1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Running a Directory as a full time Business

Discussion in 'Directories' started by JamieG, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Because you're coming here boasting that you're all that when really you're just another face in the crowd. Get over it:D

Spider-Man, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  2. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depends which domain :D

If your looking at Directory Share then yes it's probably wrong, it is currently being transfered from UKReg to GoDaddy at the moment so I can't correct it. As I said earlier, my fringe projects are being moved around and Directory Share is being transfered to a new owner.

Try the info on the Bidilicious project, that should be accurate.

Yes when you distort the figures... and you think I am an amatuer webmaster?? If so you should know that I was in the directory industry before pretty much everyone on this forum with a few exceptions.

Please, I showed you one week in November that contained a sale every single day and you twist that into 2007 profits! Your kidding me right!

November 2007 £879.93

So your comparison looks more along the lines of this:

2007 Paypal profits:

Silkysmooth made £6904.63

EventKing made £153.36

And as Spider-Man kindly pointed out, this is not my only source of income and it isn't my only source of income from the directories themselves, if you add on the advertising sales that figure jumps further.

Edit: For those who don't agree with publishing financial information... all of the figure I have mentioned have already been made public by me in a recent sales thread so it is not confidential info to my business anymore.

Like you know anything about anyone here. :rolleyes:

SilkySmooth, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  3. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

and to quote *you*:

an0n, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  4. contactusa

contactusa Active Member

Best Answers:

contactusa, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  5. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok Ok, I'll give that to you, it works out to about 87 listings @ £10 each, yes that's easily possible - but only if you get the traffic and that's my issue with general directories. The conversion isn't my issue at all, it's the traffic finding these things that I doubt.

I know you say it's not your main business, but that £6k works out at just £575 a month, and I wouldn't waste my time on anything less than the £17k I make each month, in an industry that's worth £11 billion a year. So as you can see the profits I make are easily obtainable, very easy and I'm surprised I don't make more than I do.

My Figures and Profits:

Visitors for 2006 = 634'350

Businesses listed in Oct 2007 = 760
    (760 x £40 = £30'400, and reckon could get away with charging £100 per client). Yes, yes, people do pay £40 per listing, as you've seen with my Paypal stats.

Over 1 million searches in 2006

No of clients = 1000 +

Total Profits for 2007 = in excess of shhhhh!

I'll make much more when my search engine goes live. Yes, the figures above are just for the directory.

I've said this on blogs, forums in articles etc, and I'll say it here as well. If you make £6k a month, then why are you wasting your time on forums?

But if you were making that kind of cash, then I would have heard of your directory wouldn't I?

Nope, never heard of you Sorry. Can't be that famous then. Now, I heard of dmoz, Yell.com, Thomson, Reed, Haymarket, Business.com etc - so forgive me, but who are you?

True, but then you don't know me either! So we're in the same boat mate.

Event_King, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  6. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm disappointed this has turned into an 'I can throw a stone further than you' kind of debate because I never posted for that reason. Event_King, if you are really earning that much money the serious question is why are you even on a petty forum like this? :confused:

JamieG, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  7. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    hahaha...seems jamie can throw farthest so far!

-This just proves you're a nobody in the directory world.
    -I'll be hell bent many new directory owners here will have heard of all the bigger directories mentioned around here, yet won't have heard of Reed or Haymarket.
    -The directories you mentioned have value of millions, not a petty £30,400, as you claim you made in excess of.

And finally, who are you, again?

Spider-Man, Apr 20, 2008 IP
    SilkySmooth likes this.
  8. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I apologize for my part in that and will no longer respond to the forum newbie and will stick to your original question. To which my answer was yes, I do indeed run my directories as a business.

Did you find the correct contact details?

SilkySmooth, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  9. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    No problems, I remembered I had your details from a while back and dug them out, was the working one ending in 315?? I won't ask you any questions ref this on open forum save to say any questions you may have I'm happy to oblige.

Off for a bit now, going to wind someone up with a review. :D

JamieG, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You lost me there. Maybe three copies, I dunno, but the version is three :evilgrin:

an0n, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  11. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I probably lost myself An0n, besides I'm only second guessing. My reference was to three copies being declared as sold not as what actually had been sold, but hey I don't know what script I'm talking about, or what their figures are. :evilgrinthatwouldscarearattlesnake: :D

JamieG, Apr 21, 2008 IP
  12. fireworking

fireworking Peon

Best Answers:
    From ages 0 to 13, i have only seen one directory in my life to get something. That would be DMOZ. you cant possibly make 60,000 dollars with a directory.

fireworking, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  13. einfoway

einfoway Member

Best Answers:
    Well directories dont earn you that much. And if you have just started then i am sorry. Yes if you have directory that have very good page rank and almost all pages are listed on google then you can get few $$ more. But to depend only on dir is not worth.

einfoway, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  14. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It can not be a full time business for most of us unless you have a directory like botw.org

xc06, Oct 11, 2008 IP