1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Sift Listings Directories Hacked

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Scorpion, Apr 9, 2008.

1. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    damn!!!...all you directoy guys go through some big problems sometimes...

i wished i could help...but i don't own a directory and i am not good with sql...

good luck lads

fuse-box, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  2. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to prevent hacking, you should temporally remove the footer link saying something like powered by site sift.

The code is posted on several hacker websites where people with no skill can do it, they also have what is called a "Dork", essentially a key phrase that hackers can Google to find all site sift directories.

One of these Dorks is googling the footer text, so if you remove it until the whole is patched then it may prevent some, but it is not the only Dork, the others are related to the way the urls are put together which you can't change.

calum, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  3. alph

alph Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't anyone else think it's odd that Site Sift Media, Inc. is not posting any official patches or even acknowledging the problem? (or did I miss it?). Seems like they have abandoned it.

Calum has a good point, I would remove all site sift links and text from your site, or all your traffic will be people looking to hack your directory.

alph, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  4. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I will only have first but last site-sift directory...will consider removing the powered by footer link.

xc06, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  5. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, however it may be too late, it all has to update in Google's index aswell.

Also there are several other Site Sift "Dorks" that include the way it builds urls and the way everything is set out and you can change these, but removing the footer links may help a little.

I wouldn't consider, I would do it asap but it may make no difference anyway.

calum, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  6. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like there is a possible solution posted at SiteSift.

CanadianEh, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  7. Paz

Paz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

The solution posted at site-sift only prevents future hacks and unfortunately doesn't fix them. I was lucky and I had an SQL backup that was a few days old.

Another thing about the hack I want to warn other site-sift owners is that if you have version 1.3 or an email template mod installed, you'll have to check it because it'll no doubt send a message "accept/decline" "hacked by.."

Cheers,
    Paz.

Paz, Apr 12, 2008 IP