1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buyers beware of cheap rates ....

Discussion in 'PHP' started by vishnups, Apr 2, 2008.

Hi,

Are you looking for quality work to be done and insist on cheap rates. Remember that you won't get quality stuff at cheap rates. There are lot of script kiddies (guys who know bit of this and that of programming) in this forum who offers you cheap rates. But the results you can expect will also be cheap. Most of the buyers being non-programmers are not even aware of the fact that a program can be done in different ways. Coding done by these script kiddies will not be secure and robust with the result that in the long run you need to pay a heavy price for recoding etc..Even your website can get hacked if coding is not done properly. Please be aware of it. No genuine programmer will undertake cheap works.

As a php programmer I always insist on delivering quality and at a price. I never go for cheap works.

So remember that Quality always commands a price ..Never compromise quality for cheap dollars as ultimately you will have to pay a heavy price :)

Regards

Vishnu
    http://www.learnerstv.com

vishnups, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  2. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    All this is great and true, but I have found that there is true dissension in people who hire these script kiddies to work on their projects.

What happens is
    1> they hire someone for a job and they are going to pay way under market value ... Big Smile!!!
    2> said kiddie, comes up with excuses as to "why not" then stops responding to contacts ... small frown
    3> rinse and repeat ... ooh I just happened to get the bad apple, I'll try another kiddie. After all the cost of the two outsourced programmers together is still cheaper than getting a true scripter to do this ... small smile!!!
    4> let down again >> New kiddie >> let down >> New kiddie >> ....... cry baby cry

The the buyer goes off with a terrible taste in their mouth for programmers and starts labeling us scammers and bums.

The truth is you get what you pay for, every time, all the time.

ErectADirectory, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  3. murph

murph Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not necessarily agree that all cheap rates=cheap quality, as i have had some work done in the past at very reasonable rates and it was quality work. However, i agree about cheap rate programmers here on DP!

murph, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  4. vishnups

vishnups Banned

Best Answers:
    Cheap rates for low skilled work like html coding etc is OK. But there are guys who offer low rates for highly skilled jobs. As I told you programs can be done in different ways...It will not be evident whether it is robust or not...May give problems later on like slow loading pages, database errors, cpu overrun messages and warnings by host, security issues etc.. etc...There are lot of techniques, for example, by which a badly done website can be hacked easily. Search for SQL Injection as an example. Try this google link:
    http://www.google.co.in/search?q=sq...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Even a badly done form for inserting data in Database without proper coding can cause havoc....

Unless you are programmer or knows about the language in depth, you will not be able to distinguish between quality and bad code. It may appear as quality for you :)

vishnups, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  5. Dee2007

Dee2007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, I'm going to chip in here :)

I do agree you have to be very careful, especially when it comes to hiring a programmer, if someone needed a web designer or graphic designer, then most people have a portfolio or can at least show examples of past graphics etc, but when looking for a programmer a lot of the time people want custom work and therefore there are no examples of past work, you have to go on trust.

I got someone to do me some custom work a while back, they were fairly cheap, I say fairly cheap because people do offer services for a lot lower. But the result was terrible, in the end I had to put my trust in another programmer, who offered very fair rates, and he corrected it for me, and got it exactly right. If I had gone with the second person in the first place they job would have been half the price in ended up beening, but in the favour of the second person he did do extra for me without charging, because he said he felt for me, having to pay again to get it put right.

I also once needed a logo done like yesterday ;) and didn't have the time to do it myself, I was offered the ones for $5, $10 etc, but the results weren't up to scratch, I ended up paying a guy I thing it was $40 and he did a wicked one for me. In the end I decided to do the header in Flash, but the logo is great and will be used in the future :)

I don't mention the 2 who did a great job, but will recommend them in threads and to others off the DP forum

With regards to design work, I don't offer my services or reply to jobs wanted in the DP forum, because I can't/won't compete with the prices some people charge. My prices are very competitive for a web deisgner in the UK, and I won't under value what my work and time is worth :)

Ramble over

Dee

Dee2007, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  6. masterofdomains106@gmail.

masterofdomains106@gmail. Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a programmer hat I use for my personal projects, he is absolutely the best and he is only 5.00 dollars an hour but he also lives in a different country.

7. vishnups

vishnups Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL.....$5 dollars a hour and the best )...Means he has sufficient time and less projects...

vishnups, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  8. masterofdomains106@gmail.

masterofdomains106@gmail. Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah they are booked solid plus its a team

9. ihuangeri

ihuangeri Peon

Best Answers:
    great thread.

i've used overseas developers to build my online ecommerce store and have been pleased at both the rate and timeliness. Obviously things can always be better.

I'm venturing on into a more customized site that is going to require more programming. Any tips on where to begin as I'm not a programmer/coder by any means, but have the business plan and strategy detailed out. I guess, how do I go from my idea to figuring out exactly what type of programming is needed, etc.

Cheers!

ihuangeri, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  10. murph

murph Peon

Best Answers:
    My advice is to prepare for the work yourself and know exactly what you want well in advance of employing the programmer. This will save alot of agro

murph, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  11. vishnups

vishnups Banned

Best Answers:
    Absolutely correct. Most people are not aware of their exact needs.

vishnups, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  12. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    The biggest problem with outsourcing is that most who try it don't understand programming. So it works great with simple programs because there is only 1 barrier to break ... the language one.

When you move on to more customized scripts then you have both a language barrier and a programming barrier. This is where people get into trouble outsourcing. The workaround, hire a consultant that understands what you want to do and how to achieve this programmatically. It'll cost more but will save you many headaches.

ErectADirectory, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  13. vishnups

vishnups Banned

Best Answers:
    Recently another DP Member(rockbust) has come to me, in which he lost money ($500) falling in the trap of cheap rates offered. A genuine programmer never undertakes jobs for cheap rates. So better give a thought before falling in the trap of cheap rates and then re-doing the whole work...

vishnups, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  14. rohan_shenoy

rohan_shenoy Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is one more thing a buyer needs to remember: If you are paying high rates, still it doesn't mean that you WILL get quality work. Its not difficult for people to manipulate what other people think about them. They know that if they will quote high rates people will subconsciously believe that they offer something highly skilled.

Just to quote an example, for those who are Indians here and know about the Indian tech magazine- Digit, visit the below link and you will be surprized.

http://www.w3hobbyist.com/view.php?id=10

I had managed to intrude into their admin section due to poor coding. See it yourself at the blog post.

Moral: Never trust your web design/we programming firm. Always get their work reviewed. Love your website, not the web design company.

rohan_shenoy, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  15. warsome

warsome Guest

Best Answers:
    I had to learn that the hard way. I payed $10 to get an Arcade script from a Scripteen reseller. I got such a discount because a) The script is cheap, and b) I got it without the game pack.

Obviously, they only tested it with the game pack. Without it, the script just doesn't function. They failed to include many of the files, the links management page was a trail of broken links (All supposed to be on your site, too,) and when you add games, there is no way to set the width or the height, so it defaults to 0. That's just on the Admin side, too. The public side's "Add this game to your Page" section doesn't work, and the newest games thing doesn't work.

I am never going cheap again.
    (I did manage to get $5 of it back via a refund, but the other $5 the seller refused to give back, claiming "Well, you payed less than you should have, anyways."

warsome, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  16. vishnups

vishnups Banned

Best Answers:
    You could have anticipated what a $10 script will be like...There are also some guys in this forum who claim themselves as php programmers by offering cheap rates and cheats customers. Some of my clients have complained about having lost money by falling in their trap...

vishnups, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  17. dbbaker

dbbaker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Question from a someone who will be looking for a programmer soon. How do I find a good programmer? It can't just be price as I am sure there are not so good programmers that charge a lot.

dbbaker, May 2, 2008 IP
  18. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll do the work for free, whenever I have time. It keeps my skills alive.

Peace,

Barti1987, May 2, 2008 IP
  19. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd really like to see what sort of quality code these cheaper people write compared to the more expensive programmers. I myself wouldn't work for anything less than $20 AUD per hour when doing coding but i've seen some people charging so little I find it hard to believe that they can actually produce a quality result, let alone whether or not it works.

On this though, how much would some of you programmers on here charge per hour at minimum?

chopsticks, May 2, 2008 IP
  20. vishnups

vishnups Banned

Best Answers:
    Also, you can see some guys begging for work here...like I will do anything for $5 or $15 etc..etc.an enlightened form of Cyber begging...

vishnups, May 2, 2008 IP