1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Experience with PHPizabi...

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by will2power, Aug 28, 2007.

1. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    mg1313, May 1, 2008 IP
  2. djacobs

djacobs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    djacobs, May 1, 2008 IP
  3. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    Would you like to write a review of Dzoic for www.mytestbox.com? And maybe for others? (except SocialEngine which was already reviewed)

mg1313, May 1, 2008 IP
  4. KrazyKat

KrazyKat Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad I found this thread. I was planning to use Izabi to start a site, but I have lofty goals of growing a site to a few 1000 users.

KrazyKat, May 21, 2008 IP
  5. toritaiyo

toritaiyo Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm also a former phpizabi user (from pre-Alicia days)

Great thread, by the way. Thanks for posting it.

I had my site for a little over a year and was pretty active on the support forums trying to contribute to a great community around a great CMS.

Things went south though. Didn't like Alicia. pre-Alicia was better (friendlier) in my opinion.
    Also my site got cracked by some jerks that were defacing phpizabi sites. I contacted some of the other victims and one of them told me about some phpizabi alternatives like Dolphin, elgg, etc.

I changed the focus of my site anyway around that point and kind of put the SNS part on the backburner.

But I plan to visit the possibility again and I like the look of Ning.
    Have any of you taken it for a spin?
    I haven't really looked into it too much but one of the webapps I use, swicki.com , uses it for their SNS.
    I'm not sure if Ning is a hosted service or if you can run it on your own server like a CMS. but it seems like you can run it on your own system from the looks of the swicki SNS site:

http://shoutouts.swicki.com/
    Looks pretty good to me. What do you guys think?

I like that it is simple and has an "open" feel. Probably wouldn't be good for those creating dating sites though

toritaiyo, May 21, 2008 IP
  6. raaj

raaj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am actually looking to partner with someone interested in launching a Social networking site. I have decided on Dzoic for now after looking at various threads and various software.

So if anyone is interested in partnering with me on launching a site, please PM me and we can speak further on IM. Some programming and designing skills would be good.

Cheers

raaj, May 21, 2008 IP
  7. ExtremistOak

ExtremistOak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is what phpizabi say so why is everyone moaning

From 0 to 10,000 users
    Shared Public Host
    Processor: 800Mhz
    Memory: 128Mb
    Storage: ~10Gb

From 10,000 to 50,000 users
    Shared Public Host
    Processor: 1.4Ghz
    Memory: 256Mb
    Storage: ~20Gb

From 50,000 to 120,000 users From 120,000 to 500,000 users
    Shared Private Host
    Processor: 1.4Ghz
    Memory: 256Mb
    Storage: ~35Gb Dedicated Host
    Processor: 1.8Ghz
    Memory: 512Mb
    Storage: ~50Gb

From 500,000 to 1,000,000 users Over 1,000,000 users
    Dedicated Host
    Processor: 2.8Ghz
    Memory: 1Gb
    Storage: ~120Gb Dedicated Load Balanced (2) DB/HT
    Processors: 3.0Ghz
    Memory: 3Gb
    Storage: ~240Gb

ExtremistOak, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  8. cleanersrevelation

cleanersrevelation Guest

Best Answers:
    I am actually trying to use Drupal for my Community Site, it's in early alpha now, and need a mass of skills

cleanersrevelation, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  9. ExtremistOak

Best Answers:
    I think phpizabi has the ability to hold alot of users. What sort of hosting is everyone using?

ExtremistOak, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  10. blogsabout

blogsabout Active Member

Best Answers:
    This thread was created last year.
    I assume PHPizabi has been developed further since then.

I'm thinking about using PHPizabi, does it still have the database problems?

How easy is it to set up protection, so only users with accounts can see the various sections such as video, etc etc?

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experiences!

Cheers

blogsabout, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  11. dragon321

dragon321 Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to know the same thing, PHPizabi, does it still have the database problems? can somebody post their experience here?

dragon321, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  12. MyMaddenPad

MyMaddenPad Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using izabi for a couple of months now and have 400 registrants before launch and maybe only 30 have been on at one time. I haven't had any problems with my server crashing but I'm on a VPS.

my site is http://www.mymaddenpad.com/

I have done a lot of customization to the mods on the site and to the script but nothing to the database. I'm praying that everything works great when in a couple of weeks or so when I get about 5,000 registrants. I just wish I could figure out this group mod that I have.

I read the horror stories of this mod but it was like from last year with their first release. They are on release 3 now and I go to the .com site to get support. The problem is that development seems to be dead and that not the .net or the .com site are doing anything to further the project.

MyMaddenPad, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  13. ExtremistOak

Best Answers:
    Keep us updated Ithink this database issue has been fixed

ExtremistOak, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  14. cia

cia Banned

Best Answers:
    This info is realy helpful...is there anything like, it wont cause a problem, if i just kep the theme as it is, with only 2-3 mods?

cia, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  15. logiczone

logiczone Active Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend dolphin for the starters. And most of the mods you needed are included in the package. And dolphin has better load balance and won't need dedicated servers. Well for phpizabi, I am using one now. It's only good for few people. But when you are going to cater thousands, i bet you, your optimization is not enough. Being db independent itself is the major problem. But don't loose heart. Maybe someone could come up with an ingenious solution. Looking forward for it

-Dj

logiczone, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  16. macadu

macadu Member

Best Answers:
    I checked out Dolphin previously and it seemed quite nice, although it did have some security issues, and saw some posts where all users were deleted by hackers from a site.
    phpizabi had some problems with feud between the owners, although I loved the idea of an open social network for free, but they have all these addons which can have a hefty price tag.
    You may want to check out Dzoic Handshakes which was mentioned by others, and I use it on one of my sites, and quite happy with it.

macadu, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  17. djanual

djanual Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, i know its and old post but i just find this forums searching for izabi info, so i guess i should start here, i´ve been using izabi since pre alicia versions, and the alicia one for almost the last 2 years, its by far a great script that allows all the customization you can imaging to your website, guess you can convert it to something that looks totally different to what it is. The main problems its has.

... Its dead.

No new mods, no news on development and even a notice from it main developers that they will not fix the security holes discovered. The only improvements i´ve seen came from some free modders in the com site. net its totally dead.

... Security holes.

As i said .net support its dead so you may check .com for security fixes, but most of the fixes are server site, so some users like me will dont have access to them. Ya my site has been hacked too.

So if you go for this script you should consider those 2 options. its a great script, but its a dead script i guess.

djanual, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  18. hm2k

hm2k Peon

Best Answers:
    I also had a look at PHPizabi, I reviewed it on my site. In conclusion it’s unprofessional, barely usable, unmaintainable, poorly coded and worst of all vulnerable to exploitation. This project is dead.

My question is what did you decide to go with and why?

Hopefully a “refreshingly professional, 100 per cent open source, social networking and dating application”, but I don’t hold high hopes. :)

I'm told OSDate or Boonex Dolphin are the next best thing.

hm2k, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  19. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

It seems the support of PHPIzabi does not have ANY knowledge of this.
    What will happen when there are 40.000 members at the same time on your shared pentium 1.4 server with 256 mb shared :D:D

By the way, check out all reviews about PHPIzabi!
    Their support sucks and the script have a few leaks (they might be solved now, not sure).

ilook, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  20. moneyfor_u

moneyfor_u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OH CRap......I've worked 2 weeks straight with sleepless nites customizing this damn thing, come to find out it's a sh!tty script..funny enough I dogged out the Dolphin script to use phpizabi..thanx for the info tho, I jus wish I'd read it much sooner....

moneyfor_u, Mar 4, 2009 IP