1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why does godaddy takes so long for dns changes?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by romeo2010, Apr 25, 2008.

Why does godaddy takes so long for dns changes?

it takes only 5 minutes when you make a change to a dns (nameserver) at name.com

where as godaddy.com takes forever... why is that?

romeo2010, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  2. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on whether it's a first time set up or not. You cant be serious about name.com propagating DNS that quick... it needs to be pick up by all the authoritative DNS servers around the world.

pj1s, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  3. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is that for a new domain or an existing one? It takes upto 48 hours for all root server's to be updated with the info for your new domain.

As for an existing domain, it all depends on the TTL (Time To Live) value. You're probably getting a faster response from name.com due to the TTL being very low (like 5 minutes). Most hosts have it set to a higher value, such as 1hour.

From what I've seen. GoDaddy only supports 30 minutes and 1 hour TTLs. This means you can't reduce the TTL beforehand for a scheduled change.

boltok, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  4. iam.xavier

iam.xavier Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey romeo... Usually DNS on godaddy will be updated in a couple of hours.. But it will be propagated in 24-48 hrs

You check your domain's active DNS here

http://www.who.is

iam.xavier, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  5. romeo2010

romeo2010 Peon

Best Answers:
    guys thanks for the info... but i am facing a big problem.... after i have changed the dns.. that doamin is actually pointing as domain add to another...

domain 1 pointing domain 2

now i cannot access to domain 1 from computer but i can sure access to domain 2.,... i find it very strange.....

its work find outside of my house....

6. iam.xavier

Best Answers:
    It will be helpfull for us to help you if you could provide us both the domains.. We will bring you the correct info...

iam.xavier, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  7. romeo2010

romeo2010 Peon

Best Answers:
    the two domain is

www.vipdesi.com pointing at www.vipdesi.in

i can access www.vipdesi.in but i cannot access www.vipdesi.com from my computer after the change of dns ... thats might not be the reason but just giving time frame since when its happening.....

i can access both domain from any other computer except from home...

i cannot be bannded from the server cus of firewall because both domain at the same webhosting www.vipdesi.in is primary www.vipdesi.com is domain addon

8. gate2vn

gate2vn Peon

Best Answers:
    dns updating can take only few minutes, but you cannot use immediately, mostly due to your ISP's DNS cache. 12-72 hours is the time for them refreshing. I myself saw once an ISP keeps DNS cache in one month.

gate2vn, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  9. iam.xavier

Best Answers:
    This is what Whois information shows about your http://www.vipdesi.com
    Unable to pull the records for VIPDESI.IN ....

ANyways.. I m able to access both the sites.. Both the sites has same content, But the root directory (MAIN SOURCE CONTENT) for both of em is VIPDESI.IN...

Try Refreshing DNS and clearing Cache... Sometimes this might create problems .... :)

iam.xavier, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  10. web-master

web-master Peon

Best Answers:
    godaddy has always been really quick for me and done it in less than 30 mins everytime.

web-master, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  11. iam.xavier

Best Answers:
    Very true web-master .... Godaddy's domain updates are real quick... I have very good experience with them...

Romeo your site's take for ever to load when i click on any link....

iam.xavier, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  12. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    GoDaddy isn't doing some magic that makes their DNS faster. They just set the TTL to a lower value. If you want to have changes reflected within 30 minutes, change your TTL to 30 minutes. It is as simple as that.

Currently, both domains (vipdesi.in and vipdesi.com) are hosted on the same NSs and point to the same IP. The TTL is also set to 14400 seconds (4 hours) for both.

If you want any of this to be different, contact the admin (or use a web-panel, if it is available) for ns1.imranahmed.com and ns2.imranahmed.com and have the values changed.

boltok, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  13. romeo2010

romeo2010 Peon

Best Answers:

How do we change TTL with WHM ?

ns are setup in goadddy domain account?

romeo2010, May 4, 2008 IP
  14. kirill2485

kirill2485 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is over 15 million DNS servers in the world, and GoDaddy's DNS servers are in Palo Alto, so in Palo Alto it would take less then 2 minutes, but the DNS/IP address has to be updated on all of them, once the settings on all the DNS servers are changed (which usually takes 40 hours to sweep thru the world), the DNS Name Server change would be updated on all of them.

Source: CEO2 of Zymic Webhosting

kirill2485, May 9, 2012 IP
  15. MayurGondaliya

MayurGondaliya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is just because they have loads of domains. When you add new name servers, it take some minutes for them to really update the name servers in the registry. Once it is done, it takes up to 48 hours for the DNS propagation around the globe depending on the ISP/Country.

MayurGondaliya, May 14, 2012 IP