1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When will my Google Page Rank increase.

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by tillson206, Apr 28, 2008.

Hi all,

My website is www.soccerengine.net

Have been running the site now for 4 weeks an I have a unique visitor count of around 350 users. I have been doing varous things to improve the traffic going to my site. I have started by doing link exchanges and also posting the site details in as many online web directories as I can.

What does google use to determine your page rank? Is this simply the measured on the amount of traffic you have to your site? With a view to improving my back rank do you think that link generation or directory listings would be more effective? How long did it take you guys to get your sites up to page rank 1 and is 350 unique users acceptable for my first month?

Thanks for your help all.

James

tillson206, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Page Rank is determined by incoming links to your site. Content doesn't matter (although the better the content, the more likely someone is to link to it) and traffic doesn't matter. Directories and link exchanges may not pass any PR. You want to get one way links from related sites.

You should really forget about PR and just concentrate on your site and getting good incoming links. Google is always updating it's internal PR - the PR you see on the toolbar is only updated every 3-4 months. No one but google knows when it will be updated next.

mjewel, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  3. Accelerated Media

Accelerated Media Banned

Best Answers:
    You will see an increase in your PageRank when google has updated its datacenters with your relevant data.

Accelerated Media, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  4. tillson206

tillson206 Member

Best Answers:
    So one way links have more value than doing link exchanges? Do you think that 350 users is ok for first month or am I behind?

5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google's algorithm is a based on natural unbiased "votes" (links) to a site. Link exchanges aren't natural, the other site is only linking to you because you are linking to them. They are usually ignored.

350 users sounds like you are on the right track - although there really isn't a correct number.

mjewel, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  6. tillson206

tillson206 Member

Best Answers:
    Do Directory Listings count as one way links?

7. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The vast majority of directory links are now ignored or heavily discounted by google - especially the free directories. There are a few exceptions, and our course, there are the top three suggested by google's Matt Cutts - yahoo directory, BOTW, and DMOZ. You'll likely need links from authority sites (sites already ranking well for your sector/keywords) to get top rankings for any competitive keywords. Age of your site is also be a factor - the older it is, the more trust it can gain. Top rankings for competitive keywords don't happen overnight - it's a process, not an event. It can take a year or more for some niches.

mjewel, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  8. duncan pollock

duncan pollock Peon

Best Answers:
    Earning a page rank with Google isn't easy in the first case. In only four weeks, you're lucky to have one at all.
    But any increase is going to an extremely gradual one, if it happens at all.
    You need to have a website that stands out from the crowd. It has to be better than those of your competitors, who have probably been in existence and had a web presence for a much longer time than you have. And it certainly isn't going to happen overnight.
    Give it a couple of years before you worry about it! And, in any case, most experts consider page rank a relatively unimportant factor in SEO success.

Duncan ;)

duncan pollock, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  9. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "What does google use to determine your page rank?"

Back links.

Build lots of back links in order to improve PR.

angilina, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  10. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    Pr only moves when google updates it. Just work on getting links and you will be fine

rcj662, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  11. meaghannf

meaghannf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't know how google calculated their RP either - - I couldn't figure out why I was stuck with a PR of 1 for so long. Now I know that it's based on the backlinks. Either way, I'm still more interested in driving unique traffic to my site. What is PR good for? Does it bump you up in Google search results?

meaghannf, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  12. Goran

Goran Peon

Best Answers:
    Great job on the site. Not sure when the next update will be but keep up the good work.

Goran, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  13. how2makemoney

how2makemoney Peon

Best Answers:
    how to get links for a new site?

how2makemoney, Apr 28, 2008 IP