1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ASP vs PHP

Discussion in 'C#' started by 3kau, Mar 20, 2008.

Are there any advantages to using ASP over PHP?

3kau, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  2. jmhyer123

jmhyer123 Peon

Best Answers:
    No.

Just kidding, there may be I don't know because I don't use ASP. I prefer PHP because it isn't made by Microsoft ;) and because it is much more universally accepted and supported.

I don't imagine there is anything ASP can do that PHP can't do easier and more efficiently.

Just my two sense...

jmhyer123, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  3. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    well, for one, php uses inline code where as .net is precompiled and so quicker however the framework itself adds load to the server.

.Net is quicker to develop in - when we offered both .net and php .net on average was 20% cheaper due to the speed difference

Ultimately it comes down to personal preferences there are strengths and weaknesses to both

AstarothSolutions, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  4. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    The main difference is this: what you do with 100 lines of spaghetti code in PHP, you can do it much easyer in 10 lines with ASP.NET :) Yeah, not ASP. ASP alone is MS-DOS compared with the plus added by the framework.

And BTW, ASP.NET (and .Net development tools from Microsoft) are free also.

Yankee85, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  5. entwickler

entwickler Member

Best Answers:
    I am .Net Developer for more than 4 years and can assure you that ASP.NET 2.0 is one of the fastest web platforms. But it comes for a price: Windows hosting is expensive and MS SQL Server database hosting too. ASP.NET is more targeted at enterprise web applications. If you need a small CMS like system you can again use ASP.NET but only if the hosting price is ok for you.
    Good Luck!

entwickler, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  6. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    With our shared hosting Windows is cheaper than Linux on a like for like basis - our dedicated windows box is more expensive than the old linux one used to be though

AstarothSolutions, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  7. AndyFarrell

AndyFarrell Peon

Best Answers:
    i think the price depends on what your application needs.
    you can get good (not alot of space) asp.net hosting for 2$ and up.
    i think the best option for .net hosting is to get a VPS. install MSDE for SQL Database
    plus you can install new frameworks / tool kits with out having to stalk a hosting company
    windows VPS starts at 30$ i think with godaddy

AndyFarrell, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  8. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I would prefer PHP, as there are a huge amount of ready made scripts available and are free of charge compared to ASP. For PHP, if you need a function you can always find a script that is free, but ASP you may need to pay for it.

wisdomtool, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  9. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    There are more free scripts for PHP than ASP but at the same time there is no shortage of free scripts either.... cannot think of a single application type where I havent been able to find something. Given .Net is much more component based it is generally much easier to use them too.... eg captcha, add it to VS or VWDE and to ever add a captcha in the future you drag it from the toolbox onto the place you want it and its done plus a simple properties window is there to set any of the associated variables (in the case of a captcha level of distortion, number of letters etc)

AstarothSolutions, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  10. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I made a very simple test:

I wanted to build a simple database on a page, and be able to sort, modify, delete, and add rows within that page. With ASP.NET it took me 3 minutes with no lines of code. All was generated by the IDE. Even a good looking interface for that table. And also, with just one single click I was able to include pagination.

And even more, I added just the ScriptManager and UpdatePanel control on that table, and I had AJAX on that table!

Total time: 5 minutes. Code lines: 0

I wonder how fast and easy can you do that in PHP :D

If you want, I can post a video with all that :)

Yankee85, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  11. InfoSmith

InfoSmith Peon

Best Answers:
    ASP.net > PHP > ASP

InfoSmith, Apr 6, 2008 IP
    vpguy likes this.
  12. MarkusJ_NZ

MarkusJ_NZ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seconded, having done al three extensively, you cannot really compare .NET to PHP, PHP now has classes unlike classic ASP (Where you had to use COM if you wanted to do any real re-use of code). However, PHP is *still a scripted language* whereas .NET applications are compiled which means you can seperate out different layers (Business Logic, Data Layer) etc into different projects for re-use later.

Having said, that, .NET comes at a price like all Microsoft Products (Forget the freebie editors, any professional programmer knows that Visual Studio is a small price to pay for such a powerful IDE).

PHP has to play catchup to .NET in terms of power (Not just web power but the ability to easily convert a written app into a desktop application and back if needed, in .NET you just would need to change the presentation layer, what would you need to do in PHP? Could you even do it?)

However, PHP $hits all over ASP, if a scripting language for the web is your choice PHP no questions asked.

CHeers
    Markus

MarkusJ_NZ, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  13. vpguy

vpguy Guest

Best Answers:
    Exactly what I was going to post. :)

vpguy, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  14. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can put even two >> between ASP.NET and PHP, now with .NET 3.5, Silverlight, and so on :)

Yankee85, Apr 15, 2008 IP
  15. dylanj

dylanj Peon

Best Answers:
    Classic ASP VBScript may be crap, but it still has its' place in society... lol

dylanj, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  16. vpguy

vpguy Guest

Best Answers:
    As do murderers, rapists, etc. (Hint: locked up, key thrown away...)

vpguy, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  17. dylanj

dylanj Peon

Best Answers:
    So ASP VBScript is a rapist, eh? Lol xD

dylanj, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  18. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    lol... maaan, there is already asp.net 3.5 out, why to bother with asp? or even with php? :D

Yankee85, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  19. mahendras

mahendras Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not agree with ASP.net hosting is expensive. I pay the same price on Godaddy.com for PHP or ASP.net hosting. Both the languages have their own advantages but PHP puts less load on server and doesn't really require frame work to run on server. It just require web server so I recommend PHP.

mahendras, Apr 24, 2008 IP
  20. salman4raza

salman4raza Peon

Best Answers:
    asp is from microsoft, so it has many features that can crash your site, loads on it, bugsy that, and about all microsoft features applied to asp. you know.

php is more comprehensive and powerfull. with less load on server, quicker than asp, less bugsy, less working. but need more perfection in programming the only disadvantage.

salman4raza, Apr 24, 2008 IP