1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any one tried Phpcow?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by icare, Jan 8, 2006.

1. cmstom

cmstom Peon

Best Answers:
    bsdpowa, well those comments are made by hardwarelogic.com which is succesfully using PHPCow currently and can be confirmed with them.

cmstom, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  2. Unkn0wnPlayer

Unkn0wnPlayer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I must say that the new skins (CNN Reloaded in particular) look impressive.

Unkn0wnPlayer, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  3. bsdpowa

bsdpowa Banned

Best Answers:
    If anyone wants to purchase a phpCow please PM me so we can share costs because they have a discount price right now, 100$ for two domains. I only need one so if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

bsdpowa, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  4. SuperSub

SuperSub Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes hardwarelogic made those comments, i on the other hand am another unhappy phpCow customer. Read their TOC, whatever happens you don't get your money back, you cannot add mods to your admin panel and you cannot transfer your license to another site, your license is locked for the site you register with forever.

I would try a different CMS if i we're you, one that allows more customisation, you're limited with what you can do with phpCow.

They don't even have a forum for users, because they know so many people complain.

Here's some user reviews:

http://www.webscriptsdirectory.com/cgi-bin/review.cgi?ID=2017

Couple more

http://www.needscripts.com/Resource/37618.html

Trust the users who have paid and wasted their money, rather than the guys who run it - because they will give you any old bull sh!t to sell their product and you will 99.9% never get your money back.

Enjoy,

SuperSub, Dec 23, 2007 IP
  5. gigaenvy

gigaenvy Peon

Best Answers:
    As cryptic as Phpcow code.

My thoughts after reading this thread and deciding on a CMS, News, article script is to try out a nulled version of Phpcow. Then dezend the thing and customize it how I want.

In the real world, you custom code your own solution using Drupal. Better yet, you use a rapid development framework such as Ror, Django, or Cake (if you're a noobie).

gigaenvy, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  6. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did anyone mention Drupal in this thread ? Nuff said

Get Drupal

Spend your $100 on customizations.

marcel, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  7. HyTC

HyTC Peon

Best Answers:
    SuperSub :
    7 negatives in 4 years on those two sites. Not a bad going indeed if their script is as horrible as it is noted on the sites noted.

gigaenvy :
    Why waste time on doing something which is illegal? Best would be to find a security hole and expose on secunia.com

Cheers
    HyTC

HyTC, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  8. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    Haven't been by in awhile, so I thought I'd update things.

We tried 3-4 alternatives, and invested in Vivvo.......bad idea, seriously. We did in fact go back to using PHPCOW, and I would never recommend Vivvo to anyone.

I think a fact lost on some of these people who put out these programs is that 99% of their customers are people who don't want to spend endless hours tinkering with HTML, they are people who are more concerned with content than anything else. If people wanted to spend all their time trying to build templates (or get ripped off for "custom" templates), they would use programs like Drupal, VBAdvanced, etc.

There is just too much free software out there to invest a lot of money in any program.....I paid almost $500 for PHPCOW a couple years ago, but with it running $100 or so now, I think its a good solution for those looking for a simple solution that lets them focus on content. They have a LOT of templates that are free to customers, and a template system that is easy to use if you want to customize your own. I've also talked to the staff, and PHPCOW 3 is soon to be released, as well as PHPCOW support forums, which should make a huge difference for end users.

If you have any questions about PHPCOW, VIVVO, or any other news publishing system, please feel free to email me and I'll help as much as possible. If you need help specifically with PHPCOW, I'll help the best I can.

Capper, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  9. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Capper,
    Can you please explain in detail what's wrong with VIVVO ?
    Is it software problem, support problem or performance problem that you have faced ?

Your inputs will help me to take a decision, as I was considering VIVVO because of it's integration feature with vBulletin.

Suri.CMS, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  10. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    Vivvo was recommended by someone here, so I gave it a shot. I'll say that the people were very friendly and eager to get us on board, answering questions, etc......but once they got the money, the tone changed (something I've seen with many online purchases).

First, when we were shopping,m there was no trial version to try, so we purchased it under the impression there was a money back guarantee.......shortly afterward, they began offering a trial version, and changed their verbage to say there was no money back guarantee......too bad for us, as we are out $395.

Second, Vivvo is really nothing special, and unless you are very good at HTML, its a worthless venture....again, people who buy a program like Vivvo want to install it and not worry about it. Making simple customizations should be simple.......but thats simply not the way it worked. While i liked the fact that Vivvo allows you to make any customizations you want.....its by far the least polished and hardest to work with program we tried.....and they charge quite a bit for their templates......which suck (Again, after we found out it wouldn't work for us, they refused to refund our money).

Like many of these programs, Vivvo is not based in the US, meaning support is not a 5 minute thing, its a day or more and the attitude leaves a lot to be desired....not to mention their ticket system is terrible.

If Vivvo had refunded our money, knowing we had purchased it before their trial version was available, and knowing that we had uninstalled it from our server, I might give them a pass. When you browse their forums, look at as many questions and support issues you can....most go unanswered, and many that are answered are done so in a really rude tone.

If you want Vivvo, I'd be happy to sell my license (Vivvo Professional 4)

This isn't to say that Vivvo doesn't have potential, but we had too many problems, and found it required too much work for the money we spent.

As to PHPCOW, we're still waiting for them to follow through on their release of PHPCOW 3, which was supposed to be out around the first of the year, and for the opening of their support forums.

Capper, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  11. paperdolls

paperdolls Peon

Best Answers:
    I found this thread to be incredibly insightful on a couple of levels, so thanks for all comments. I made the decision of going with PHPCow. I was just waiting to do the trial version first, just to get some practice time in, and then actually buy it with not much second thought.

But I sent a presales question to them some weeks ago, and I did notice a very curt attitude. I thought I was reading too much into it. But because whoever answered my question gave an unhelpful "yes/no" answer instead of actually elaboration, I had to send a follow up reply... which WAS answered properly as it should have been the first time. But I did make a mental note of their wasting time not answering properly the first time.

And I admit, the odd email notifying me of the ticket being closed felt rather "slammed door". Again, I figured I was thinking too much into it.

The way "representatives" behaved in this thread has really opened my eyes. And PHPCow themselves showing up to brag that they've gotten more customers really rang false to me, because I was becoming repulsed by the "pro" commentary. I didn't believe it was true at all, and it smacked of "in your face" bravado.

I looked into the other recommendations. Thanks for Capper coming back to follow up and give a review of Vivvo. I looked at them after seeing the recommendation and they do look good. The good points on them over PHP Cow is that they now offer 21 days free trial, plus their code is full source. But now there's the reality I will have to spend time programming.

I am just now wary about spending a lot of time tinkering with PHP/HTML. I am sick of having to do that on free code, and the WHOLE purpose of looking to spend some coin was to avoid that.

Anyway, in the future if you're representing a company in any way, remember this: "Never let 'em see you sweat."

This thread is drenched in negativity and bad vibes. You just can NOT afford to behave in such a manner when it comes to the paying public. "Yes, sir." and "I'm sorry for your troubles," and "We really regret you're having a hard time," and "We are implementing changes to improve our services."

KEY PHRASES, YOU GUYS! You should never accuse the public of being evil competitors, saboteurs, or recommend they go get mental help. That's just the kiss of death. And I am no longer as interested in PHP Cow. Sorry. Maybe not forever though. I do give people credit for recognizing mistakes and hard work on improvements. But this script has now been downgraded from Number One Pick to being put on the big list of "Which one do I want?"

Thanks again.

paperdolls, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  12. Elad-A

Elad-A Peon

Best Answers:
    it's an excellent platform...

Elad-A, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  13. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    Part of the problem could be the language barrier, but on too many occasions I/we've seen the attitude come through to simple questions or requests for help (Yes, I know they don't do "custom" work....but when you sell a product, sometimes you need to be a little more helpful with some things). Sometimes they are very helpful and nice, sometimes I have to say I've never seen worse customer service.

No, you weren't thats the way they end a conversation

I agree, and feel bad about being confrontational toward the guy.....but I felt my criticism was both constructive ("Hey, your customer service skills suck")....while also trying to point out that the program is good for someone who wants to simply pug a system in and be done with it, worrying about content and such. It is a good program, especially at the $100 they now charge (I paid a lot more)....is it perfect? No!, but they are supposed to be releasing a new version soon that uses a better editor (We turned them on to Cute Editor), and one that will fix several of the small annoyances (like the ability to add code to individual articles instead of through the templates.

Vivvo looks good from a distance, or simply by using the demo (although they now have a trial version, they didn't when I bought it). But I have to say that its no better than several of the free options out there, and the staff is extremely rude, even compared to the worst of the PHPCOW staff. All things considered, PHPCOW is a far superior program.

i think that lost on a lot of these companies......a lot of the people that buy them are the "middle men", who buy this program, then toss in hosting, a template, etc and charge a premium. These companies need to understand a lot of people who want to spend time on content, not coding a website, are looking for a program like this.

I agree 100%.......customer service can make or break a company. After starting this whole mess, I've literally gotten hundreds of emails about peoples experiences with the customer service people........none of it good, and far too many for it to be an isolated incident. Good customer service, and a willingness to work with people using your product, with a good attitude will overcome a few issues, and will result in a lot of good word of mouth customers......instead of having your name tied to a lengthy, and negative thread on a major forum.

Capper, Apr 13, 2008 IP
  14. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    If somebody wants to review phpCow they are invited to do so here: www.mytestbox.com
    Other users may benefit from that...

Why some companies like this have bad customer service? Clipshare has it, Astralsoft I heard has it...now phpCow...what is wrong with these people??

mg1313, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  15. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    PHPCOW3 was supposed to be released in December, then January, then the end of January, then before Spring, then by the end of Spring.......into May and still no word on anything. Also failed on their promise of support forums.....but what else could you expect? But hey, they have time to pimp their web hosting and new personal start page businesses!

I'm burned out trying to work with these guys, and dealing with excuses and rudeness......after 2 1/2 years and endless headaches and frustrations (as well as literally hundreds of emails from people who have had similar experiences or read this thread) I'm completely worn out with PHPCOW......its very sad, the program has so much potential, but the guys running it are without a doubt the worst people I've ever seen when it comes to dealing with the public. Have a question? Submit a support ticket that won't be answered and get an email that says the case has been closed!

To me, it speaks volumes that the #2 result for "PHPCOW" in Google Search is this thread...... but sadly, even though they know about this thread, and have seen how many people have mentioned their customer service, they have not changed anything about how they treat the people who support them.

Capper, May 2, 2008 IP
  16. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe...that's exactly what happened/happens with Clipshare people :)...nothing different. They have a very good looking website and product...but the support and how they treat their customers is less than crappy...it's horrible!

mg1313, May 2, 2008 IP
  17. Capper

Capper Peon

Best Answers:
    Check this out:

PHPCow: Hello. How may I assist you?
    Capper: How hard would it be to create a modification or a plugin that makes pagination for pages like this:
    Capper: http://hardwarelogic.com/authors/?authorID=2
    Capper: or maybe the ability to create blocks on the author pages that separate the articles into groups
    PHPCow: easy for master
    PHPCow: very hard for beginner
    Capper: that doesn't help me
    Capper: Hello? Anyone there?

(No response after that)

I think they have a Spanish decendent of Confucius working Customer Service for them.

Capper, May 2, 2008 IP
  18. Fern

Fern Guest

Best Answers:
    Personnally, i do not suggest to purchase PHPCow.
    - We had purchased 2 licenses of PhpCow for two web sites.
    - We have removed PhpCow on either of the web sites.

Because:
    a) PhpCow company have a really bad attitude with their customers.
    b) The scripts contains a lot of bugs. All little but very annoying.
    c) The product is incomplete and come with "no date" promises. Read: Do not expect them.
    d) Their Editors are very painful... often loose the characters properties.
    e) Absolutely no informations. Many functions are under the cover. We have to guess.
    f) The license is not for one domain name... it is for one specific domain name.
    As example: We have applied one license to a domain name for a web site.
    This web site have never been opened. Even for a single day. There's no way to change the domain name.
    g) Because of the lack of documentions (which is very poor), you will have to contact their support.
    They reply... not always clearly... and every time you lost 24 hours.
    h) Their templates are very wrong formatted.
    You must expect to invest a lot of time just to clean up their code.
    i) The learning curve is endless. And, once you catch a trick, do not forget it. Take a note.
    Because, once template full setup is done... a bad move can broke everything.

Finally... the product is not so wrong and the script is working but with full bowl of caveats.
    And, again... PHPCow have a very bad attitude with the customers once the license is paid.
    Do not expect nothing friendly from them. If you like to talk to a cooler, buy PHPCow.

But, before spending money on PhpCow, i strongly suggest all to consider another alternative.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem is the company itself.
    They definitively do not deserve your trusts and orders.
    Soon or later, you'll be disappointed.

Fern, May 10, 2008 IP
  19. extrememanoj

extrememanoj Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP Cow is better than Vivvo CMS. Its a better option for Newspaper / Magazine websites.

extrememanoj, May 10, 2008 IP
  20. Crisg

Crisg Peon

Best Answers:
    PHPCOW SUCKS! I purchased from them with install. I didn't hear from them for three days. When I finally contacted them.. they were brief enough to be rude. I tried installing it after that. The software is super problematic due to the heavey encryption. In the end I would bet they do this so that you that you host on thier expensive host. Serious serious trouble... anybody thinking about it.. DONT DO IT. It will be a waste of money and a be a nightmare if you stick it out with them. Also it's interesting that they do not give a refund cosidering that the code is encrypted and worthless without activation license! What gives?? Anyways.. I wish I had done a search for reviews first and found this posting and all the other negative postings. I didn't. It cost me $100. but I feel lucky! It would have been far worse if I had continued on with that lameness.. I feel a complete sense of relief! I found another system that worked well for my purposes. It's so well documented, good repsonse from developers, large large large cummunity forums and everything worked well.

It's been a few months since I purchased that PHP COW PATTY but i had to stop in and give a review. It's not about revenge or nothing. Like I said I feel lucky to have just lost $100. Nope I'm doing this for anybody who might be considering it. It's a duty amongst us. Good Luck. PM if need more info on New Publishing that works.

Crisg, May 11, 2008 IP