but i'm sure it's an easy fix.

Will report back if i find any other issues.

synchronize, May 6, 2008 IP
  5. markowe

Best Answers:
    Hi guys - I have tracked down the fonts bug (took around 3 seconds!) and have posted a quick fix, if you can't wait for the next BETA version.

Right now I am working on some other issues, including the currency display one and some other quirks relating to geography and when (he said optimistically) they are fixed I will put out a new version.

markowe, May 7, 2008 IP
  6. markowe

Best Answers:
    I am pleased to report there is a new version of WordBay (0.6BETA) on the downloads page. Thanks to user feedback I have eliminated a number of bugs (the font-breaking one and the currency display one) and expanded the functionality so that you can now select all eBay sites, including Australia, Sweden, US eBay Motors, etc. This latter was thanks to feedback from non-US and UK users, so thanks guys, you helped me clear up that "mystery" about the Site ID at the same time!

Happy testing, and please keep letting me know how you are getting on.

markowe, May 7, 2008 IP
  7. syowr

syowr Peon

Best Answers:
    Just tried out the 0.6 beta. Took me 30 mins to build a site from scratch and populate it. Its almost easier than BANS is.

:)

very nice work.

syowr, May 7, 2008 IP
  8. markowe

Best Answers:
    Thanks, that's great to hear - I am really not trying to compete with BANS because the latter is a complete commercial solution. wordBay is meant to be a quick, simple and, best of all, free solution which can run on an existing platform (WordPress). Besides, the BANS guys might send some heavies round with baseball bats if I muscle in on their territory :)

However, I will keep expanding the features as long as it makes sense to do so and is within the scope of my programming skills, why not...

markowe, May 7, 2008 IP
    syowr likes this.
  9. syowr

syowr Peon

Best Answers:
    I did say almost :D

I'd hate to hear that you had been in an accident with a baseball bat because of a misunderstanding.

syowr, May 7, 2008 IP
  10. markowe

Best Answers:
    Hi, just to let you know that there is a new version (0.8BETA) of the free WordBay WordPress eBay plugin (get it from the Downloads page). The main news is that support is now provided for the top-level eBay categories, so you can now list eBay Motors items properly, as well as Antiques, DVDs & Movies etc. so you can really start getting niche-tastic. You can select this from the admin panel.

Also fixed a couple of other bugs people pointed out, including the one where the time zone was locked to PDT - that's fixed now so hopefully WordBay is now fast approaching a production version. But I'm sure you're gonna find some more bugs, right?!

markowe, May 12, 2008 IP
  11. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks! Dude!!

gsv13, May 13, 2008 IP
  12. markowe

Best Answers:
    My pleasure! I am also glad to say users have reported their first sales using WordBay, so that's awesome! Of course, that's got more to do with their marketing and SEo abilities than WordBay itself, but it's still great to hear.

By the way, I have found a couple of little bugs in v0.8 which I have fixed and I will put out a new version in the next couple of days. But they are quite minor, so I am really hoping WordBay can get a full release soon.

markowe, May 13, 2008 IP
  13. sjs

sjs Peon

Best Answers:
    Mark, (or anyone that could help.)

When I click on one of the auction listings on my site it gives me a 404 error instead of redirecting to ebay. I have tried different themes, different sites, ect. I have a quickie site I threw up if seeing it in action will help. I have a link to it on the installing and configuring WordBay page of the Wordbay site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

sjs, May 13, 2008 IP
  14. markowe

Best Answers:
    Hey, really sorry I didn't see your comments on my page straight away or I would have got onto it sooner.

Strange, haven't seen that happening before. Your site seems to be down completely at the moment, but I will see if I can figure out what's going on and get back to you. Does sound like a server configuration problem at this stage, but let me see if I can figure out the problem. Will probably respond via the page you posted on, since it is a slightly specific problem.

markowe, May 14, 2008 IP
  15. markowe

Best Answers:
    NEW VERSION:

Just to let you know, there is a new version of WordBay 0.85BETA out now at the downloads page. It's looking quite stable now, so please try to break it, otherwise I may have to finally create a release candidate version! Then I can start working on some more features that people have requested.

This version fixes a bug displaying the "No items found" message at the wrong time and one not linking to eBay properly on the search results page (this is fairly critical, so you should update).

Just to remind you if you haven't been following things - WordBay is a FREE (impressions-sharing option included) WordPress plugin which allows you to list eBay products from the eBay Feed on your WordPress site, thereby quickly and easily creating a niche site for next to no investment! Happy earning!

markowe, May 14, 2008 IP
  16. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    looking for feedbacks for new version..
    what i need to put the ad in a new post ?

MeetHere, May 14, 2008 IP
  17. markowe

Best Answers:
    Hi,

It's the same as in a page. You just put the tags:

[wordbay]rubber ducks[/wordbay]

in your post text wherever you want, and it will insert the listing for you.

By the way, one thing on my own wishlist is some kind of way of inserting just ONE ad in a post, so you can insert little ad units in your posts wherever you want. That's for the future though... Remember, this plugin is primarily aimed at creating niche sites or adding product pages to existing blogs.

markowe, May 14, 2008 IP
  18. Scilynt

Scilynt Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds great.

Are you able to "cloak" the ebay links so they don't appear to be affiliate links to the search engines? Something like phpbay does?

I'll give it a try and see what else would help but regardless, looks like you have done a great job, especially for a free plugin. So thanks for that! ;)

Scilynt, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  19. markowe

Best Answers:
    Hi, yes, the links are "cloaked" - nothing spectacular - bit of base64 encoding, plus substitution of the "rover" and "ebay" terms in the link.

Good luck, give it a try and let me know how you get on. this is quite an old thread now, so the plugin now is officially listed as a WordPress plugin and has more features since this was posted.

markowe, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  20. eCommMax

eCommMax Active Member

Best Answers:
    The plugin looks great but... does it comply with EPN policies since links are cloaked?

Thanks

eCommMax, Jun 12, 2008 IP