1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Buy a Domain in Redemption Period?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by spiritfly, Mar 26, 2008.

I've been reading a lot around about how things work after the domain expires, but never really understood how should one get/buy the domain after its expiration. So here is my case which I want advice for:

The domain is registered at godaddy and its currently in redemption period. As far as I could cope, godaddy has about 42-45 days grace period in which the user is expected to renew the domain before it goes to the 30 days redemption period. So last time I checked this domain was expired on 03 Feb 2008 and apparently went into redemption period on 18 Mar 2008 (that was the last time the whois was updated). I went to TDnam to search for it, but this domain just wasn't there. So how should I get it? Should I use godaddy backorder? It is not THAT great of a domain so I doubt that anyone will want it, but still.

Any way, one other strange thing is that when I checked the whois today, it gave me only:

No information available for this domain
    Last updated: 26 Mar 2008 (today)

and thats it??

What should I do in order to get this domain, what are your suggestions?

spiritfly, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  2. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    Use the GoDaddy backorder and place an order with snapnames too just in case.

cianuro, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  3. spiritfly

spiritfly Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just did, but everytime I try to backorder it, it says that my cart is empty?!?

I enter the domain, choose Backorder which is 18 bucks, go to checout, godaddy tries to sell me other crap, I choose proceed to checkout and the next page is:

YOUR CART IS EMPTY

Start Shopping Now

I'm a BIG Question Mark???

What is going on?

4. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the domain name's status is indeed Redemption Period, then backorder it via
    SnapNames, NameJet, and/or whoever you can afford to take a chance with.

Dave Zan, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  5. spiritfly

Best Answers:
    But what about this thread

The guy says there that if you want a domain that is expiring and registered at godaddy, you can't get it through SnapNames or anyone else, because it goes straight to TDNam. But the thing is that the domain isn't at TDNam.

Can I get it through SnapNames if it is registered at GoDaddy ?

6. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The keyword there is "expiring". Expiration and redemption aren't the same.

If the .com domain name's status is INACTIVE (especially if expired), then ask
    the registrar if they have some backorder service like Go Daddy's TDNAM only
    for Go Daddy registrations. If its status is indeed Redemption Period as you've
    said earlier, Go Daddy's TDNAM has very little to zero chances of acquiring it
    due to stiff competition from more seasoned players like SnapNames.

The key to using the "right" backorder service is the .com domain's status.

Dave Zan, Mar 26, 2008 IP
    spiritfly likes this.
  7. spiritfly

Best Answers:
    Now this clears up some points.

So how does it go with backordering, how it is decided who will get the domain?

For example, if I backorder it for 60$ on SnapNames and some other guy does it right after me, who will get the domain? Or will the price start rising, like biding or something?

OR lets say I backorder it from GoDaddy and some other guy does it through SnapNames or anywhere else, so who will get the domain?

EDIT: Sorry for bugging, but I'm curious about this domain business, just one advice needed:

So if the redemption period ends in like 20 days, should I wait till the end before/after the domain gets into PendingDelete phase or should I try and backorder it as soon as possible?
    How will I get more chances in having this domain? Will I draw attention if I backorder it too early and someone will bid for more, or will they reserve it for me if I backorder it first? How does it go?

8. od3n

od3n Active Member

Best Answers:
    try ask their customer service for help. they can help.

od3n, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  9. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Backordering now or later won't make a difference unless you "miss" the auction. I would do it now if you want the name. It WON'T help the chances of you getting it, but better safe than sorry.

@ GoDaddy -> Backorder w/ GoDaddy... have it backordered with Snapnames/Pool JUST IN CASE. Chances they won't get it since GoDaddy catches their own domains, but just in case...

If anyone else is interested in the name, they will bid on it (regardless of the company you placed the backordering at).

Fka200, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  10. spiritfly

Best Answers:
    Thanks FKA200 I did a backorder at GoDaddy now, thinking about if I should go with Snapnames, they won't charge me the 60$ until I get the domain right? :)

Anyway, if anyone else is interested and bids higher, how will I know that? Will godaddy or wherever I have placed a backorder inform me about it?

11. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Exactly. You don't pay with Snapnames/Pool unless they get the name.

You should be informed about the name. Make sure to continuously check up on the domain and track which company gets it just in case it goes to auction.

Fka200, Mar 26, 2008 IP
    spiritfly likes this.
  12. everythingisplanned

everythingisplanned Peon

Best Answers:
    Redemption Period
    What is a redemption period?

Redemption period is the period during which a deleted domain may be reclaimed by the original owner by paying an additional fee. It refers to the period of 30 days from the date of deletion of the domain name. When a domain name expires without being renewed, it is deleted within a period of 45 days. The domain names which fall in the redemption period are put on hold by the registrar. Once this happens, the website and email services will stop working for a period of 30 days before the domain is included in the list of domains available for registration.

The registry will charge an amount as redemption fee to redeem a domain name. During this period the domain status may be displayed as "Redemption Period" or "Pending Delete-Restorable." The redemption period is actually the last option for the registrant to recover the domain name. The ICANN requires that the registries implement this facility so that the domain name holders might redeem a deleted name.

After the deletion of domain name, if the registrar does not request the name to be in registration grace period, then it enters the redemption hold period. After that the name will be available for re-registration. Once the domain name enters the redemption hold period then the registrar won't be able to renew the domain. If a domain name is in redemption hold period then its status will be "Pending Delete-Scheduled for Release". So it is strongly recommended to renew your domain name before it enters the redemption period otherwise the zone files get automatically deleted from the DNS.

If the registrar wants to restore a name then a special restore report must be sent with the background documentation and the reason for restoration within five days of request.

The deletion of a domain name may also arise due to registrant mistake, inadvertence, registrar mistake or by domain name hijacking. The redemption period allows the registrants to recover their domain names before deletion.

http://www.buydomains.com/domain-resources/domain-locking/redemption-period.jsp

everythingisplanned, Mar 28, 2008 IP