1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stay away from Yahoo Domains!

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by ecw, Mar 9, 2006.

I am way beyond frustration with this situation.

I have had a yahoo email account for approximately 7 years. I use this as my primary non website email address.

I have guessing 30 to 40 domains at Yahoo domains 19 of which have developed or partially developed sites.

Three weeks ago or so I woke up to find I could not login to my mail.

It took me forever to finally find a contact for I could use without logging in, since I couldn’t login and I couldn’t find a phone number anywhere. 

After waiting three days for a response I sent an inquiry through the publisher network to see if I can get anything.

The promptly gave me a phone number for login support. Login support told me that my Yahoo Domains account was suspended due to a TOS violation and could give my no further information. She gave me the abuse email address, apparently that is the only way you can get a hold of them.

I sent them a nice email explaining that I was the account owner and did not know what I did to get suspended and that I would like to know what it was and how I could get control of my domains back.

Three days later they replied with the standard email basicly saying you violated our TOS and we have the right to remove your login. Here is a link to our TOS. Well no crap.

I replied to the email still nicely but stating how ridiculous it was to suspend my account and not be given a reason why.

Three days later the idiot on the other end replied thanking me for reporting the violation.

Five days later still no response….

I actually think I now know what it is that got me in this mess but I cannot explain anything because I cannot talk to or email anyone reasonable!

Oh yeah, I never did get a response to my original email about my login problem but I did get a nice customer satisfaction survey.

ecw, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  2. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe if you are hosted at yahoo and they consider you are violating any TOS they at some point have the right to restrict your access to the hosting area but you should be able to access the domain control panel.

I purchased a domain from them to get the nice price but never hosted my site at yahoo. When the renewal date was approaching I simply transferred my domain elsewhere with no pain.

As I said, one thing is hosting and another domain names so they are being unfair applying the same criteria to all your account.

Mystique, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  3. ecw

ecw Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats it all the domains are hosted on my servers.

ecw, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  4. ecw

ecw Peon

Best Answers:
    My god! I just got a reply to my email after a week. It is exactly the same as the first one! This is beond frustrating.

What action can I take to regain control of my domains?

ecw, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  5. Alva Ed

Alva Ed Peon

Best Answers:
    Same story happen to my friend too. So bad.

Alva Ed, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  6. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Well this sounds similar to the problems that are being had with Go Daddy. I feel for you.

Sounds like it may be time to find a new hosting company. Personally if you are ready for it, dedicated hosting is definately the way to go. Managed if you dont know much about servers.

Hopefully you can gain access to your files again if you dont have allready. But unfortunately you are at the whim of yahoo. Perhaps you could argue the fact that the information is legally copywrited to you and that yahoo are holding it illegally and request that they backup your site and send it to you.

But then they could just delete it too.

Brad

Brad Callen, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  7. ecw

ecw Peon

Best Answers:
    The websites are hosted on my dedicated servers. It is the domains I do not have access to.

ecw, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  8. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    That is strange. I think I will start transferring my most important domains from them to my main registrar at DynaDot. I do not need this to happen to mine also. Let us know if you find out what caused this.

TheNetCode, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  9. andy11

andy11 Peon

Best Answers:
    ecw, What Yahoo did to you is totally unacceptable. It is like your bank saying you can't access your assets. Their hosting service is theirs but your domains are yours and not theirs. I would say play cool until you get back your doms or at least they let you transfer.

Thank you very much for sharing that with us. I am sure this word will spread like a wild fire.

andy11, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  10. ecw

ecw Peon

Best Answers:
    After my last reply I got a quick responce but it was the same form letter for the third time. They are funny huh?

I guess it is time to look into other ways to get access to my domains. Complain to icann maybe?

I think this is over phishing, but I don't know because no one will tell me.

I run a free host and one of the domains I allow subdomains on is one I registered at yahoo.

Every once in a while I will get a phishing site which I promptly remove on notification.

ecw, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  11. advancedfuture

advancedfuture Banned

Best Answers:
    Yahoo hosting is expensive too. I don't see why anyone would go with them. I started my account with them 3 years ago at 39 bucks a month. Finally cancelled them yesterday since I was never using them anyways.

advancedfuture, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  12. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow you waited a while to cancel. I decided to host my own dedicated servers. Was more cost effective than seperate accounts with the major hosts.

13. advancedfuture

advancedfuture Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL yeah I did. I was a little lazy in that aspect. I just didn't want to bother with transfering. But I went with a reseller hosting package with a different company and saved me a grip of cash. Can't say I had problems with Yahoo hosting like the OP but it sure as hell was expensive!

advancedfuture, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  14. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:

Yea I have heard their hosting is pretty good, but at the price they charge I am not that impressed. Besides the money I save by hosting myself is much better and I have complete control over my servers and domains this way. At least with a reseller hosting account you have more control now.

15. ecw

ecw Peon

Best Answers:
    Now they just return blank emails with no reply. Avoid them like the plague!

ecw, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  16. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    I love the companies that you ask a question of and they quote the same stuff from their FAQ's or Policies that have nothing to do with your question and then when you say something to them they send back a blank email or close the ticket out because they are to lazy to care about the consumer.

TheNetCode, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  17. Shawon

Shawon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ^^ lol yeah when i send an email for support they just reply with their usual automated messages

Shawon, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  18. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:

LOL Yea you have to love the stupidity of some of them. I have run across a few of them and then I am not nice to them in my replies and then their managers seem to get involved. Of course they try to defend themselves until I bombard them with copies of their stupid emails that we are receiving and then the story changes.

TheNetCode, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  19. candysmith

candysmith trying not to be evil

Best Answers:
    That is something I have to say FOR Google. Every time I have written to any one there, I get a personal mail back. No canned mails, someone actually answers my questions. MSN suck, they just don't reply. I've never written to Yahoo!

candysmith, Mar 23, 2006 IP
  20. plusd

plusd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem with a yahoo domain.

The cause of this problem might be if you buyed a domain from them and not maked hosting with them. To take back the control of the domain you need to call them or to reactivate your domain. So you need to pick a service they offer.

plusd, Mar 27, 2006 IP